Sponsored by:

converting 3 screw auto hub to 5 screw

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2001, 07:58 PM
bronco99
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-Feb-01 AT 09:08 PM (EST)[/font][p]Ok, I know you all probably want to tell me to go with manual hubs BUT......my 95 bronco autohubs with the three torx screws are bad and I picked up on a whim a set of auto hubs but with the 5 screw caps. hey it was cheap and worth the risk I felt. The internal meshing of autohub to axle is different from my OEM 3 screw hubs. I went to Ford parts - they had no clue what of what I wanted, that is to (hopefuly) convert the axle side so that it'll accept the 5 screw autohubs. My rationale is that if I go manual, I have to get a conversion kit anyway so maybe this conversion would allow acceptance of the 5 screw auto hubs, (or will the conversion only allow me the 5 screw MANUAL hubs)? I can't imagine that I shouldn't be able to convert it, somehow. If wrong, I wasted $55 and will go manual but I wanted to try. Thanks all.

Summary, in case I'm sounding confusing: I don't want to convert auto to manual. I want to convert auto to auto; 3screw to 5 screw type hub. Thanks again.

Old 02-10-2001, 05:30 PM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas

No Offense... but once your AUTO hubs go... Just junk them... because that is what auto hubs are Junk... Spend the $50 then $20 for the kit and put the manual hubs in...

Trust me you will enjoy the fact you will now know that your hubs are TRULY LOCKED!!!

My $0.02

Uzi... Yamaha Sleds, Honda Bikes, and Ford Trucks....

Old 02-13-2001, 05:37 PM
bronco99
New User

Thanks, I appreciate the response and your advice but I already have the auto 5 screw replacements and I'm on a mission to get an answer. I've decided to purchase the conversion kit. If it doesn't allow me to place the 5 screw hubs on, then I really will not have lost anything...I'll just have to then order the manual hubs. I still feel that since I don't off-road, don't plow snow that I can do fine with auto hubs. Of course I realize that lots of folk will disagree with me.

Old 02-13-2001, 05:51 PM
AlM
Posting Guru

Asked a pal mechanic at the ford dealer..her doesn't even know if they'll work...sorry dude.
and i agree, if you don't off road or beach drive, then the auto's will be ok for you...when they do go, you can decide on the manuals do to cost considerations.

Old 03-02-2001, 01:51 PM
bronco99
New User

Oh Well, yeah I called a different Ford Parts and they said that it'd work cause the've done it before. But I got the conversion kit from carparts and I can see just looking at it that it probably won't work. It's just a physically different fit. According to the diagrams included with the conversion washers, the part that the hub fits into is the CAM. Now that seems to be the part I need to fit the 5 screw hubs. Anyway, I just about give up. Go manual and sell these hubs. Now I've got a Noreaster brewing early next work week. Oh man...............

Thanks for all your input.

I know this isn't a classified section but if anyone would like to buy these 5 screw autohubs off me...I think I paid $55 and change. Sorry ahead of time if this isn't allowed.

Old 03-04-2001, 05:40 PM
stergil
New User

HI :

I'm having hell getting my 5 screw auto locking hubs off my 94 f150. I am interested in your hubs. However I need to get my old ones off. Where are you located.

Thanks,

Stergil

Old 03-04-2001, 10:18 PM
slowtarget
Freshman User

Old 03-06-2001, 09:51 AM
bronco99
New User

See my e-mail.

Anyway I tried to install the 5 screw hubs after the conversion kit but they didn't fit solidly enuff. To get them off, all I had to do was use a needle nose pliers to gently lift off the retainer that holds the locking ring. USe the needle nose to squeeze the two arms of the locking ring and pull forward to dislodge it. Maybe grab it with a flat head screwdriver. The hub was a tight press fit in but with constant pulling it came out. If I recall, that was it. The inards after that are washers and spacers that basically lock down the wheel bearing adjustment nut. They can stay in place if a new hub is to be installed.
So now I have manuals. And i have a question. Warn Premiums - they don't snap into lock position until I drive a bit and have to get out of truck a second time-then they'll snap into place. What gives....that's annoying. Also, how fast can I drive in the locked position without transfer case engaged? Thanks all.