New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

Bob Snodgrass passes away

Old 04-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob Snodgrass passes away

Those of you who know me know that I use to be involved with sports car racing and spent a lot of time at Watkins Glen. When I use to work the Historic or sports car events I would always make it a point to stop at the Brumos Racing pit as Bob was always so gracious and willing to talk to everyone. It was with great sadness when I heard this news. The following was the notice posted on the American Le Mans Series website on 4/26/2007:

FORMER IMSA SUPERCAR CHAMPION PASSES AWAY AT 64

Last evening, Robert Snodgrass, a veteran of motorsports, passed away at his home in Jacksonville, FL. Snodgrass was the President and CEO of Brumos Porsche, Brumos Motorcars and Lexus of Jacksonville and owner of Brumos Racing.

Snodgrass was an icon of sports car racing in the United States and Europe. Bob's racing career started in 1948 at his first race at Watkins Glen, New York as a spectator. His career and contributions are both impressive and noteworthy.

Snodgrass took ownership of the Brumos Racing team in 1990 and served as team manager beginning in 1991. Brumos entered a two-car Porsche team in the newly created IMSA SuperCar series from 1991-1994, winning three straight manufacturers championships for Porsche with a pair of traditional white, red, and blue 911 Turbos.

"Bob was a fierce competitor and great contributor to the history of IMSA," said Tim Mayer, Chief Operating Officer of IMSA and the American Le Mans Series. "He was a friend to all forms of sports car racing. Both the man and his accomplishments will be missed."

"Bob Snodgrass has always been a true gentlemen to me," said Dick Martin, Chief of Pits for IMSA. "He went out of his way to assist his fellow competitors in any way he could. Racing has lost a great person."

Snodgrass served as Vice-Chairman for the Grand-Am Series and was instrumental in the development and implementation of the Daytona Prototype category. Brumos Racing currently fields a pair of Daytona Prototypes in the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series – the famous No. 59 Brumos Porsche/Kendall Porsche Riley for co-drivers JC France and road racing legend Hurley Haywood, and the No. 58 Red Bull/Brumos Racing Porsche Riley for Darren Law and David Donohue.

Snodgrass is survived by his wife Susan and sons Harris M. Snodgrass and Robert F. Snodgrass, III. Bob Snodgrass called Jacksonville, Florida his home for the past 35 years. He was an integral part of Jacksonville's businesses and philanthropic community as well as a legend in sports car racing in America and around the world.