Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get rear axle to slide out Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 11:08 AM
philly5eagle
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't get rear axle to slide out Help!

Maybe I'm a dope, but I pulled the diff cover off, pulled bolt for shaft out. Then slide shaft out and tried to push axle in. It won't go in. Slides in about the same amount as if the shaft was in there??? I can see it move slightly in and out but that is it. What am I doing wrong?

Old 05-12-2007, 11:11 AM
96onefifty
Senior User
Did you remove the axle retainer clip? I've done it myself a time or two.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:14 AM
philly5eagle
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 96onefifty
Now I feel dumb. What is that and where is it?
Thanks for trying to help me. I'm sitting here trying to get this done quick and beat the rain.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:16 AM
philly5eagle
Freshman User
If you mean the c clip, I can't get to it. There is some sort of metal in the middle of everything that looks like a Z and seems to hold all of the gears in place. The axle won't move in far enough to get to the c clip

Old 05-12-2007, 11:28 AM
96onefifty
Senior User
Thats the spring for your limited slip clutch pack. Well first off if you got the center pin out which i beleive you said you did. go ahead and pull the z shaped spring out. they are a pain to get back in unless you have the right tool. but after you pull it out slide the axle back in and the c clip should come right off. To get it back in I kinda Wegde one side of mine in and use a screwdriver to pry the other side in not the best but it worked let me know how you make out.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:32 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by philly5eagle
If you mean the c clip, I can't get to it. There is some sort of metal in the middle of everything that looks like a Z and seems to hold all of the gears in place. The axle won't move in far enough to get to the c clip
You have a LS rear end.
If the spring is in right you should still be able to push the axle in and get them off.
I put the spring (Z) in on the bench before I put the carrier in and I can still it the "C" ("U") in and out.

You may have to pull the spring part way out to get them off but if you pull the spring all the way out it is hard to get it back in.

Last edited by subford; 05-12-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:40 AM
philly5eagle
Freshman User
Ok, now I knew I would run into trouble. Always do. Is that spring thing one piece? If I pull it out, will the other gears fall out of position too? I just don't want to screw anything up and then I have a truck on stands that I can't fix.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:50 AM
96onefifty
Senior User
the spider gears should stay in place. just dont spin the carrier without the pin in the center or the gears will fall out and while they arent hard to put in its a pain getting them lined up. but i would try to get the c clip out first without taking it out like subford said i just assumed you tried and couldnt is y i said to pull it out.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:29 PM
philly5eagle
Freshman User
the spider gears should stay in place. just dont spin the carrier without the pin in the center or the gears will fall out and while they arent hard to put in its a pain getting them lined up. but i would try to get the c clip out first without taking it out like subford said i just assumed you tried and couldnt is y i said to pull it out.
I cked the other axle and it slide in just fine. I could see the clip on that one easy.(of course) I tried moving the sping around while someone else is pushing and pulling on the axle and still nothing. Won't come in any further. I'm wondering if the bearing was so screwed up that is has caused a problem in pushing the axle in.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:02 PM
philly5eagle
Freshman User
I have moved the z thing arond and it doesnt seem to be the problem.. i have tried tapping on the end of the shaft and it still wont move in. what the heck is the prob?

Old 05-12-2007, 03:01 PM
philly5eagle
Freshman User
I had someone push on the axle and I was still able to move the c clip around without any resistance so I don't think that is getting stuck by the z spring thing. I even tried to smack it with a hammer and it only seemed to come in a fraction farther. It's as if the pin was still in there(it's not!) I even was able to push the other side in and get to that c clip easy. What could be stopping it??? Should I just keep smacking it with a hammer? I should have been done with this by now and I can't get the axle out.. l hope someone can help.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:49 PM
F150xlt
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
First remove the S spring which will give you a full view of what's going on.

Knock the S spring about half way out towards the front of the case.

Then rotate the carrier so the S spring can be grabbed with pliers and pulled out. The first photo in box #1 describes the procedure.

The second photo shows the parts inside the diff.

When you're ready to install the S spring, find a thin piece of sheet metal.

I used a piece of roof flashing. Place it against the ring gear so that when you tap the S spring back into position, it will slide down against the sheet metal. Then pull the sheet metal out.

Go Ravens

Old 05-12-2007, 03:59 PM
philly5eagle
Freshman User
I'll have a heck of a time trying to get the s spring out b/c currently it goes up over the end of the axle b/c I can't get it out. I tried banging on the end of the axle trying to push it in and it seems to move a "fraction" in. I don't know if I will be able to get the spring out b/c I tried to pry it out and no luck so far.It's hung up on the end of the axle.

It just doesn't see to be blocking anything. I have moved it side to side and up and down and no change. the odd thing is the other side slides like it should. I'm about to tow this thing away.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:17 PM
F150xlt
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The only thing I remember is the S spring can only be pounded in a certain direction
to take it out. If you pound in the wrong direction, the S spring will just hit the axle shaft.

Take a good look at photo 1 for the S spring orientation for removal.

Last edited by F150xlt; 05-12-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:37 PM
giuntoc
Junior User
I got my axles out without taking the spring out. I just turned the tire while the axle was pushed invand the c clip should fall off. I may have used a screwdriver to push it off I don't remember. Pay attention though because the top and bottom gears will probably fall out and you will need to know how to put them back in.

Last edited by giuntoc; 05-12-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Can't get rear axle to slide out Help!