1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

changing the frame on my 54

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:49 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm going to run the return line into the filler tube. Easier to modify that instead of the tank. I'm going to run an external high pressure fuel pump. Since the 48-52 tank drains directly out the bottom of the gas tank, I shouldn't need a low pressure pump to feed the high pressure pump. I have a stock Ford inertia switch and I think it's a mandatory item. It is also very nice for diagnosing engine problems. Just hit it with your hand to disable fuel and just push the button to reset it.

Thanks for the compliment Ax and it means more coming from knowledgeable and experienced fellow like yourself.

The Ranger was just a trim package from 65-82 till it was made into 1/4 pickup in '83. I agree that most problems occur because people choose a non-compatible frame design. That's one of the reasons why I shortened a long wheelbase chassis. It allowed me to keep the same profile as the stock chassis.

The last thing I want is to have someone's project stall halfway through. Hopefully my tech article can show what they are getting into before they start.

Last edited by 51dueller; 04-17-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:22 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I keep getting confused as to which frame swap topic we're in, too many going at once for this OF to keep straight!
Let me try to get myself straight:
Diablo wants to use a 78 Ranger frame on a 54.
Eric Miller wants to put a 49 on a 2002 Ranger chassis.
Someone else was putting an F100 on a 2000(?) Ranger chassis and had cut the cowl off at the windshield posts to mate it to the Ranger floor and firewall and was then going to put the cab back together.
One more person wrote they were selling a started frame swap that he had bought from the guy who first gave up 1/2 way thru, and he was giving up on finishing as well.

No wonder I'm confused!

Old 04-17-2007, 11:31 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
There does seem to be a bunch "in the works". That was why I figured I should update the article somewhat.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:57 PM
~Diablo~
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
I keep getting confused as to which frame swap topic we're in, too many going at once for this OF to keep straight!
Let me try to get myself straight:
Diablo wants to use a 78 Ranger frame on a 54.
Eric Miller wants to put a 49 on a 2002 Ranger chassis.
Someone else was putting an F100 on a 2000(?) Ranger chassis and had cut the cowl off at the windshield posts to mate it to the Ranger floor and firewall and was then going to put the cab back together.
One more person wrote they were selling a started frame swap that he had bought from the guy who first gave up 1/2 way thru, and he was giving up on finishing as well.

No wonder I'm confused!
i am sorry if a sounded like a 17 year old kid on its first proyect

this is my 3rd proyect(1:53 customline did some body work no bondo and sold it,2: 49 dodge coronet i bought this one for 500 bucks last ran in 1982 i got it runing and is was cruising LA till i sold it 3 months ago 3: 54 F250 this is the current one

on my swap i am going for an older truck that way i dont worry about computers and all that fancy ****
and my 54 is a F250

the F250 is a couple of inches wider and longer than the F100

i dont worry about the gas tank if its in the way ill get another one from the junkyard that works better

Old 04-18-2007, 12:06 AM
~Diablo~
Freshman User
and to everybody thats welcoming me thanks

Old 04-18-2007, 12:19 AM
~Diablo~
Freshman User
i tought id show you some of my past proyects

this was my baby before i found my new baby my 54 f250
this is after of hours and hours of sanding
[URL=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/payaso666/carros/HPIM1511.jpg][IMG]

this is how it looked when i sold it

Old 04-18-2007, 12:22 AM
~Diablo~
Freshman User
this is my f250

Old 04-18-2007, 12:33 AM
~Diablo~
Freshman User
sorry if it looks like i like to show off

its just that i take pride in my cars in doing everything my self from mechanical to upholstry, bodywork etc.

most ****ERS today pay somebody to do all the work

then they miss all the fun like 51 dueller said so

Old 04-18-2007, 07:51 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ~Diablo~
the F250 is a couple of inches wider and longer than the F100
Yes, it's longer but I'm pretty sure it's the same width as an F-100 so I would not plan on having any extra width to play with. I know that's the case with F1s compared to F2/F3s.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:55 AM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Only the box is wider on the F-250's. The frame is exactly the same width and the wheelbase is 118" instead of 110".

Old 04-18-2007, 08:19 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Sorry I kept mixing up the frame swap topics Diablo, plus we love seeing pictures of people's projects even if they are not always Ford trucks. I've posted pix of our garage, our race cars, my brother's race cars, and other's have done the same.
I'll try my best to keep all the different projects separated, but what I've said about frame swaps not being easy and all the details that may need to be dealt with apply to all. You really need to consider that track width difference, a couple inches may not seem that significant now, but when the tires don't clear the fender edges by an inch it becomes a major problem, especially if you aren't after the highboy look. It really is a lot easier to swap other suspension onto the stock frame than to swap frames, and depending on the final look and purpose you are after you can pick and choose what will be exactly right. Tell us more about what you want to end up with, i.e. daily driver, show and shine, hauler, retro rod, slammed and bagged, canyon carver, street/drag racer, etc etc. The more details you can give the better the suggested options will be.
Nice Dodge and Effie by the way, you guys on the southern left coast are so lucky to be able to find good solid sheet metal to start with. That's why we went all the way across country to get Gracie. The rest of the country, especially the NE have to first fix all the body cancer.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:30 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by ~Diablo~
sorry if it looks like i like to show off

its just that i take pride in my cars in doing everything my self from mechanical to upholstry, bodywork etc.

most ****ERS today pay somebody to do all the work

then they miss all the fun like 51 dueller said so
Posting pics in not showing off, heck we are constantly asking for pics. We love 'em. Like AX said, not all of them have to be about trucks either. We love seeing all your stuff. Unfortunatley right now I'm at work and the pics won't show up....lol. I'll look at them tonight.

I'm with you. I like to try my hand and doing my own work also. the only difference between us and the professionals is a bit of experience and the right tools. I'm going to try my hand at upholstery before too long as well.

Bobby

Old 04-18-2007, 12:30 PM
brucewolff
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pic's YES!
Frame swap No!

Old 04-18-2007, 07:13 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If Us Crazies Didn't Try To Do These Frame Swaps , Engine Swaps Whatever Where Would We All Be Now? Thats How Hot Rodding Got Started , Someone Got A Wild Hair And Gave It A Shot . I'm With Dueller , And Yeah I'm Totally Suprised By Your Age Guy All The Young'uns 'round Here Want Honda's , I Wanted A Challenge ,plus I Got 5 Kids And All The Trappings Of Married Life So I'm On A Strict Budget So I Use What I Have Available . Besides All That I Obviously Had My 55 And Was Going Nowhere With It And I Had The 74 Given To Me Free And I Drove It In . It Had No Title So Perfect Donor / Victim . More Power To You Diablo Let's Go ! By The Way The Track Width On My 74 Clears The Front Fenders By About A 1/2 Inch .

Old 04-19-2007, 12:11 AM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Well Diablo, you at least did the right thing putting the question out there (here) where you will get the straight lo down and history of known issues to go along with the pro-con. No amount of advice (good or bad ) ever stops the determined from doing what they planned to do in the first place. Plus, the reason some of us know of some of these failed projects is because we eventually buy them for parts at a swap . Go for it and post the pics, Jon

PS: don't let Bobby hijack the tail lights.

Quick Reply: changing the frame on my 54