Sponsored by:

How much did I lose?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2000, 09:22 PM
roscoe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much did I lose?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 19-Oct-00 AT 10:30 PM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 19-Oct-00 AT 10:28 PM (EST)[/font]

Just installed a rebuilt 351 HO in my 87 Bronco. It needed a muffler as well...so I bought a (rather expensive [I think I was taken but no one else sells them around here-we are such a backward state, Maine]) Flowmaster Delta flow after much to-do on these message boards. It otherwise has stock exhaust manifolds and the CATS were previously cleaned out. It originally had a Ford muffler with 2 stainless tail pipes (I'm assuming: its 4+ years old, solid as a rock, rust free, and cuts hard) from the muffler. As part of wanting to get this truck on the road ASAP with new motor (126 miles) I had the shop install the Flowmaster and use one of the two tail pipes (the 2nd one...don't ask-another brilliant move on my part)to "save money". Flowmaster is a single 2.5" in/ single 2.5" out. The stainless tail pipe is far less in diameter (maybe 1.5"+/- I.D.)and now, in retrospect, I'm wondering if I'm defeating the purpose of the muffler. Am I losing any power/ mpg gains or was I being too optimistic to begin with?? Would I be better off changing it to a cheaper run-of-the-mill-but larger diameter tail pipe?? What do you you all think?
Thanks
-Skippy
(PS: OK, whats with the involuntary italics?)

Old 10-20-2000, 02:38 PM
Ben_E
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much did I lose?

I don't think the smaller pipe will hurt anything. But I do think you defeated the purpose of having a high flow muffler. If anything your old setup flowed more. If you still have the other small pipe you could reconect it using a y-pipe. It would attach to the outlet of your muffler then split into two smaller pipes. Two small pipes is better than one. Or you can have a new bigger tail pipe bent up and installed at a muffler shop.

Old 10-20-2000, 03:38 PM
tite4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much did I lose?