Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Informal GTG's

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Parrsboro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Informal GTG's

Okay im the new guy here, just a few minutes of browsing the forums thus far.

And i see you are getting together for a good time in june for a campout.

But did not see if you had a place or a time to gather around for an event that took a whole lot less time and effort to plan.

Like the last friday of the month meet at joe's for beer and pasta.

Ifin ya do let me know about it.
Ifin ya don't why not think about it.

I think maybe somewhere inbetween seattle and tacoma would be a nice spot like federal way (easy for me to say im in auburn) some pizza joints even have large side rooms. But locations and venues could also change.

Just some idle thoughts.

Dave

Old 05-29-2007, 08:53 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice thoughts for a local g2g with people living close by. I'm trapped on this island, anywhere here will work

Old 05-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Parrsboro
Senior User
Being on the island im sure has a couple of disadvantages

But they make those ferry's so easy to use, heh
just dont miss that last one going home.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:31 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
ha I should be up so late...Last week was driving thru Salem trying to make the last ferry that night at 1AM. But the front caliper froze up and had to get fixed. So we made the first Mukilteo ferry the next morning, yawn.

That's my one off-island trip for this year

Old 06-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Parrsboro
Senior User
you mean you only leave the island once a year?

That means we would have to do an island invasion heh

Old 06-02-2007, 09:07 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
Rgr 'dat, not if I can help it. And the Island Invasion is our Ford G2G starting June 22nd at South Whidbey State Park, woot!

Re the ferries, this boat driver didn't stop in time, ungh:
Originally Posted by WhidbeyNewsPress
Ferry crashes into Mukilteo dock, traffic nightmare

CLINTON, Washington -- Friday was a bad day for Whidbey Island ferry users as the MV/Cathlamet crashed into the Mukilteo ferry dock for reasons not immediately known.

Service on the busy Mukilteo/Clinton route was suspended temporarily after the 6 a.m. collision, stranding hundreds of Whidbey Island commuters making their morning run to their jobs on the mainland.

Shirley Wilson, owner of Shirley’s Kitchen, the trailer-based eatery on the Clinton ferry dock, was too busy to talk more than a few seconds just after noon on Friday. “I’m so busy I don’t know where to turn,” she said by telephone, noting that the ferry dock was full of cars and people waiting for the next boat.

It was a long wait, as a single boat, the MV/Kitsap, was carrying cars and passengers between Edmonds and Clinton. Edmonds substitutes for Mukilteo whenever that dock is out of commission. “It’s two hours between boats,” Wilson said. “I gotta go!”

Normally, it’s only half an hour between boats on the short Mukilteo-Clinton route.

Marta Cursey, Washington State Ferries communications director, said in a news release that the 130-car Cathlamet “landed hard and damaged a dolphin,” the large group of pilings that guides the ferry into the slip.

The impact caused the dolphin to collapse and block the boat. A tug was dispatched to clear the dolphin out of the way. State Ferries hoped to resume service between Mukilteo and Clinton by Friday afternoon, always a busy time as hundreds of weekenders head for the island.

Ferry officials were fully aware of an impending traffic nightmare on the route. “We understand this is a high traffic route and that a nice Friday afternoon will see many travelers headed to Whidbey Island and the Olympic Peninsula,” said Traci Brewer-Rogstad, director of marine operations, in a news release just before noon on Friday. “We’re working hard to have full two-boat service up and running again this afternoon.”

One of the two smaller ferries that serve the Keystone/Port Townsend run, the MV/Quinault, was dispatched to the Clinton route, meaning Whidbey Island’s second ferry route would also be overwhelmed by Friday traffic. Five scheduled Friday afternoon departures from Keystone were canceled as a result. The same thing happened on the Port Townsend side.

State Ferries described the cause of the accident as “unknown at this time,” and an investigation was under way in collaboration with the Coast Guard and State Patrol. No injuries were reported.

The Cathlamet is one of the Issaquah Class boats that had computer propulsion problems when they first entered service in the ‘80s. Several dock collisions occurred in both Mukilteo and Clinton, but this is the first such incident in years.