Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

early 99 turbo

Old 05-12-2007, 04:13 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
ron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud of
early 99 turbo

it seems my turbo has alot of in and out play..is this bad for my truck to keep driving??? i called Ron's turbo but is out of stock till end of the week middle of next..beans dominator 66 is on back order and i cant really swing that right now any way's..any one know where i can find a stock one??? build date 3/98 thanks guy's...

Old 05-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.
If you have enuff in/out play in the shaft so that you can feel it it is very dangerous to drive the truck, if that compressor wheel nicks the housing it will come apart and be ingested by the engine. Other than Ron's I think powerstroke shop would be your best bet they run around 800
http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/p...99&catalogid=2

Old 05-12-2007, 06:10 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
ron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud of
thanks alan...i can feel quite a bit of play..when it rains it poors..

Old 05-12-2007, 06:16 PM
John311t
Postmaster
John311t has a good reputation on FTE.John311t has a good reputation on FTE.
Thats how mine went out. I suggest to start driving it only when needed since it will completly go and where do all those parts go? into the motor. You can only really wait for ron, dealership(expensive), wait for the d66 or switch over to the late 99+ turbo. BTW, on the stock early 99 intake plenums do not have a screen in them to prevent big stuff from getting stuck in them, the late 99 style does have it. I was kinda shocked that they put that in there.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:24 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
thanks john..its my only ride right now..i was going to buy a second rig but i got screwed on a $3300 trans i didnt ask for..(long story} was going to have a BTS trans by now..and could have got the d66 in the next couple weeks..now im short on time and cash..

Old 05-12-2007, 09:36 PM
dpwilson
Elder User
dpwilson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dpwilson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you are going stock you should try and milk it until Ron has one. By far the best deal. I know BDP has them listed on their website I believe for $750 ish for an early 99. Sure wish you could be one to be informing us early 99 guys on the Dominator 66, to bad on back order.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:03 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dpwilson
If you are going stock you should try and milk it until Ron has one. By far the best deal. I know BDP has them listed on their website I believe for $750 ish for an early 99. Sure wish you could be one to be informing us early 99 guys on the Dominator 66, to bad on back order.
i wish i could have got that as well.. I e-mailed him about the d66..sounds good..he said no surge at all and we should see 450 hp with split shots and jody's magic..

Old 05-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
FWIW I don't think any blade chips will make it past the intercooler. I would be worried if I had an OBS truck without the cooler.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:14 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
FWIW I don't think any blade chips will make it past the intercooler. I would be worried if I had an OBS truck without the cooler.
thanks kwikk...so if that was to happen it would go to the cooler first?? so i would have enouph time to shut it down be for some thing got that far? right now its just an every day driver..no towing..

Last edited by ron's power stoke; 05-13-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:37 AM
John311t
Postmaster
If you have in and out play this is what will happen if you keep driving on it..Link

Old 05-13-2007, 11:02 AM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
ernesteugene has a very good reputation on FTE.ernesteugene has a very good reputation on FTE.ernesteugene has a very good reputation on FTE.
What happened in my case is that the loose bearing caused the turbine blades to touch the case on the hot side and chip a few corners of the blades that made the turbo sound like a police siren at boost's above 10 psi. I think the metal on the compressor wheel isn't quite as brittle and prone to chipping off small pieces, but I'd be concerned about gouging out small pieces of the softer case and sending those through the IC.

I guess you're aware of this option...

Early 1999 Trucks: These trucks have two options. The Intake plenums on the stock Early '99 (Pre 12/98) are smaller in size than the 3" plenums used on the stock '99-03 trucks. You can either purchase an early '99 H2E kit that attaches the plumbing to the smaller intakes, or purchase the late 99 H2E kit and purchase the 3" OEM plenums to complete the package.
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=322

It's very $$$, and it's not clear if you use the original up-pipes and pedestal or have to change those to the 99.5 versions?

Old 05-13-2007, 12:37 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by John311t
If you have in and out play this is what will happen if you keep driving on it..Link
where did the shavings go??? did it hurt any thing else?

Old 05-13-2007, 12:42 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ernesteugene
What happened in my case is that the loose bearing caused the turbine blades to touch the case on the hot side and chip a few corners of the blades that made the turbo sound like a police siren at boost's above 10 psi. I think the metal on the compressor wheel isn't quite as brittle and prone to chipping off small pieces, but I'd be concerned about gouging out small pieces of the softer case and sending those through the IC.

I guess you're aware of this option...

Early 1999 Trucks: These trucks have two options. The Intake plenums on the stock Early '99 (Pre 12/98) are smaller in size than the 3" plenums used on the stock '99-03 trucks. You can either purchase an early '99 H2E kit that attaches the plumbing to the smaller intakes, or purchase the late 99 H2E kit and purchase the 3" OEM plenums to complete the package.
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=322

It's very $$$, and it's not clear if you use the original up-pipes and pedestal or have to change those to the 99.5 versions?

i been talking with beans about there dominstor 66 http://www.beansdieselperformance.com/99-03turbo.htm
there on back order right now and right now is a bad time with cash..they said no surge and i could get 450 hp with split shots and some tuning with it..

Old 05-13-2007, 01:22 PM
John311t
Postmaster
The shavings went into the motor and some probably got caught in the intercooler im sure, i havn't had a problem yet with my motor. the way my turbo went out was a hole in my intake that was allowing dirt in. Dont get me wrong, i heard in my exhaust a click click clickX25 when i shut the truck down. I got scared check the shaft felt the play, then I had to drive it to my buddies shop since he had the turbo and all the compentents to switch it over. I probably drove 200 miles with the turbo hitting the housing, because at first i just thought something was wrong but i couldnt pin-point it at all until one day i got out of the truck before the turbo stopped and i heard the clickin. Right after i changed out the turbo, i changed the oil.

BTW the h2e turbo kit is nice, but you will need injectors since that turbo on stock injectors(excepically the AB codes in the early 99), will be laggy. It come with new up-pipes since you uses a flange style(i belive L-10) instead of a marmon clamp. It also comes with intercooler pipes, pedestal mount, intake "Y" pipe, downpipe and intake pipe.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:53 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
hmmm a couple months ago i found my IC pipe on the driver side had a hole in it do to the power stearing pump...that must have caused this to happen to me...i think ill find me a cheap rig for now till ron gets a turbo for me..maybe ill get lucky and find some extra cash for the d66...glad your turned out ok..i hope mine does...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.