1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

(48-60 and beyond) Weekend Plans, Dreams, Wishful Thinking, Etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 07:14 PM
48fordjeffie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48-60 and beyond Weekend Plans,Dreams,Wishful Thinking,Etc.

I did an oil change on the new truck today. My father in law has a lift, so I have been doing them at his house for quite a while. I then went to his shop to catch up as I haven't seen him a while. I was there all afternoon. I watched him shoot some high-build primer on a 35' Ford Five window Coupe. I couldn't help thinking of my truck cab in it's place. Someday, after my kids sports are through I may get back to doing some sandblasting and priming Bonus built Ford Truck parts. You can file mine under Dreams....
I may go out and put my new ignition wires on Sunday.

Jeff

Last edited by 48fordjeffie; 04-06-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:57 PM
cal401
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, you guys are are making me feel like a slug. It's 89 in Tucson and I can't get motivated to lay in the gravel. I'm gonna skip steps 1 & 2, but #3 is sounding good right now.

Cal

Old 04-06-2007, 08:59 PM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sunday there's a British car swap in Victoria, which I'm tempted to visit, since there's bound to be some cool tools/parts/accessories. Also meet a friend who has a '57 Ford. near there.
Apart from that, I really intend to haul the MIG welder out of the laundry room and fuse some metal. Make a non-holey transmission cover for the cab out of one mutilated one and a badly-rusted cover. Weld up a guard/breakaway-mount for the "combine harvester" work light that's going to be the back-up light. Maybe even fill a couple of holes in the cab. Depending on what else needs to be done, and what the weather is like, maybe begin stripping stuff off the Merc's, or taking some steps towards making the '60 Ford panel move so I can park it someplace else or sell it.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Nuthin
Elder User
Freezing drizzle here... I think Old Horse would prefer to remain undisturbed. (He'd best prefer it because he's stuck with it.)

*sigh*

Old 04-06-2007, 10:02 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,832 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Well, here it is Friday evening....

...the weather has turned sour, it figures. All week we had bright sunny days with temps in the mid 70's and very low wind (amazing for this time of year) and now, just when I get a 2 1/2 day weekend, the temp drops and the wind picks up. I'm a bit luckier than Nuthin as I don't have the freezing drizzle (its trying but its just not there yet)

Anyway, I got to tinkering with the old truck, the throttle has been bugging me so I decided to take a closer look at it. Sure enough, I'm not gettting full throttle, heck, I'm doing good to get 3/4. So, I started tweaking on it (AKA: breaking things) and skipping right to the now infamous #3. After several attempts and some minor fabricating I was ready for a test drive. Holy cow! Having the secondaries kick in really wakes the big Caddy engine right up! I'm still not getting full trhottle but its very close. I think I might have to redo the linkage....it's always something.

After that I went back through my list, somehow I got stuck on #3,or maybe it was #5...it doesn't matter, they were good!

Tomorrow.....I'll cut the battery access door and hopefully make some kind of decision about the bed mounting bolts, run through #'s 3 and 5 again to make sure I did them right and then move onto #6

Bobby

Old 04-06-2007, 10:35 PM
economan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(re)48-60 & beyond

well i got my garage back today, finally delivered of the fiat spyder i have been,working on for a fella up the road for the past couple of months. whilst waiting for the flatbed to show up to take er' away i put the batteries in both the panel & econo, which led to loading all the loose fresh painted fiat bits & pieces into the econo (rather than using the eurovan), and thus the econos first trip of the season, still below freezing here today but the roads are dry & bare, tough the 1st round trip was only 4 miles, it was a trip in a old truck noisy smelly and good ol' staight axle steering.......heaven! now that my garage is back in full service thisafternoon & evening i finally finished the painting on my ol gas pump, its now ready for assemby, then the panel comes outta the nonheated storage side and in for checkup and hopefully were good to go for nuther year. kinda hate to begin drivin the panel though....when i put it away after it's last trip for the season last year the odo registered 777777 exactly, how's that for lucky sevens,
mikie
near ottawa canada
58 merc 100 panel 64 econo p/u

Old 04-06-2007, 11:27 PM
RUSTY50F1
Posting Guru
Not much going on here this weekend. Its spitting snow and cold. Was up in the 70s almost all week. Just my luck. ........RUSTY

Old 04-07-2007, 12:48 AM
59 shorty
Senior User
Been on vacation allllllllllllllllll week! Spent most of it in the garage.welded in the mounts for the 429, pulled the rear end and cleaned and painted it. replaced bad pinion seal and fixed rusted out hole on the frame behind the front leaf spring shackle mount on left rear. (huh?) Cunsumed masive quanties of PEPSI ( Addicted I,m sure) Bad news is found a broken leaf spring so going to start looking for a local spring shop Sat.(anyone up in this area know of one?) 75 degs. today in P.N.W. Gonna barbecue Sun if weather stays nice. have a great holliday.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:59 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by My Ford Truck
Spring? What spring? I'm with Vern, Dick, and Havi, only lucky enough to be far enough south (Illinois) that we didn't get snow. Just cold. Guess I'll just have to make some cookies Saturday afternoon, have a couple of frosty ones Saturday night, and celebrate Easter on Sunday. .
Now that sounds like a plan! The Easter bunny is going to freeze his butt off here this weekend...

Old 04-07-2007, 09:51 AM
primer85f150
Senior User
Been on vacation allllllllllllllllll week! Spent most of it in the garage.welded in the mounts for the 429, pulled the rear end and cleaned and painted it. replaced bad pinion seal and fixed rusted out hole on the frame behind the front leaf spring shackle mount on left rear. (huh?) Cunsumed masive quanties of PEPSI ( Addicted I,m sure) Bad news is found a broken leaf spring so going to start looking for a local spring shop Sat.(anyone up in this area know of one?) 75 degs. today in P.N.W. Gonna barbecue Sun if weather stays nice. have a great holliday.

PEPSI addictions pay my bills, same here though 65 -70 all week , 29 this morning might get 50 and windyyy. i did get my seat though. gonna go see how it looks in a minute.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:02 AM
COM49F1
Junior User
Well Texan2004 brought me a jag last nite so I get to look at it. see if I can get the engine to run on it for posabilities, then figure out how to get the engine out to get the ifs out then get the rear out . course that will just be the brain storming and have to do #3 above at all stages to ensure creativity. and all the chores she who must be obeyed requires in between

Old 04-07-2007, 10:18 AM
primer85f150
Senior User
well guys , the astro seat fits great(pics later) , it will have to be lowered a couple inches so that my food storage area will fit under the wheel. btw those seats are heavyyy. # 3 time.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:21 AM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
I am going to get some kerosene for my heater this afternoon. I will clean up the garage while the paint continues to dry. I will sand the cab out and repaint it on Sunday. I have a few runs and some light spots. I have to hang some more lights, or buy some of those bright lights at harbor tool. I think I will get four. One for each side of truck. I will be able to see better to paint. I will order some parts on monday and install front clip on Wed. I still need to bleed the brakes. I also want to shine up the guages so they are ready for install. I will get alot done today and tomorrow.

Kevin

Old 04-07-2007, 01:55 PM
merten
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the long awaited day when my '53 is to arrive here in FL. from Minn. I bought the truck on Nov. 2 and have seen it only in pictures that my brother sent me. I'm getting a bit nervous with anticipation.

Chris

Old 04-07-2007, 05:29 PM
cal401
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Chris,

What did you wind up doing about shipping?

Cal

Quick Reply: (48-60 and beyond) Weekend Plans, Dreams, Wishful Thinking, Etc