Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

***FREE FREE FREE truck stuffs, come and git' it!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the video was sweet. . .even though you say you did bad

I concur with BB. 4HI + 2nd or 3rd gear. . .or larger tires. . .have you asked in the 4x4 forum? Lotsa people who race there, they can set you straight

Or more HorsePower to spin them faster

Old 06-24-2007, 09:25 PM
BigBlue88
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Naw, you were racing that motor already. Didn't seem to have a problem backing off and revving back up. No power issues. :-)

Can you start in 2nd and 4-LO? (I start my rental cars in 2nd gear if I can and punch it; avoid that 1-2 flat-on-the-face shift) Four speed x 2 speed = 8 gear ratios. You just can't shift your 2-speed t-case on the fly, I don't think. But what do I know; I've never mudded. :-)

Old 06-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Yeah, no shifting the Tcase while in motion. Even if you could, it goes from something like 2.7:1 to 1:1. . .thats a mighty big shift

Old 06-24-2007, 09:42 PM
BigBlue88
Elder User
Steve- Just imagine going from 1st to 3rd on your old C6 87...that's exactly what that is. :-) (well, 2.46:1 to 1:1, IIRC). AOD, probably even E4OD is still 2.46:1 to 1.46:1, I think. Those old "three forward gears" including all the old granny-low and 3 speed manuals had really wide gear spacing, and if not, really steep low gears (taking off with a 2.46 1st gear and highway rears....)

Karl- you got the HP, though, and a mild stall converter will give you the slip to stay in your power band (not to mention "torque multiplication" from the 'verter).

Old 06-24-2007, 10:49 PM
kjett
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started in lo 1st to get it moving. The last time I started in 2nd gear, I ripped the knuckle clean off the drivers side! In the 35 and larger classes, it runs ok, I am just too low for 33's. If it was a diggin hole, it would have done better, but as you saw by that big wave in front of the truck, it was deffinately a slop hole which mean I needed wheel speed to plane the truck out on top like a boat. I have a set of 3.73's I am going to swap back into it to see it it helps any. Nick's bronco is basically the same setup as mine, except he has the 3.73 and I have a little more into the motor. He did really well and I drove hit truck with the 38's through the d class (44's) and did a full pull in around 17 seconds, so that got me thinking about going back to them with my setup, for now at least....

I do have a manual valve body in the e4od, and want to put a decent stall converter into it, problem is $$. Those things are extremely pricey for the e4od tranny for some reason. I'm looking at going a total different route and build a truck for next season. Here's a preview of things to come: I found a 1968 Ranchero with a 428 CJ motor, auto tranny, and 9" rear.......

I'll keep you posted as to what it changes into...

BB: Finally got the PSD back last Wednesday. Seems to rune fine now. I am scared of it and have been debating on trading it back in, but for the money I paid for it, I have all the problems documented, and I still have 25K left on the powertrain warranty, I am thinking of keeping it at least for another year until the warranty runs out, then trading it in. I don't know yet....

Old 06-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Them diesels can be $$$$$ to fix when they break. . .might want to look at an extended warranty if you hold onto it.

BTW, I have a 351w c6 sitting in my garage. . .4x4, with converter if your interested Or if you need the parts to converte that ranchero c6 to 4x4

Old 06-26-2007, 04:18 PM
kjett
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Franken-Truck
Them diesels can be $$$$$ to fix when they break. . .might want to look at an extended warranty if you hold onto it.

BTW, I have a 351w c6 sitting in my garage. . .4x4, with converter if your interested Or if you need the parts to converte that ranchero c6 to 4x4
Thats why I'm glad it was all covered under the 100k powertrain warranty. When it's done, the truck will probably be gone, unless it behaves and works like it is supposed to!!

351w, huh, I'll ask Nick as I know he is looking to get another block to build and then swap his out. How much you want for all of it? As for the Ranchero, I plan on running a chain drive and save the weight of a transfer case. The guy that had it broke something in the rear on the drag strip. The soap numbers on the windshield still say 13.61 and the strip he was running is 1/4 mile. Not bad for an old, heavy machine like that with full exhaust, interior, and all the rest of the factory stuff! Motor and trans work great, I just need to rebuild the rear, gut the whole thing out (plan is to cut entire inside of bed out and replace with some really thin 4'x8' sheet aluminum that I have left over from skinning out my hunting dog box. Needless to say, nothing will be able to sit in that bed without putting a dent into it!), then put a front axle and suspension from a late 70's F-150/Bronco into it, a set of race buckets/harnesses and guages in the interior and let it run!

