Magnesol & Filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnesol & Filters

Fabman,
I finally got my partner convinced on using magnesol instead of water but I have a few questions before I dive in.
If I understand this process right- you settle for 12 hours to remove the glycerol, then you use vacuum to remove the remaining methanol, then you use a 5 micron filter to remove the soap, then add the magnesol.
My question's are:
What is the magnesol actually doing/removing to/from the Bio.
Secondly I read the thread where you get your filters, exactly which material are the ones you buy.
Third, how much magnesol do you use per 40 gal batch and is it always the same amount.
Thanks,
gundriver

Old 03-03-2007, 09:56 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Gun-Driver
Fabman,
I finally got my partner convinced on using magnesol instead of water but I have a few questions before I dive in.
If I understand this process right- you settle for 12 hours to remove the glycerol, then you use vacuum to remove the remaining methanol, then you use a 5 micron filter to remove the soap, then add the magnesol.
My question's are:
What is the magnesol actually doing/removing to/from the Bio.
Secondly I read the thread where you get your filters, exactly which material are the ones you buy.
Third, how much magnesol do you use per 40 gal batch and is it always the same amount.
Thanks,
gundriver
The Magnesol will remove water, Lye, Free fatty acids, any leftover methanol, soap and a lot of the darker coloring. My bio comes out almost clear.

I use the polyester Bag filters from McMaster-Carr. # 5162K12, 5 micron. and #5162K71, 1 micron.

IF you remove the methanol, filter out the soap, you can use 1% Magnesol by weight. I do mine in 50 gallon batches and use 7.2 lbs/gal as the weight of the oil. 50 gallons weighs 360 pounds, so I use 3.6 pounds of magnesol per batch. You DO NOT want to use pump mixing with Magnesol. The "sheer" effect of a pump will "grind" the Magnesol so fine it is difficult to filter out. I use the same mechanical mix tank that I use for making the bio in the first place, I use an auto-transformer to slow down the mixer speed to GENTLY mix in the Magnesol.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
So if we don't use a vacuum to remove the residual methanol will the magnesol still be effective? I don't have a vacuum tank and pump available at this time, but we would like to start with the water free set up as soon as possible. Will the inability to vacuum the methanol out reduce the effectiveness of the magnesol, if so by what degree?

Old 03-04-2007, 09:01 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
So if we don't use a vacuum to remove the residual methanol will the magnesol still be effective? I don't have a vacuum tank and pump available at this time, but we would like to start with the water free set up as soon as possible. Will the inability to vacuum the methanol out reduce the effectiveness of the magnesol, if so by what degree?
If your not able to remove the Methanol and soap first, you'll have to use twice the amount of Magnesol [from 1% to 2%]. It works just as well, you just have to use more.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:44 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A vacuum pump from an old fridge, freezer or possible a shop vac might pull enouph vacuum.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:25 PM
jimlj
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think a shop vac would be a very good idea with mehtanol fumes. Looks like there would be a good chance of a fire or boom as the fumes went by the sparking brushes on the motor.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
[QUOTE= You DO NOT want to use pump mixing with Magnesol. The "sheer" effect of a pump will "grind" the Magnesol so fine it is difficult to filter out. QUOTE]

Fabman,
Is it ok to pump it after the mixing is complete. I was planning on pumping it from the mixing tank thru the 5 micron filter into another holding tank, than pump thru a 1 micron into the final storage tank. But if it will shear down to a size that may not filter out how else can I transfer it through the filters.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:25 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
[QUOTE=Gun-Driver]
Originally Posted by You DO NOT want to use pump mixing with Magnesol. The "sheer" effect of a pump will "grind" the Magnesol so fine it is difficult to filter out. QUOTE

Fabman,
Is it ok to pump it after the mixing is complete. I was planning on pumping it from the mixing tank thru the 5 micron filter into another holding tank, than pump thru a 1 micron into the final storage tank. But if it will shear down to a size that may not filter out how else can I transfer it through the filters.
I use a small pump to move it through the filters, no problems yet. My new processor will use gravity to move it through the filters. I'm trying to use as much "free' gravity as possible

Old 04-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
So would one of those cheap clear water pumps be ok to transfer with.
Also is your Gast pump oil less. I've been searching on e-bay and other places,I found a nice Gast pump at an industrial surplus warehouse for $99.00.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:59 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
So would one of those cheap clear water pumps be ok to transfer with.
Also is your Gast pump oil less. I've been searching on e-bay and other places,I found a nice Gast pump at an industrial surplus warehouse for $99.00.
Yes to both

Old 04-16-2007, 11:10 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
fab I have a question, did a search and didn't come up with it so if you did post it sorry. What are you using for the final filter before putting into the storage or fuel tank?
Also do you find that the bags you listed above hold all the magnasol without any problem (I don't have an idea of what the volume ends up when you go to filter it back up, don't want to have to change bags int eh middle of the operation so want one big enough to just turn it on and not worry about overfilling the filter bag on the initial filtering)

Old 04-16-2007, 11:37 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
fab I have a question, did a search and didn't come up with it so if you did post it sorry. What are you using for the final filter before putting into the storage or fuel tank?
Also do you find that the bags you listed above hold all the magnasol without any problem (I don't have an idea of what the volume ends up when you go to filter it back up, don't want to have to change bags int eh middle of the operation so want one big enough to just turn it on and not worry about overfilling the filter bag on the initial filtering)
Mornin Rob, I use a 1 micron absolute bag filter from McMaster-Carr for my final filter, and I've never seen much "crud" in it.

I do mine in fairly large batches, so I use 2 filters, side by side. When the first one looks like it is getting full, I slide the second one under. The new plant I'm building for the ranch will use canisters to hold the filters, and will sense when the back-pressure reaches a preset level and switch to a secondary filter.

I haven't used the canisters before because there not cheap. I picked up 40 1" explosion proof electric valves for $1 each so the new plant will be automated to run off of a pc, no more switching hoses and piping!

Old 04-16-2007, 11:59 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Ok thanks, you just gave me an idea for my final, use the absolute bag type like you said and build a pvc canister that I can screw into my holding barrel with the hose coming off my pump from the wash barrel straight into it. Do you think that would work out, or is that what your doing too. I figure it would be easy enough to put a preasure gauge in the top to see when it was starting to get plugged.

and for the bags what about stepping up one size to the 14" long ones would that hold everything from a 35 gallon batch? ( the 5 micron first filter is the one I am worried about)

Thanks again.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:12 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
You got it Rob, the 14" filters should hold everything from a 35 gallon batch. I was going to make a PVC holder like you described, but my new plant won't have any plastic in it, all steel pipe & tanks, no PVC piping, or vinyl hoses. All tanks and piping will be Nitrogen purged.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:15 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

is the no plastic just because of the nitrogen purge or is there some reason I shouldn't use it for that?

Quick Reply: Magnesol & Filters