1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Low on power, smoke, fuel in oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:03 PM
MagKarl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Low on power, smoke, fuel in oil

Man, what is with this site? Spend 10 minutes writing out a detailed post and then it craps out and have to start over. Anyway, 95 F350 CC 4x4 5sp 221K, runs like crap, smokes unburned fuel. I started with checking UVC harnesses and VC gaskets. I found 3 bad GP's, but all of the wiring was good. Injectors all ohmed out in the 2-3 ohm range. I was kind of hoping that would be the trouble, but no luck. The oil is about 2 qts high and smells like fuel, so I went ahead and pulled the injectors. Didn't find any visibly bad o-rings, but I guess maybe something internal? Are there other causes of fuel in the oil I should check? I stuffed rags in the holes, but there was a lot of fuel and oil in the heads that ran in the holes when I pulled the injectors. I've been turning the crank with rags in there to soak some of it out. Is this good enough or should I pull the gp's and crank it with the starter after I replace the injectors? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:56 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, first things first there is nothing wrong with this site, merely operator error, haha.

I am gonna assume you have bad O-rings on your injectors or just a flat out fault noozle/plunger assembly. If you have fuel in the oil you need to change the oil and filter but a bad injector usually dumps fuel into the oil pan. Good luck

Cowboy Steve

Old 05-21-2007, 08:22 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have noticed the site has been having a few issue like you said you had. i feel you pain.

As far as fuel in oil there are really only two point where this could happen. The injector o-rings and the fuel pump leaking to the crank case.

For the injectors they may not look bad but could still not be sealing good. Make sure you put new o-rings on when you put the injectors back in. they are only one time use. As far as fluid in the cylinders. I turn it over by hand with the injectors out then install injectors and pull the glow plugs and turn it over by hand a time or two to make sure it won't lock. then crank with the starter.

If the new o-rings don't fix it you might be looking at a fuel pump. Other than those two things I can't think of another place they could mix. I have never heard of injector cups causing that but I suppose it might happen.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:29 PM
MagKarl
Elder User
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to get the injectors overhauled or swapped with the DIY kit parts by Rosewood. I will check around the fuel pump, anything specific you can think of to check would be appreciated. I plan on changing the oil before I reinstall the injectors and then changing again shortly after to make sure I'm clean.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:23 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Great info here, use it at your discression lol. You got it right MagKarl, definetly change the oil like you said to make sure your dry and clean. Good luck!

Cowboy Steve

P.S.- Tim, my injector plunger idea came from a KW dump truck were workin on and the plunger and barrels went out and it dumped fuel into the oil. Just merely some thoughts I had floatin in the head figured I'd throw 'em out at ya.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:48 PM
skittlejr
Elder User
does the smoke ever clear up after running a while? does the engine have a fuel knock? you didn't mention that happening, but those are symptoms of an overfueling injector. but it's still probably an internal injector problem, or a tip problem. inspect the tips real good. rebuilding the injectos is a great idea. if the fuel pump were leaking, that wouldn't explain the unburnt fuel in the exhaust. the bottom oring would be the one to check real close for damage, but that's probably not it especially since you already checked em all. if it were the set separating fuel/hp oil, you would most likely, like 99.9 percent, have oil in the fuel because of the pressure differences.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:03 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by skittlejr
if the fuel pump were leaking, that wouldn't explain the unburnt fuel in the exhaust.
if would if the crank case is over full and there is too much thin oil splashing around allowing too much oil to get to the cylinder walls. There can be too much oil there that the rings can't scrape it all off then you have excess oil smoke.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:05 PM
MagKarl
Elder User
I never really got a chance to get the truck warm on my test drive, the plastic clutch master cylinder pushrod decided to let go. Smoke seemed pretty consistent to me. The seller said this problem came on all of a sudden, not a gradual increase in smoke and loss of power. Then the truck was undriveable in addition to running poorly, plus the tags expired and it needs an emissions check that it won't be albe to pass, he got pretty flexible on his price. I decided to roll the dice and hope it was a simple repair. Lucky for me my uncle has a trailer big enough for a long box crew cab. What if anything can I do to inspect the injectors? The only thing I've done so far is wipe them off and pull the solonoids to measure armature plate clearance, which was approx 0.003". What should the tips look like? Does fuel flow around the tips or through them? I didn't see any holes, but they do have some carbon looking coating on them.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:06 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Isnt that what blow by is Tim???

Cowboy Steve

Last edited by powerstroked162; 05-21-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:13 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

not really. it can happen at the same time a with worn rings but you can have so much oil/fuel in the crank case that the oil ring can't control all that oil. Then it just slips right on past and into the combustion chamber. then when the piston is coming back up the compression rings collect all that oil then when combustion happens the oil is burned just like the fuel.

Injector issue are much more likely in this case as I have never heard of a fuel pump leaking into the crankcase but it is still a possiblilty.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:15 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
back to the drawing board.....

Cowboy Steve

Old 05-21-2007, 05:16 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by MagKarl
The only thing I've done so far is wipe them off and pull the solonoids to measure armature plate clearance, which was approx 0.003". What should the tips look like? Does fuel flow around the tips or through them? I didn't see any holes, but they do have some carbon looking coating on them.
.003 I think is good. I believe you need to be able to slide a .002 feeler in there anything less is bad. The good thing that tells you that if it is an injector problem your injectors should be good for the rebuild (I think! I am not injector expert)
Fuel comes out very small holes in the end of the tip. the holes are something like .007 or maybe even .005 can't remember for sure. The carbon build up is normal from combustion.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:39 PM
MagKarl
Elder User
I was pretty excited when I measured the clearance to be 0.003. I was afraid they might be original injectors and too far gone for an overhaul. Lucky for me I've got a hodge podge set with several different solonoid and o-ring variants, no way this set is original. I'll have to take a closer look at the tips before I box them up to see if I can see any holes. I think I'm going to get a stage 1 budget built set from Jim Rose and see what that does for the situation. Price looks good and might as well upgrade while I'm in there, right?

Old 05-21-2007, 05:56 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Best bang for the buck. Sounds like they needed to be rebuilt, might as well get them upgraded for a few extra clams.

Cowboy Steve

Old 05-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MagKarl
Man, what is with this site? Spend 10 minutes writing out a detailed post and then it craps out and have to start over. Anyway, 95 F350 CC 4x4 5sp 221K, runs like crap, smokes unburned fuel. I started with checking UVC harnesses and VC gaskets. I found 3 bad GP's, but all of the wiring was good. Injectors all ohmed out in the 2-3 ohm range. I was kind of hoping that would be the trouble, but no luck. The oil is about 2 qts high and smells like fuel, so I went ahead and pulled the injectors. Didn't find any visibly bad o-rings, but I guess maybe something internal? Are there other causes of fuel in the oil I should check? I stuffed rags in the holes, but there was a lot of fuel and oil in the heads that ran in the holes when I pulled the injectors. I've been turning the crank with rags in there to soak some of it out. Is this good enough or should I pull the gp's and crank it with the starter after I replace the injectors? Thanks in advance.
When ever I spend more than 1-2 minutes typing a post I copy it and then hit sumbit. I've lost a few big posts that way. I too, feel your pain.

Be sure to get a much of the oil out of the cylinders before you fire it. Hydraulicing your motor is no fun, bent parts ect

Good luck with your DIY injector kits. If you stumble on the rebuild come back here, lots of guys have done it successfully. That's my next mod for me too.

Quick Reply: Low on power, smoke, fuel in oil