6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Six-Gun Towing a 7% grade --- Video link

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:13 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brad keep in mind that Bowtiehtr is a world class FORD DIESEL TECH & I dont think he is guessing I think he is telling you what the problem is & it sounds like he's run into a few of them before I would take his word as gospel in these cases!

Old 05-30-2007, 04:45 PM
badbrad60
Senior User
10/4 on BTH. He has helped me on a few issues and although I don't know him personally, he always takes the time to help out if he can. I just recently asked him about the y-pipe fix. He was working on a few F-450's with this same problem, and said that it was the EGR Up-pipe that was slightly cracked. Im going to look at the 6.0 bible and see how I can inspect the the up-pipe...~Brad

Old 05-30-2007, 05:15 PM
eshoaff
Junior User
Please let me know what you found and how you found it. Bowtiehtr does seem to imply that it will get worse at which point I'll take it in but I'd still like to know how it worked for you.

Thanks

Old 05-30-2007, 05:44 PM
bfloyd4445
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
After listening to your tape, and the high praise BTH has gotten. My hats off to you BTH, I still get a feeling its heat related. I would have sided with BTH except I think I recall you mentioning that it didn't happen if your tuner was off? The reason the factory dosen't use those aftermarket tunes is that they tend to make things hotter requiring more money spent on larger cooling systems and more controls so they opt to keep the price down and not make the mods leaving that up to the owner. For most, happy with mediocre HP and Torq, aint no big deal cause dependability is what they want at the least cost. To make a long story short, have you upgraded your exhaust system to lower the EG temp allowing your choked factory engine to brath better and keep its cool more easily? As BTH mentioned cracks are common especially under heavy load in the exhaust manifold header area. I've had tons of em myself back in my go fast days<smile>. BTH's educated ear is worth listening to but also it wouldn't be a bad idea to do what you can to lower your eg temp especially if you tow much. Hey, I didn't get much from your video except for the fact I could hear your truck working hard and doing its job. Love the sound of an engine in labo! Thanks for the clip

Old 05-30-2007, 05:45 PM
badbrad60
Senior User
Pic of y-pipe to EGR

From the Passenger side exhaust manifold, the small branch the flares off the EGR cooler, is the assumed culprit. Not sure how to check other than rip it out and look.

Floyd, in regards to the heat issue and the tuner, as soon as I switched of the tuner, the truck shifted and allowed the engine to be out the "problem" zone of 2700 rpm..and be in the happy zone of 3300....But I hear ya...~Brad

Last edited by badbrad60; 05-30-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:05 PM
bfloyd4445
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Floyd, in regards to the heat issue and the tuner, as soon as I switched of the tuner, the truck shifted and allowed the engine to be out the "problem" zone of 2700 rpm..and be in the happy zone of 3300....But I hear ya...~Brad[/QUOTE]

Brad, my experiance is that these tiny cracks are often not visable untill she gets hot and things expand. If you take er off and there is no obvious crack try heating er with a torch. In the beginning I never noticed a problem till a burnt valve popped up. Burnt cause the freash air was coolin stuff down causing the valve not to seat properly. Back then there was no FTE, no puters........chuckle. In my jeepin days i soon learned to keep them motor mounts tight and to watch my EGT.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:42 PM
rrrrick
Senior User
good wavey gravy my 05 made that same gawdawful noise. After several trips to the dealership , ( I actually switched from a car dealer to a truck dealer in between)
The tech replace the tensioner and the belt and the noise went away. I could watch my RPM drop when my truck would make that racket and the water temp would start climbing.
Mine would only do it towing my 44' trailer up a grade

Old 06-04-2007, 06:28 PM
The Padre
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445
.... my experiance is that these tiny cracks are often not visable untill she gets hot and things expand. If you take er off and there is no obvious crack try heating er with a torch. .....

Try this. Something a little less obtrusive. Spray windex or cleaner on one side of the pipe and if you see wetness on the other side you have a crack.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Desert_Dude
Junior User
I had a similar sound in my F250 while towing up 6-7% grades with my 12k Toyhauler a few weeks ago.

To me it sounded like a fan clutch as it was a more clearly skin crawling SCREACH for a few seconds when the cooling fan was engaged.

The reason I post is: Is it going to do me any good at all to take it to the dealership? The only time it happens is when towing up a steep grade with a full hauler... how am I supposed to replicate that for a tech?

Old 06-04-2007, 09:03 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
dude I think yours sounds more like a belt slip issue than a exhaust leak

Old 06-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Desert_Dude
Junior User
Originally Posted by hotroddsl
dude I think yours sounds more like a belt slip issue than a exhaust leak
I was thinking the same thing but it really sounded like like the squeal of bearings grinding on themselves.

Similar to the sound my fan clutch made just before it went out on another one of my trucks...

I am going to mention the belt slippage issue to my dealer, they just recently had to replace the power steering pump...

Old 06-09-2007, 12:00 AM
eshoaff
Junior User
Does anyone know if there are sensors in both the Tranny and Motor that cause the fan to kick in? I wonder if a hot transmission (automatic) can turn on the fan.

I need guages, EGT, engine temp, transmission temp, does anyone have recommendation.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:55 PM
mittsoff
New User
Hey fellas, I have a stock 2005 PSD which I run with only top quality synthetic oils. My PSD still whistles when towing my 30ft 7500lb fiver uphill. I'm taking the whole outfit to my dealer for a ride along with a tech this Saturday. I was a trucker for 8 years and I know this whistle is not normal.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:02 PM
zss42002
Elder User
has anyone found the problem/issue what is causing this any fixes?? i am having the same noise.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 PM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
When my truck did this pulling hills with the 5er weighing 12,000 lbs. I read a post where the op had replaced the tensioner on his fan belt. Well that was the exact same problem mine was. There was definately a difference. If you can move the tensioner with a standard ratchet and not straining then it is weak. A new tensioner takes a breaker bar and lots of pulling strength... It is a lot easier solution to try first. Just trying to give anouther solution that has worked. And mine was a mix of screech and whistle was hard to describe.

Quick Reply: Six-Gun Towing a 7% grade --- Video link