Sponsored by:

Story for everyone to read

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2000, 05:02 PM
Tallimeca
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently brought my 90 EB 351 in to a shop who I recently started dealing with after I wasn't very happy with my previous mechanic. I was leaking coolant......it appeared to be comming from the block....which it was. They called me and told me the manifold gaskets should be replaced, and i had them do the valve cover gaskets naturally while it was appart. They called me this morning and this is what they said. "We finished the job and took it for a test drive....don't worry we have insurance for this"... I thought to myself...hmmm, must have got in an accident right? "The oil pressure guage dropped and the motor started rapping really bad" he says. They're explanation is at this point, they think that when they cleaned out the sludge in the rocker assemblies, that something must have fallen into the sump and plugged the check valve...... The guys said he was up all night and sick to his stomach about it...which I can understand, I work on small engines myself. They are going to have the insurance take care of it. Now I called the engine rebuilder in my area, who they deal with and my father has dealt with in the past....whom is the best around from word of mouth. His feeling is that the insurance is not going to pay to have a motor with 120k on it completely redone, reguardless of how well it was maintained(which was almost too often!!). He felt they would pay to fix "the problem". My ideas are that #1, There is no way I'm going to let them put a used motor in there, requardless of the number of miles on it. It is used and I have no idea the internal condition and how it was maintained. #2 If the problem is currently in my motot, that it spun a bearing because of lack of oil....that is the problem now but what else could be damaged ???? I feel that even with the motor being 10 years old, with 120k on it, It was running when it went it, I've never had any problems with it and they knew it was ok cause they drove it a few weeks ago when they worked on it. The people at the garage thus far have been very coopertive......they took reponsiblitly for it right off the bat....which I was impressed by. Most people I gather would say well it has 120k and it could have happened anytime, it's not our fault it happened when we had it. What does everyone think is the best way to go about it. At this point i'm hoping to settle this without involving my lawyer, but the fact is I am without a truck for what I'm guessing is a month, the truck was running fine untill this, and from talking to the engine shop, the insurance is gonna make every effort to screw me. What are you're thought.

Old 02-12-2000, 12:37 AM
Katt
Senior User

I don't have much to say, other then Im sorry to hear that. That bites. Maybe you should get your lawyer minimumally(sp?) involved, just to scare them a bit.(The insurance company, sounds like the shop is okay)
Good luck!

Old 02-22-2000, 02:47 PM
xavetarx
Freshman User

I say, get a lawyer involved. Just let them know you are serious... a lot of people just pass things of when the insurance Co. gives them jack. It's your money and time...keep it that way.

Old 02-22-2000, 06:56 PM
mdo
New User