Sponsored by:

Which year Bronco should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2000, 11:48 PM
smoke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a Bronco and was hoping to gather some info regarding what I should look out for, good and bad. I'd like to buy relatively new, 1990-1996, and although I feel pretty well informed, comments from current Bronco owner/fans would be incredibly helpful. Salesmen aren't going to point out a vehicles faults...
My questions include: how well does the original paint hold up (my father had trouble with a 1988 F150 paint job), are there any consistent problems with a particular model year, what should I expect in terms of maintenence, should I avoid Bronco's with 100,000 miles, should I buy from a private party or a dealer (just thinking about extented warranties) and anything else I might be overlooking!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've haven't found much info on-line, except that Bronco owners LOVE THEM!

Best!

Old 07-23-2000, 12:46 AM
Torky
Senior User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 23-Jul-00 AT 01:56 AM (EST)[/font][p]You didn't mention engine or trans that you were interested in, or what you planned to do with it. There are a lot of people lately buying 4WD trucks that never leave the pavement, and most of those people have no clue how things work, don't do their own work, except for putting on steps or junky stuff like that. If thats you, a Honda CRV or something like that may be a better choice.
But, if you do your own work, or are interested and willing to do it, and to get a manual and dig into things, welcome!
Bronco's are tough machines, can climb about anything, and are built strong. Most sought after are the 351 (5.8L), E4OD auto, 3.55 rear with Limited slip. Towing package is a plus, even if you don't plan on towing, due to the extra coolers. I would avoid a 96 only because of the much more complicated computer, can't use a simple code scanner on those. Check out the auto trans good, a delay for reverse to engage is pretty much normal, but slamming into gears or slippage is not. Be sure you test out 4LO (shift in and out of this only in Neutral) and 4HI. Make sure both front autohubs engage properly in 4WD. And they both should disengage after shifting back to 2WD, and backing up 10 feet or less. Replacement autohubs are $$ like $250 apiece.
The back window mechanism, interlock switch, flexible wiring to tailgate are a common problem with age. That window has to go down each time to lower tailgate. So far, I have had no probs there, knocking on wood.
91 was the last year of a body style, had an update for 92 on. I prefer the 92-on look, but thats a personal preference thing. 4 wheel anti-lock brakes were added in 94. Other than that, don't think there was a lot of change year to year.
And I plan on hanging on to mine forever!

Old 07-23-2000, 01:51 AM
smoke
New User

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. The tip on the computer system and the anti-lock brakes are a great help. I definitely want to avoid computers, at least in my vehicle! My father has a 96 and has had a good amount of trouble with it, especially with the tailgate. He's also complained that he hasn't been able to work on it himself, and has ended up spending lots of $$$ at the mechanic. To be fair, the man he bought it from didn't take care of it at all.

My father also has a 78 Bronco, which I happen to love the looks of, though I think I would be way over my head with regard to maitenance/rebuilding. I helped him rebuild the 78, but he was definitely the leader of that project. He also rebuilt two Grand Marquis' (67 & 68), but that's another story...

I know what you mean about the SUV craze that's going on, and promise that I'm not taking part in it. Aside from Ford being the primary vehicle in my family forever, I really love the idea of being able to work on the vehicle, and make hands-on improvements, as opposed to going to the mechanic for every little problem due to computers and everything else you find in new cars and trucks. I don't know, I guess I'm a little old fashion or nostalgic. I love the Bronco for the size, strength and versitility. I know they hold up well with proper care, and feel it is a better investment in the long term, especially compared to a lot of the newer vehicles I've looked at.

One other question. I believe there was an engine change in 1990. Is there a radicle difference between the old and the new?

Thanks again!
LJ

Old 07-23-2000, 09:33 AM
RRL78
Senior User

Hey LJ, if you don't want the computer problems, and you don't want to pay a mech. to fix anything, and you would like to do the mechanican yourself, that '78 is the way to go. I own a'78, daily driver, has air, power brakes, power steering, manual locks,( no motors to wear out ) roll down windows ( 22 years old and still working, no motors to wear out ) manual hubs, 400 C.I.D. engine, C-6 tranny, NP 205 transfer case. The best truck i've ever owned, easy to work on, (when needed). Don't get me wrong, i like all year bronco's but when it comes time to do some work on them, the '78-'79 models are the simplist, (I.M.H.O.). Which ever year you decide, i wish you luck, and if you need help on repairs, just keep us posted, theres alot of good help and advice on this board. Rob

Old 07-23-2000, 12:18 PM
Torky
Senior User

Hey, that sounds good. I should clarify that 96 intoduced a NEW computer, required by Gov't mandate for emmisions diagnostics. Thats diagnostics for them, not for us! Earlier models have computers, except 78-79, maybe 80 & 81. All the fuel injected engines obviously have and need a computer. That alone doesn't worry me anymore, the computers do some good things too, better driveability, gas mileage, power (in stock form). But 96 was a big step up in complexity.

I haven't heard about an engine change in 90. Anybody know????

Old 07-23-2000, 02:35 PM
smoke
New User

Thanks again for the great tips. I think I'm getting the date of the engine change confused. Maybe it was 1980? Thanks also for clarifying the computer changes. I really want to try and keep it as simple as possible, and would like to avoid any heavy presence of computers with regard to my vehicle.
I plan on starting to really check out actual vehicles in about two months (I'm relocating). This message board is absolutely the best, I'm sure I'll be 100% informed when it comes time to buy!

Best!
LJ

Old 07-23-2000, 05:28 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster

OBII is a pain, but the 94-96 Bronco's have the most power available. The 5.0l and 5.8L are the are both great. 96 5.0l had 205hp and 275ft/lbs. The 5.8l had 210hp and 330ft/lbs. It's obvious which is a better towing motor. As far as mileage the 5.8l will get about 3-5mpg's less. As far as performance, the 5.8 will be a bit better, and would be smarter if your planning for a lift kit and larger tires.

Pastmaster's 1993 XLT 5.0 E40d 3.55LS Normal Cab/Long bed Loaded from the factory with aid of...MSd 6a ign/s.p. wires, blaster coil, Hypertech Chip, K&N filtercharger, Cat-back dual exhuast w/o mufflers, 3.5", echo tips, Accel distributor cap, Dark Mocha over light mocha. 5% Dark tint, Alpine Cd player/remote, Pioneer speakers.

Old 07-23-2000, 05:32 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 23-Jul-00 AT 06:33 PM (EST)[/font][p]>>
>One other question. I believe
>there was an engine change
>in 1990. Is there
>a radicle difference between the
>old and the new?
>

Which engine(s) are you talking about for a change? The 1985-1991 5.0's and 5.8's didn't change much at all. The 5.8l EFI came along in 1988 and replaced the 351HO(220hp) and it had 210hp. 1992-the 5.0 gained 10hp and the 5.8L lost 10hp(gained 5ft/lbs of torque?) 1994's-and newer that have mass air all gained 10hp, and 5-10ft/lbs of torque.

Old 07-23-2000, 06:55 PM
mauzer1
Senior User