1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How not to level

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 05:15 PM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
How not to level

A coworker of mine and myself were comparing our trucks. I mentioned that I want to install a leveling kit. He told me that his only cost $25. I said no way. I went and looked at it and this is what I found.

Tell me what you think. I WILL NOT run anything like this on my truck. How about all of you all.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:43 PM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a bit redneck but does the job

Old 10-21-2007, 05:43 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
What he has done is concentrated the load into a much smaller surface area, which will result in a greater potential for breakage, not to mention the fact that since he doesn't fill up the entire open space, there is also the potential for things to get loose - again, especially if there is a significant difference in expansion/contraction coefficients with temperature changes.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:49 PM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
The thing is he probably has 60,000 miles on this setup.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:35 PM
JOE-M
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd modify it with a wider flange on top but yes I'd run it.
Joe

Old 10-21-2007, 06:39 PM
mstiles19
Posting Guru
haha did he make the blocks himself?

Old 10-21-2007, 07:56 PM
dogman
Elder User
and the U-bolts don't sit down right to, and there not harden too.... Not good

Old 10-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Flatdeck
Senior User
That looks dangerous, and just perpetuates the stereotype us northerners have of the state in which he resides. If front lift blocks aren't illegal in your area, they should be. If he thinks it's okay, tell him to have an inspector look at it.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:12 PM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
I don't know if they are illegal but they sure look unsafe. He told me that he had to drill out the block where the pin goes into it. I posted pics to see what kind of comments I would get. I want the DR mini springs for my truck. I do know that the 4x4 mags will not run pics of front lift blocks.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:47 PM
mstiles19
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Flatdeck
That looks dangerous, and just perpetuates the stereotype us northerners have of the state in which he resides. If front lift blocks aren't illegal in your area, they should be. If he thinks it's okay, tell him to have an inspector look at it.
just wondering why is it unsafe to have blocks up front? What makes it different from putting blocks on the rear of a truck(i just assumed it had somthing to do with steering)? Is there any legit reason why not to put blocks up front, i would really like to know.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:58 PM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
I have heard of lift blocks twisting out of rearends because of axle wrap. I havent seen it or experienced it. My 88 F150 has 5" of lift blocks in the rear. I think that they are just frowned on. I would at least find a wider better built block. The one on this truck isnt long enough to be between the U bolts. I know that he has alot of miles on this setup and hasnt had any problems. Maybe if someone was to use a factory 2" block it would fit better. I have seen some strange redneck lifts. I had a friend that made homemade lift blocks for a truck one time. I also dont think that the ubolts are the right ones. This is on a 02 F250 7.3 crew cab.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:45 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
One of the functions of the leaf spring is to locate the axle, another is to control the axle while it is locating that axle. The spring has a hard enough time doing so when the axle is bolted right up to it. The farther the axle is away from the spring creats more leveraage. The greater leverage makes the job of doing the control and locating extremely difficult, and the results are increased axle wrap during both acceleration (in 4wd) and braking. We have all experienced axle wrap, and never think that it occurs in the front axle, but it does.
Now that being said, as you apply the brakes the axle tries to rotate foward, and when this occurs the caster changes. Having the caster change during an emergency stop is downright dangerous, for lack of a better term. Make the block taller, and the laeverage gets greater and so does the axle wrap. The end result is a truck that is wanders during braking because the steering geometry is changing randomly, and the steering is getting faster.
This added roll of the axle also pulls pretty hard on the leafs as individuals. Since there are few leafs in the front pack (2) the chances of one breaking have increased. Don't know about you, but I sure do not want to be the guy who finds out how a Super Duty drives on one leaf.
The front also sees many different loads. Because the front axle is a steering axle, it will experience side loads during steering cycles that a rear axle does not ever get exposed to. These added side loads also make steering difficult, and again the added leverage can cause the block to pop out.
The biggest reason I guess would be the axle wrap under braking, and the dangerous effects it has on the performance of the vehile with regards to saftey.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:14 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn.....front blocks are illegal in many states.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:21 AM
GregsSD
Posting Guru
Never put blocks on the front because the front axle is where the majority of your braking power comes from, and the trucks weight shifts to the front axle when you brake so there is a much, much higher twisting force than on the rear axle.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:48 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
Front blocks are illegal in just about all states. Reasons being listed before along with the fact that the front axle sees side loading also from the wheels being turned under load. This is very dangerous and very stupid (for lack of a better term). I have run blocks in the front before (when young and dumb). I spit them both out at different times. Now, these were only 1" blocks. Let me tell you, it make for an interesting time when trying to whoa up a 7000 lb vehicle when there is a corner that is not attached to the rest of the truck.

I am sorry if this does sound a bit harsh, but this is very seroius.

Steve S.
To many to list.