The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.
View Poll Results: Wich branch are you going to join
Army
28.57%
Navy
42.86%
Airforce
0%
Marines
14.29%
Coast Guard
14.29%
Other
0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Anyone joining the military?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 01:40 PM
bassproguy07
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone joining the military?

Ok, I know a lot of us are probably considering jong the military after high school, and I'm pretty sure it is what I want to do. Anyways have any of yall had trouble getting in due to medical issues etc.? I was looking into the coast guard and last week i talked to a recruiter about signing up and he said I have to wait a year because I am prescribed ADDERAL. He said that the navy, army, and marines would take me but the Coast Guard and the Air Force wouldnt without being off of it for a year. I dont regularly take it like I used to, just when i have a test or something at school but just because it was on my medical record i couldnt join. But yah I was just wondering if anyone else has had these issues or if anyone with ADD/ADHD has gotten in. Also feel free to just talk about what branch you are joining and why. For me its the Navy hopefully, and I will be enlisting in the Seal Challenge so i can become a seal.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:48 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was pretty down in the dumps a couple years ago, for more then one reason, i considered joining the army, to get away from here. i took all there test at the recruitment center, everything checked out fine except my body fat was a little to high, he said I'd have to drop about 15-20 pounds.

i ended up finding a good job, so i decided to stay put, glad i did.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:55 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
well, i am not sure if they changed things or not since i have been in, but i would skip the seal challenge contract and get a rate contract then try for the seals while in boot.

the reason is, if you don't pass the seal tests, or you do past but get dropped during buds training, you are no longer under contract and will get shoved the list of available rates to do, and yes, most likely the rates that are available will suck because the navy knows they can shove you into the rate where they need people, not what you want.

but if your under a rate contract, then no harm no foul, just go to your "a" school, then retry.

don't beleive the whole "your not guarenteed a place if you try out" stuff, there is a HUGE need for qualified applicants, if you qualify, you won't have a problem getting your slot.

but if you do a rate contract and want seals, then don't go nuke, they will do all they can to keep you locked in the nuke program.

but hey, i will check next week with my friend, he is a seal stationed out of little creek and i am sure he knows or can find out.

don't really trust the recruiter on what they say, they are just trying to get you in, i have even seen freinds and brothers screw over each other trying to meet the quota.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Wr3ckin_Cr3w
Senior User
wow bf thats sad what the military is now doing to meet their quota

Old 03-21-2007, 07:09 AM
booneyrat75
Senior User
"Well, i am not sure if they changed things or not since i have been in, but i would skip the seal challenge contract and get a rate contract then try for the seals while in boot.

the reason is, if you don't pass the seal tests, or you do pass but get dropped during buds training, you are no longer under contract and will get shoved the list of available rates to do, and yes, most likely the rates that are available will suck because the navy knows they can shove you into the rate where they need people, not what you want.

but if your under a rate contract, then no harm no foul, just go to your "a" school, then retry."

AMEN. bf250 pretty much said it all but here's a little more on the subject from someone that knows firsthand...
In July of 1997, I joined the Army. The same day, my brother joined the Navy. HE got the "buds/seal guarantee" from the recruiter but only because he was so stubborn and wouldn't accept anything BUT the word SEAL on his contract. I.E., no rating. So, when he failed one of the medical qualification tests given at reception (the inprocessing stage of boot camp), he was placed "at the needs of the Navy". Can you say Boatswains Mate? That's the guy that has the honor of chipping rust off a ship's deck. It wasn't too hard to get out of the situation, though. It only took two years of his life, an income of ZERO for a while, and two periods of AWOL. Yeah, he wishes he'd picked a rating instead of just throwing caution to the wind and shooting for SEAL. Now, myself, I'm still in the Army and I love it. Don't think for a second I'm bagging on the Navy, I just got lucky and found my niche. My first six years were spent in the 82nd Airborne Division of Fort Bragg, North Carolina, where I worked as a 13 Bravo, Cannon Crewmember. I truly LOVED the job, the Airborne ops, the field time, etc. but one day I woke up and had a family to think about. I re-classed into Military Intelligence and have been primarily stationed in San Antonio, Texas for the last four years. I've seen eight countries (that I can tell you about) since I've been serving and am currently stationed in Seoul, Korea. Being M.I. gives me the chance to work with ALL branches of the military and even some branches you've never heard of. I see the Navy, the Marine Corps, Airforce, and Coast Guard on a daily basis and can say they're each great in their own way. Every branch is a little better than the others in SOMETHING but when you're trying to make the decision as to where to go, my BEST advice is to do your homework. Don't rush the decision and, for God's sake, don't join to impress somebody back home. Trust me, she'll move on and you're stuck filling sandbags in a third-world sh**hole somewhere. Find Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coasties (sorry, I love calling them that) and ASK them about what they do. Don't base your opinion of an entire service on ONE guy that hates his job just like you don't want to make the same decision based on the ONE guy that you found that loves his job. You'll get out of it what you put in. That's about all I can give you on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum but I'll tell you this, I look forward to being a Soldier in the service of this great nation for the next ten years. Airborne...All the way!!!

Last edited by booneyrat75; 03-21-2007 at 07:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-21-2007, 07:18 AM
booneyrat75
Senior User
As far as all recruiters being the devil, DON'T BE AN IDIOT and expect the recruiter to do all your research for you. If you get a job you didn't like, you probably signed a legally binding, four year contract without knowing a damn thing about what it was you're supposed to be doing! I'd never make it as a recruiter. I figure there's maybe one kid in twenty that's joining for the right reasons these days. Personally, if I ever caught up with my recruiter, I'd shake his hand and thank him.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:40 PM
p.j.
Senior User
a couple of years ago i went into the air force recruiters office and he was just trying to get me to sign on the dotted line. i was 22 and had a lot of stuff on my mind and had been out of high school for a couple of years and had to take the test that you take in high school (can't think of what it is called) again. well anyway he wanted me to skip taking the placement test and just enlist and i would figure out what my m.o.s. would be after i got out of basic. i did not want to be stuck cleaning toliets for the next 4 years so needless to say i never went in. and at sometimes i wish i would have but for the most part i am glad i didn't because my family needs me here now.

but my younger cousin went into the air force right out of high school and he from what i understand loves it. he is an m.p. and has been to iraq and back. was a pall bearer in president fords funeral. and he is stationed at langley afb, his dad (my uncle) is in the navy as a nuke on an aircraft carrier stationed in virgina beach so he is close to his family.

do what you want to do, but just use your head.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:50 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Wr3ckin_Cr3w
wow bf thats sad what the military is now doing to meet their quota

i don't want it to sound like it is a "military" thing, there are a lot of great recruiters out there. but also recruiting is a tough job, tougher that what it seems and the pressure "is on" as one would say to meet a quota, so some people might be very well enticed to say lie, but not tell the whole story about the deal.

there was a guy off my boat that went to recruiting duty, to find out, he was under pressure to make quaota and he gave some guy...golden deal? the stuff that suppose to rid a person of dope, well, he and the recruit got caught, nothing happened to the recruit, but captains mast for the recruiter.

but i don't want it to sound like i am demonizing anyone, just research and get info from more than one source.