Notices

KC Daylighters vs Hella 1000 Driving Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Meatco1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking KC Daylighters vs Hella 1000 Driving Lights

Well, I've settled on the Daylighters myself.

After mounting dual sets of Hella's, (2) 1000 driving lights, and (2) 1000 pencil beams, then mounting up dual sets of KC lights (same set up) I've decided to stay with the Daylighters. They provide better lighting, I can see farther, and at least to my eyes, they seem to be far brighter.

Of course, the Daylighter had 130 watt bulbs, vs the Hella 100 watt, but the cost and warranty far favor the KCs.

JMO, what's yours?

Richard

Old 05-12-2007, 10:22 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
I haven't tried any of those specific lights. I do prefer a driving beam over a pencil beam though. Pencil is definitely brighter where it lights up, I just prefer the pattern of a good driving light. It gets the sides of the road better a little closer up and blends into the high beam nicely.

The pencil beam can get the sides far away but there seems to be an area in between that beam and where my high beams are effective that isn't lit well...an important area.

The road is generally lit up well and far enough with the driving beams to safely brake for anything. It depends on your needs though, there are instances when a spot would be better. They are much better at lighting up road imperfections (among other things), I'm usually more concerned about a moving animal (or potentially moving) though.

No need to look half again as far down the road if I can come to a stop well before the point that they (driving lights) were lighting up when I began braking. Many times it would be counterproductive.

They tend to "reach" around slight bends in the road much better too (given that either choice is aimed appropriately).

Ideally I would have 5 or 6 setting of brightness and pattern available. I wouldn't mind one spot in between my driving lights for some circumstances.

Last edited by tdister; 05-12-2007 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:24 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I run a very expensive set of Xenon lights, and they are worth every penny off-road.
They also carry a very stiff price tag, but I have also found that most reflectors in resonably priced units are decent. Both PIAA, and HELLA make replacement H3 bulbs that are direct replacements for your KC, or KC style lights. For fractions of the price, you can have a great light. I am not saying that any of the lights are poor, but I have found that the PIAA # 15223 is a great replacement bulb for your daylighters. If you like the way they shine now, try it with a good bulb, holy cow! They are inexpensive when compared to the entire light. Now the housing of the more expensive light is much, much better, but, installing a great bulb in a decent housing is the next best thing.
I have a little truck for my daughter (its a samuri with 8" toyota axles, Detroits, 6:1 case, yada yada, on 33's, she is 8 yrs old) and I installed 8" Pro-comp pencil beam lights ( $52.00 ea.) and installed the PIAA bulbs, wow man the light is great, and the entire thing was less than $70.00 each light.
I am a fan of the KC light, but the light is in the bulb. Next time you have to replace a bulb, try one of the high end replacements, I think you might be as impressed.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Meatco1
Senior User
Actually, if you are driving down a dark lonely road, and it’s dark enough to use your brights, it’s dark enough to use both Driving Lights, and Pencil beams. One complements the other. You’ll find your vision will improve both long range, and along each side of the road.

No argument that the driving lights light up the sides of the road very well, but adding pencil beams will augment you long range vision. You might just see that Deer standing in the middle of the road well past the driving light range.

No matter the expense of the bulb, a 110 watt bulb is always going to be a 110 watt bulb, and no, it will not be brighter than the 130 watt bulb given that they are both of the same type (Halogen)

Try not to fall for the hype that all Mfg’s try to push!

Richard

Old 05-15-2007, 06:15 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
I actually find I need less light when it's really dark or on an unlit road. To a point, the more ambient light, the more light I need in front of me. Get on a country road and just driving lights do wonderfully. If anything, a little more width would be better, rarely do I wish for a longer pencil beam light. Sometime more light is just more light and not all that helpful.

We are only allowed 2 aux lights with high beams. I've gotten hassled about my perfectly legal driving lights before, I don't need to give them a legitimate excuse to pull me over.

My next lights will be some Eurobeam driving lights with higher watt bulbs. They run a bit wider so the wattage will help keep everything bright.

I think I'd have to regularly go over 80 at night for pencil beams to be needed. Even then, roads around here have so many curves and hills they'd be shining way off in the middle of nowhere most of the time (the back/country roads especially). I was thinking about this thread last night drivng from my Grandparents, I just can't imagine the addition be useful for much more than the "wow" factor.

I do agree on the bulb comment...

Old 05-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Meatco1
Senior User
Well Tdester, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on pencil beams. Not a problem. All we both want, is to be able to drive a country road in safety. I guess there's room for both ways of thinking.

Richard