1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installed 2008 mirrors on my 2001 today (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 01:10 AM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My aggravation has nothing at all to do with brightness. It has to do with optics.

LED lights project a beam in a fairly tight cone, from a flat plane. It's great for a beam, like for use in a flashlight. If you want brighter light, you simply add more LED's to the array. But the light only goes one way.

On the other hand, a filament bulb illuminates in a sphere, from what amounts to a single point source. You can place a reflector behind it or around it to convert that sphere into a beam. You can't add more bulbs, but you can add more wattage if you want more light. Without a reflector, the light goes all ways.

The problem comes in when you try to place the beam-only LED array into a reflector designed to be illuminated by a spherical-illumination bulb. Since the LED only projects light in one direction, it is unable to light the reflector. You're left with a quarter-sized spot of bright light in an postcard-sized unilluminated reflector. It doesn't matter how many LED's are in your bulb replacement; it only makes the "spot" bigger. I've seen 1157 sockets with LED arrays nearly 2 inches across; same problem.

This becomes an even larger problem in lights (like clearance lights, and the lights in the '08 mirrors) that are designed for hemispherical coverage, or specifically designed to NOT throw a beam.

(lawsey, it's hard to describe optics w/o pictures...)

-blaine

Old 05-13-2007, 06:29 AM
CPT_Diesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 02 XL F-250 has some pretty weak mirrors, even with factory tow package.

Anyone have a link to pictures of other mirrors? I like the extendable mirrors with the two part mirror I saw on this thread.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:21 AM
dfuser
Senior User
The plugs are not the same on the mirrors. you do have to re-wire. We include taps for you with the kit.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:11 PM
richsoucie
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You cannot replace the incandesent bulbs on a 2008 with led's it makes the computer tell you a light is out

Old 05-13-2007, 09:39 PM
110Dave
Junior User
How do you get access to the bulbs in the 08 mirrors. I took a quick look at mine but haven't figured it out yet.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:44 PM
dfuser
Senior User
Originally Posted by 110Dave
How do you get access to the bulbs in the 08 mirrors. I took a quick look at mine but haven't figured it out yet.
Thats the million dollar question. I guess we need someone with an 08 truck to look in their user guide to see if it shows it! I have contacted FORD to see if they can provide us that information.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Jammer151
New User
I would rather have function over form when it comes to "safety". NO MORE BLIND SPOTS...the larger tow mirror virtually eliminates it. Yes I like the LED myself, but like towing my 36' TH and being able to know I can see everything behind me better.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Jammer151
New User
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker
Woah, wait a minute....

No LED'S???!??!!

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The LED side signals are half the reason why I bought the whole truck!! (no kidding!)

Please tell me that's gonna change in a year or so?????

I was seriously debating this swap till I read this....

-blaine
I would rather have function over form when it comes to "safety". NO MORE BLIND SPOTS...the larger tow mirror virtually eliminates it. Yes I like the LED myself, but like towing my 36' TH and being able to know I can see everything behind me better.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:55 AM
07 F250 Aggie Mobile
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dfuser, do you guys sell the "total package" mirror with folding and telescoping or just the heated with the lights?

Old 05-16-2007, 03:54 PM
dfuser
Senior User
Old 06-14-2007, 07:50 AM
msgtg
Post Fiend
I do like the larger viewing area of the mirrors but I think the covers look clunky...especially the turn signals. I like the sleeker design covers with the rounded edges that my 03 has....but I do like the larger mirrors!

Old 06-14-2007, 02:12 PM
CounterMaker
Posting Guru
dfuser, do you sell the white caps that go over the top of the mirrors, or am i stuck with gettting them through ford and painteing them

Old 06-14-2007, 03:13 PM
metalman1320
Elder User
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker
My aggravation has nothing at all to do with brightness. It has to do with optics.

LED lights project a beam in a fairly tight cone, from a flat plane. It's great for a beam, like for use in a flashlight. If you want brighter light, you simply add more LED's to the array. But the light only goes one way.

On the other hand, a filament bulb illuminates in a sphere, from what amounts to a single point source. You can place a reflector behind it or around it to convert that sphere into a beam. You can't add more bulbs, but you can add more wattage if you want more light. Without a reflector, the light goes all ways.

The problem comes in when you try to place the beam-only LED array into a reflector designed to be illuminated by a spherical-illumination bulb. Since the LED only projects light in one direction, it is unable to light the reflector. You're left with a quarter-sized spot of bright light in an postcard-sized unilluminated reflector. It doesn't matter how many LED's are in your bulb replacement; it only makes the "spot" bigger. I've seen 1157 sockets with LED arrays nearly 2 inches across; same problem.

This becomes an even larger problem in lights (like clearance lights, and the lights in the '08 mirrors) that are designed for hemispherical coverage, or specifically designed to NOT throw a beam.

(lawsey, it's hard to describe optics w/o pictures...)

-blaine
I understand what your saying completely. But w/ the overall size of these 08 mirror turn signals, I don't think you'd lose alot optically. Yeah in a large taillight housing, it looks rediculous to have an 1157 LED bulb. But this housing and reflector area are kinda small so I don't think it would be that bad. Plus depending on what bulb they take, I've seen some of the new 194 replacement LED's and the diode is exposed within the glass bulb, so the light does transmit somewhat spherically. Just my .02.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:11 PM
dfuser
Senior User
Originally Posted by CounterMaker
dfuser, do you sell the white caps that go over the top of the mirrors, or am i stuck with gettting them through ford and painteing them
They are a FORD only part.

I opted not to offer the mirrors that has the cap as an option due to the fact they need to be painted and they end up looking like crap from bugs any way.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:44 PM
dkstuck
Elder User
I have the manual mirrors on my 05,, I don't know what the switch looks like to adjust the remote mirrors. With the problem of reverse side movement, can you hook up left side to right mirror an r to left? That may correct the problem.

Quick Reply: installed 2008 mirrors on my 2001 today (pics)