How do I title a 2 to 4wd conversion as a 4wd? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Kentucky Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: SideWinder4.9l

How do I title a 2 to 4wd conversion as a 4wd?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2007, 05:00 PM
mando jake's Avatar
mando jake mando jake is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Leitchfield, ky
Posts: 484
mando jake is starting off with a positive reputation.
How do I title a 2 to 4wd conversion as a 4wd?

I have a 79 f250 4x4 reg cab long bed, and a 79 f250 2wd crew cab short bed. I am putting the crew cab on the reg cab frame and cutting down the bed. I have good clear titles for both trucks. The crew's title has only 25,000 miles on it, I have a cluster that says 33,000. I wont be selling this truck when its done, so I would love to have a title for it with low, low miles. The licencing office says that the title has to stay with its frame not the cab, and that I would have to junk the title of the crew. That SUCKS!!
I want to make it look like I converted the 2wd to 4wd so that I can use my good crew title, but I don't want to risk losing my title in the future. If I have to I will keep the crew title as 2wd. Anyone ever do a conversion and then get a 4wd title? Tell me how please. Thanks.

Of course, this is all in the event that I dont sell my crew before I scrap the frame this weekend.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:29 PM
crazedfox's Avatar
crazedfox crazedfox is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: LaGrange
Posts: 509
crazedfox is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
__I don't know what has transfered sence you opened this thread,
but here's my answer anyway.

You see the trucks of these yrs have vin's on the chassie's & the body's where vin-matched. This way ford is able to sell just a working chassie to places & businesses that only needed the working chassie's.

This practice of selling working chassie's is still in use today.
In short you can go out & order a running chassie & put: say an old 79 250 on it. They don't care, because the vin is sold with the chassie. Just remember you have to have a licensed shop to do this.

But don't get discouraged, most state's don't bother if you put a 4x4 chassie under your cab. The title was good before It should be just as good after the convertion. As long you can stand your title saying it's a 2wd you will be Ok. You should be happy to have 2 good titles. You can use the other to use on a truck without one, just make sure you use the chassie with the title.
Reply With Quote

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 PM.

  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: