1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Justin's 56 F1-Cougar

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 03:06 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by stewards68
Some of these guys with lots more experience and patience are able to go years without driving the truck. I'm just not mature enough for that yet.... I need some instant gratification...and I'm a LOT older than you!....
Unless you consider guiding the truck onto the trailer, I have never driven mine. Wish I had bought one that could at least been driveable with a little work, but the PO made sure mine wasn't(or I didn't have big enuff b****s to try it)

Old 04-10-2007, 03:08 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Ax and Blue50F1, you are very correct about youngsters being gung-ho about jumping in and then finding the project didn't go as planned. If you think you can do a frame swap and have it running again in a few weeks, I really think you need to look at the project a little closer again.
Planning is the main concept to keep in sight. I started with what should have been a parts truck, the PO had already butchered the front frame rails in an attempt at installing a Volare front-end, and had cut holes in the firewall for steering column and brake booster with a torch! After I decided that my best way was to replace the front frame with a clip, it took me a long time measuring before I got brave enough to make the first cut. If I had bought my(second) "parts" truck before the clip, I would have used it's good frame and a Jag IFS.
Building one of these trucks using the original frame and adding IFS (or using the original front-end after rebuilding it) and some better rear springs, with a more "modern" (flame suit on) drivetrain, has to be easier than any frame swap that I could think of.
I have been working on my 53 for 4 years and counting, I hope to at least be able to drive it this summer. So don't be in a great rush to jump in feet first, many basket case projects have been sold for pennies on what was invested because someone lost interest halfway though.
I bought my '53 in 1992 when I was only 16 yrs old. I have been working on it since then and finally got it on the road about 2 years ago. There was more work involved than I initially realized, and a lot more money involved. But, I wanted this truck worse than anything and was bound and determined to finish it. Anybody who wants something bad enough will see it through, regardless of how long it takes them to get it done.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:41 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Mine was a good runner when we bought her, drove it across country to get it home. Two weeks later I started redoing the FUs of POs, and it hasn't moved under it's own power for 2 1/2 years! I plan to have it drivable again in a couple months, but I've already invested about $5K in parts and equipment needed to work on her (not counting the new large garagemahal) above the 11K purchase price and it will still take another 2K to get drivable again, and that doesn't include any finish paint or upholstery.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:12 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Ax, ssshhhh!!!! We're not supposed to disclose how much this hobby of ours cost. I've got a file folder full of reciepts from buying parts for my 53 and will add many more to it before it is done. I expect when finished, I could have bought a new F150 for what I'll spend building this one.

If it weren't for the fact that I've wanted a fat fendered Ford most of my life, the cost of the rebuild would have probably scared me away.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:17 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
We bought Gracie for that exact reason, we could buy and refurbish her for less than the cost of a new truck to tow our trailer, don't have a monthly payment for the next many years and will end up with a unique vehicle that will apreciate rather than be worthless in the end! what fun would a new truck be?

Old 04-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Justin5679
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My father was actually a very crafty man. He could do wonders with his hands and he knew how to teach himself. Tear it apart slowly and remember where things go. Then put them back together till he got it right. Luckily he passed that on to me. Also he passed some other thing's on, and being as he wasn't around much when I was a child I had to learn to deal with them myself, so I've struggled for a few years. Luckily at this point in my life I'm figuring thing's out and realizing whay he was in the shop for hours on end. Too make a long story short, I don't care how much time I take, because she will never be done and she will never be anyone else's. One day I hope to finish the project that he started before he passed, a 1979 F-150 4*4, like he had imagined....stack's and all....haha, for my mom and she can CRUISE as a family; Rana (mom), Ryan (28), Justin, Cody 21, and Chance 18, in all of our vehicle's. 78 Ford half ton, 79 Ford, 2-56 F-100's, and an 84 Bronco in memory of him to his favorite place in the Mountain's, as far as we can get without damaging anything anyway. Now as far as the money is concerned, I put my two week's in yesterday. I'll be joining a finishing carpenter whose 36 years old and full of great ideas. Luckily he joined my roofing crew as a subcontracter, realized I had potential, and is going to take me under his wing. I've given him a year of my time and hopefully I can stay longer. He know's of all the issues I have so I know he's going to work with me. As long as I keep myself busy with the JAILBREAKER, yes everyone I've named her!, I should do ok. I think that takes care of the money issue. Now I completely understand what your saying. IT'S NOT GONNA BE EASY. But I do have the drive, and I do have the mind, I just know very little and don't have Dad to ask. So the next best thing is a group of FORD guys that stick together and help eachother out. That's where you guys come in. Now, since I can just run into the house and jump on the net I don't have to go to the parts guy who probably knows' nothing at all anyway. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm a true, Ford lover, not one of the everyday Joe Shmoes' who jumps into everything head first and ends up with a broken neck. I WILL come out on top and will have a healthy hobby for the rest of my life. It's why dad bought it for me. Please don't doubt me boys, I need all the help I can get.

Thank's for Readin and Stay Blue.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Justin5679
Freshman User
Exclamation !

My father was actually a very crafty man. He could do wonders with his hands and he knew how to teach himself. Tear it apart slowly and remember where things go. Then put them back together till he got it right. Luckily he passed that on to me. Also he passed some other thing's on, and being as he wasn't around much when I was a child I had to learn to deal with them myself, so I've struggled for a few years. Luckily at this point in my life I'm figuring thing's out and realizing whay he was in the shop for hours on end. Too make a long story short, I don't care how much time I take, because she will never be done and she will never be anyone else's. One day I hope to finish the project that he started before he passed, a 1979 F-150 4*4, like he had imagined....stack's and all....haha, for my mom and she can CRUISE as a family; Rana (mom), Ryan (28), Justin, Cody 21, and Chance 18, in all of our vehicle's. 78 Ford half ton, 79 Ford, 2-56 F-100's, and an 84 Bronco in memory of him to his favorite place in the Mountain's, as far as we can get without damaging anything anyway. Now as far as the money is concerned, I put my two week's in yesterday. I'll be joining a finishing carpenter whose 36 years old and full of great ideas. Luckily he joined my roofing crew as a subcontracter, realized I had potential, and is going to take me under his wing. I've given him a year of my time and hopefully I can stay longer. He know's of all the issues I have so I know he's going to work with me. As long as I keep myself busy with the JAILBREAKER, yes everyone I've named her!, I should do ok. I think that takes care of the money issue. Now I completely understand what your saying. IT'S NOT GONNA BE EASY. But I do have the drive, and I do have the mind, I just know very little and don't have Dad to ask. So the next best thing is a group of FORD guys that stick together and help eachother out. That's where you guys come in. Now, since I can just run into the house and jump on the net I don't have to go to the parts guy who probably knows' nothing at all anyway. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm a true, Ford lover, not one of the everyday Joe Shmoes' who jumps into everything head first and ends up with a broken neck. I WILL come out on top and will have a healthy hobby for the rest of my life. It's why dad bought it for me. Please don't doubt me boys, I need all the help I can get.

Thanks for Readin and Stay Blue.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Justin5679
Freshman User
Talking

I will have to guide it on to the trailer. Luckily dad left his car ramps at the farm (semi ramps) so it should make it pretty simple with alot of effort. Remember I said Dad was crafty? Well he built a 20 foot gooseneck out of an old mobile home. I haven't gotten permission to use it yet, but I think I may have a good shot. Either way it will be hauled back to the Rushmore State, to be built and loved. Hopefully things keep going as well as they have been and I could almost guarantee that she will be road worthy and legal before the Sturgis Rally in August. No matter how much sleep I loose. There are alot of thing I've given up on in life but this will NOT be one of them.

Thanks Alot,

Stay Blue

Old 04-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Justin5679
Freshman User
Smile

I completely understand. I do have the determination to do this right so if it does take me longer than planned so be it. Now on the other hand I am young and am going to run into a ton more problems than expected. Hopefully you guys can see me through and make sure it's done correctly.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:17 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Sounds like you have the willpower to take on the job. Like we all have said, make a sound plan and stick to it and someday soon you will be driving that truck. We don't mean to sound negative, it's just that we have seen so many jump in gung-ho and end up with a pile of parts that never get put back together. The truck really has sentimental value to you, that is more reason to do it right. Keep us informed and add pictures when you can, we love pics.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Justin, I'm glad you've got a passion for it. Don't think we're trying to discourage you...just wanting to see you succeed.

I built my truck with my dad and grandad when I was in highschool (bought it when I was 17). Grandad since passed away, and some people don't understand it when I tell them that I'll never sell it, but there just can't be another truck that the three of us can build together...not unless God lets us have Bonus Builts in heaven! I think He might, but can't say for sure!

Anyway, you're in the right place, and you'll get all the help you could need and probably more.

You've got the motivation and passion to get it done through the hard times, and you're right, it will never be "finished" but it will reach a state of finished-ness where you're happy with it and like to show it off, but never DONE.

AX- I guess great minds think alike. I fought for getting an old truck when I was 17 and convinced my dad that it was a good idea with the argument that it'll be paid for, cheaper to insure, simpler to repair, therefore cheaper to maintain, and it will appreciate instead of depreciate in value. I've still got a late model ranger to drive in nasty weather (snow and ice), but the truck's my daily driver, and I convinced my wife of the same philosophy for the family car--hence the 66 Mercury (gotta stay in the Ford family). As soon as the engine is done being rebuilt it will be road worthy, and we'll piece-meal the rest of the restore like I did with my truck and have another paid for, cheaper to own, appreciating vehicle. I gotta say...this is the best way to go...I know I'll spend more money than it's worth over time, but I've only got $6k in the 50, and will have less than $2k in the car once it's roadworthy. And having no bank demanding your money every month is great! Ok...ok...ok, I think I've gone on long enough.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Justin5679
Freshman User
And don't I know it man. The '56 is all about the visor, among others. Hope you've noticed it. And yes I do plan on driving her day to day until I'm ready to build her for showing. There are a million things you can do differently but I already have it in my head. I know exactly what I'm going to do and how I'm going to do it. HARD WORK! Since I started thinking seriously about this build I haven't slept much. Like the bare minimum I guarantee it, I think I've finally found my place in life. Thank's Dad. Anyways thanks for the support and I hope you keep up with her. Like the number too. HS FB ++

Stay Blue

Old 04-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Justin5679
Freshman User
But hey I do have an issue with the '82 dually. If anyone knows what punkin I should be looking for to get to highway speeds It would be great. Oh yeah and I'm still workin with dial-up....sorry guys....but I think you've talked me into highspeed of some sort. I'll be lookin into it. When I do you'll have pictures of every vehicle and every process involved.

Stay Blue Boys

Old 04-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Justin5679
Freshman User
Sentimental value, I haven't even given the girl of my dreams a chance! It's all I can think about. I'm not used to it, but we'll see how it goes and as of now I'm 100% POSITIVE. You guys are helpin alot I can't thank you enough.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Justin5679
Freshman User
Talking You guys are awesome!

We all think alike don't we? Now were talkin. Once I set my mind to something I get it every time. Just gotta keep myself from getting bored....and I think the JAILBREAKER will do it. Thanks for seeing that guys. Now on to bigger and better things. There are alot of things that I will have to work on. The frame is in great shape for the '56 I know it is or dad would have never paid what he did. Very cheap guy kinda like me, very recently I might add, and it's almost like he's smilin down on me because in the past 3 weeks I've found a truck I can make the haul with; A cougar that will give me the suspension. The 400m out of the truck will be swapped directly onto the '56 once I have everything done to make it my daily driver, the 351 outta the Cougar will go into the '82 and will be delivered back to my mother for her farm truck. Just kind of a thank you for everything I guess. Tranny's I haven't came up with yet. But I have a 4 spd. in the truck and don't know whats in the Cougar yet so we'll see. Plus I have hoards of stuff at home that my dad saved for times like these. If mom will let me, and I pray she does, with the welder the torch and what tools I can gather without running her dry I think this is going to be an awesom experience for us all. Hope you guys stay for the fun.

Quick Reply: Justin's 56 F1-Cougar