Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

91 F350 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:55 AM
freejay
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 F350 Questions

I may go look at a 91 F350 xlt crewcab 4x4. It is a diesel with 370000km (231000miles), no turbo, forgot to ask which tranny. Just wondering what engine will be in it, what to look for etc. The price is $3200 cad. The truck should have a Dana 60 front which should be a benefit. I'm in construction and often pull a trailer with material-probably 6-8000lbs total. How will the naturally aspirated diesel do with that??

Thanks

Old 04-12-2007, 12:15 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
You should have the 7.3 NA idi engine. It will pull it but it won't set any speed records getting you there.

What to look for? Check out how it starts when engine is cold. If starts good then the GP system is working ok and no air in fuel problems. Drive it some let engine get to normal range and see how it handles and look for lots of smoke. If a lot then I would probably pass as there might be either an IP or injector problem. It will smoke some if you stomp on it or run at high rpms.
Leave the radio off while driving it and just listen for anything unusual.
Turn on all the lights and see how alt handles the load.
Just go over it with a fine tooth comb and just be aware of what you are getting so you won't be surprized later.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:25 PM
freejay
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about the tranny? Should I avoid any? I'd prefer a manual but I'm not sure what it has.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:15 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sundre, Alberta EH !!

First find out if the PO knows anything about SCAs........ look for tech articles on SCAs http://www.arrowheadradiator.com/

Manual trans is a ZF 5 speed good trans ..... clutch medioker Auto trans is an E4OD 4speed O/D........ when it has been UPGRADED to 94-5 specs works good mostly, OEM status it has inherant problems for heavy towing. Can be fitted with a shift kit....... http://www.becontrols.com/products/electronicscat.htm