Like I said before, it's a 68, so a tad smaller than the 70's Rancheros and it will definately be different. I just hope it isn't all eaten up with rust after I get under and into it.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Lucky on the 100k warranty! Is that extra, or standard with diesels?

As for the 351w c6. . .I dunno. . .$30? I bought it awhile ago lol, to finish up the 4x4 conversion of my old 87 F150. Still full of fluid, just plugged and sitting. I turn it over by hand once in a while. Honestly, I was ready toss it I paid $50 for it and it was working. Never got around to the swap and sold the truck so. . .I was going to let my little brother have fun taking it apart and then selling the output shaft and adapter. They seem to fetch about $15 bucks a piece when I've sold them before. . .this way it saves the mess and Ebay time

Wait a minute, your going to 4x4 the Ranchero? Bleepin' Sweet-A! Watcha gonna do with your other truck?

Old 06-27-2007, 08:34 PM
kjett
Post Fiend
100k warranty is standard on 6.0 and 6.4 powerstrokes, but it covers the "powertrain" only which is basically everything from the injectors to the oil pan, not the ecm or the turbo, go figure. The rest of the truck gets covered under the normal 3/36k warranty. It is nice that the motor gets the extra coverages especially with all the problems. I know it has saved me THOUSANDS of $$'s!!

$30 for the 351w c6 combo??? SOLD!!! We'll be down to pick it up as soon as our schedule allows (probably in the next 2 weeks, unless we can talk you into making the trip up to another mud bog.......).

Originally Posted by Franken-Truck
Wait a minute, your going to 4x4 the Ranchero? Bleepin' Sweet-A! Watcha gonna do with your other truck?
Yep, gonna butcher a nice classic, running old school muscle car and put a front axle under it! If we pull the inner fenders and strip out the entire inside bed skin and replace it all with really thin sheet aluminum and rubber (for the inner fenders), gut the entire interior (to include all of the glass) and original fuel tank, it should drop lots of weight. The 428CJ motor is the best part of the deal! WHen the time comes I may need some help in locating the new front axle, and depending on how bad that 9" was beaten up, I may be looking for a new used one of those as well.

This will be my project truck. Nick was recently given an 85 Bronco II that he wants the motor/trans for and will build his racer out of that (he's also looking for a set of axles for that too (full size d44 and 9" combo). I'm keeping the F-150 like it is for now and will probably put tags back on it for the winter to hunt in as the diesel is too loud and way too big to be taking off road to hunt with.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kjett
$30 for the 351w c6 combo???

Wait, what? I didn't imply it was an engine too, did I? 351w C6 means it came from behind a 351w with the 351 torque converter 351w/c6 meant combo. . .unless thats just something I made up

Unless you confused me or I'm confusing myself?

The frankensteined Ranchero sounds beast!! Man it's late, I will have too pick up my responce tomorrow

Old 06-28-2007, 08:08 AM
kjett
Post Fiend
Oh, my bad, must have read it wrong. Well, he will still need the tranny for his small block build, so that will still work. I think I was confused....lol

Old 06-28-2007, 11:22 AM
BigBlue88
Elder User
Karl- where do you go hunting? I've gone down to Caroline County a few times.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kjett
Oh, my bad, must have read it wrong. Well, he will still need the tranny for his small block build, so that will still work. I think I was confused....lol

Cool beans, keep me in the loop

Old 07-03-2007, 05:52 AM
kjett
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BigBlue88
Karl- where do you go hunting? I've gone down to Caroline County a few times.
I go down to Richmond County near the towns of Warsaw and Montross. It's about a 2 hour drive from Springfield just to get there and I am usually there every weekend from Thanksgiving to the end of deer season. I'm a member of a club down there. If ya want to ride down this winter, let me know!!

Old 07-04-2007, 10:09 AM
vaman4215
Junior User
Hmmm, a C6 tranny???? Will that tranny also fit the 7.3L diesel???? If so, I might be interested in having a spare tranny for my 88 F250...Not sure how good the po took care of the tranny or the engine fo rthat matter...I'm over in Portsmouth, last time I was at pick n pull most of the Fords there had about been stripped, but that was about 3 weeks ago, so hopefully they got some fresh trucks in now....