6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Hot Shot's Secret - Oil Additive

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:13 AM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have purchased the 'Secrete" for my seldom used 04 with 26K miles. I talked with Chris prior to using it. I didn't believe I had an injector problem at least one I could put my brain on. I put in 1 qt. I've put 200 mile on the truck since the additive went in. The truck had just recieved it's OC change at the dealership and is now out of the 3 year warrentee.

After the 200 miles I can say 2 things about the truck that is different. It doesn't smell as bad at first idle and when I get on it it doesn't smoke. I check for smoke each time I get on it harder than usual.

I may go to a synthetic oil on my next change which I will now start doing myself I'm not sure. I treat this product that same as putting on a coolant filter. If it will extend the usefulness of my truck I will use it. Good Luck.............

Old 05-30-2007, 08:49 AM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just started my truck after sitting over the night, 35 degrees out. I have a keyless start so I started it standing behind the truck, Didnt get the usuall romp on start up or much white smoke. I didnt think this stuff would start working so soon, but it seems to be. And off to work I go...

Old 05-30-2007, 08:59 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmy-six
After the 200 miles I can say 2 things about the truck that is different. It doesn't smell as bad at first idle and when I get on it it doesn't smoke. I check for smoke each time I get on it harder than usual.
With ULSD fuel now everywhere, less smoke is the norm. The days of laying a "smoke screen" are over when at wide open throttle.

An oil additive will not reduce smoke but a fuel additive will. As far as "white smoke" a puff at start-up is normal, but is more noticable when cold.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:06 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
under fueling due to injector problems will definately cause a smoke problem (unless someone changed physics while I slept last night, I have seen some of those black heliocopters 'round latley could be the Illumanati again!) but not a heavy black smoke usualy a greyish white.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Chris Gabe
Former Vendor
It is great to see people reporting in. There was an increase in the start up time with HSS in all the test. I believe it was 22 seconds to 17 seconds. Also the amount of fuel going into the cylinders was brought back to factory spec in the test. Also an 11% increase on initial acceleration...0-35 MPH, 9-43 Degrees F.

I would put a few words in here about synthetics. I believe in synthetics but all synthetics are not the same. 10 years ago a blender would buy Group 1,2,3,4 or 5 to blend. Now you can buy 20 versions of each of those. Not to mention Group 2+. I know that a lot of you guys know the story but I put some of the plugs in here for the people that don't. Castrol started using Group2+ for synthetic and nobody but the oil companies complained. It turns out that nobody really cares what you call synthetic. Mobil 1 says it has 3 different types of synthetic. Group 2+ Group 3 PAO and probably a little Di-ester. Even among the PAO synthetics you can buy an 8,10,12 or 14 carbon chain PAO. My point isn't to trash anyone’s oil or to say ours is the best. I am simply saying the word "synthetic oil" means nothing anymore. I have tested severely hydro cracked dino oils that have out performed synthetics. I don't remember whose brand it was but I remember the test. I would look at the TBN, sustained TBN after testing and the Viscosity Index of the oil. Anyway this should give some fodder for the mill.
Chris

Last edited by IB Tim; 06-01-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:57 PM
66f25red
Senior User
Chris, good stuff you have to say.

Years ago while in School at San Jose State; I ran a series of bearing failure tests to learn the film strength properties of various oils. The reclaimed oil lasted longer on the test than all of the new oils from several vendors. Doesn't mean much but it was interesting.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:22 AM
Reidicus
Senior User
thought Id update seeing that I have more good news to report. Been running the HSS for over 3000k and I have noticed better shifting. More smoother and less jerky than usual. Fuel mileage has gone up and acceleration is much more noticeable. Less turbo lag when taking off from a stop. All around I recommend this for trucks with stiction issues. Love it. I am going to do a blackstone report of the oil before, during, and after the use of the product. So give me some time to test it out and I'll post the results when the time comes.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:48 AM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Good to hear Reidicus, 1,000 miles on mine so far, colds starts are smoother, and overall seems to be running a little smoother. As for MPG, its definalty alot better right now, but I dont know if its summer fuel, my afe air filter I just installed or the HSS. Probly a little bit of each since Im doing about 2mpg better right now than my usuall.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Superdudey
Senior User
I ordered a bottle to run through on my next oil change, truck has 58k on it now and it wouldnt hurt to clean them up

Old 06-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
OK... I may bite on this????

My overall mpg has dropped slightly from a combined city & highway to 16mpg to 15mpg.

1) I am running 100% ULSD (15ppm) fuel as this is all that is available.

2) I run PowerService in the grey bottle 100% of the time.

3) I change fuel and oil filters on or before the recommended service interval.

4) I use Rotella-Syn 5W-40 year-round (change every 5,000 miles)

5) I did get the inductive injector flash in the Spring and all is well.

I am shocked that we are out of "winter fuel" that my mileage is 15mpg - 16mpg overall and when on the highway and driving 70 - 73mph, the best I get is 17 - 18mpg (if I am lucky)????

Are you guys telling me that this "hotshot" additive is cleaning out the injectors and increasing your mileage?????

Thanks,

Old 06-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Superdudey
Senior User
I think they have said that a few times, and i think that is the intended result as per the website and the guy posting here.

If your injectors are dirty and not functioning right, and you use said product and it cleans the injecters....one would assume a better functioning injector would provide more milage, and a better running truck.

disregard my typos, i just dont care enough to edit them today.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:40 AM
glm racers
Senior User
Originally Posted by tj.brewster
I just did an oil change last weekend and added the HHS. I drive this truck every day to work and back 100mi round trip 5-6 days a week. Unfortunately I won't know if my cold start issues have been fixed or not because the temps here wil be between 70-110 til September.

However the truck does start better and runs better. I usually had to let it warm up for a few minutes for it to run right, now it runs great from the start.

The bad I changed my oil went into the house to wash up, came outside and my right front tire was flat..............Chris you got some splainin to do :=)

Thus far I think it was a good choice. I run B100 90% of the time and my truck has over 2ook on the clock so if this buys me some time I say great and give it a try.

TJ
TJ,
I know from your other post that your having problems with you six-oh and that Bowtiehatr thinks it electrical, but could your problem be related to this oil additive?

Old 06-08-2007, 12:07 PM
captaincook
Junior User
Just got my HSS yesterday and changed my oil and filter. I will report back on the difference if any. Although my oil was REALLY black and smelled like diesel. Is this normal? Right after the oil change it ran great. Could it have just been the oil was way to dirty?

Old 06-08-2007, 12:18 PM
66f25red
Senior User
Smile oil dirty

Originally Posted by captaincook
Just got my HSS yesterday and changed my oil and filter. I will report back on the difference if any. Although my oil was REALLY black and smelled like diesel. Is this normal? Right after the oil change it ran great. Could it have just been the oil was way to dirty?
Diesel lubrication oil is black faster than a New York Minute; smelling like diesel, can be caused by long periods of engine idling, or when the engine is over fueled to blow great clouds of black smoke.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:51 PM
BmanRRT
Junior User
where do you get this stuff? any auto parts store, I read discussion about ordering it. Thanks, I'm one of those desperate individuals...lol

Quick Reply: Hot Shot's Secret - Oil Additive