Sponsored by:

Fouling Spark plugs immediately

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:24 AM
sirandre007
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fouling Spark plugs immediately

I have a 1992 Bronco / 302 EFI with 136,000 miles on it.

The fuel pressure valve and oxygen sensor where last summer. The check engine light would come on after “warming” up but it ran fine.

I ran it out of gas (long story). After filling it with gas and putting some “injector” cleaner in it, it still would not start. Thinking I ruined the fuel pump I replaced it with a OEM from Jeffs Bronco Graveyard. Replaced the in line fuel filter on the frame under the drivers side door area and put in new spark plugs because they where black.

It started hard and ran rough, would not ideal. I stuck a snow scraper (keep it in the Bronco from September to June in lace>Michigan</ST1lace>) and ran the engine at about 1200 rpms for about 15 minutes. Ran great for about 5 days. Until I drove it about 80 miles, mostly at 60 and 73 mph. Stalled at my intersection and wouldn’t start the next morning.

Friend came over and put a code reader on it and checked the spark plugs (they where again black). He noticed that the vacuum can on the battery side was rotted out and that on the right side a vacuum tube was not connected. Made a new can from a close in size Cub Scout popcorn can, sealed the lid with jb weld and reconnected the vacuum lines. Replaced the plugs nad started it, it would not idol and the code said bad MAP sensor. Replace that, and the check engine light went off and the Bronco would idol, for a while.

Tried to road test it and made it about ˝ mile and then barley made it back to the driveway. Would not start again. Pulled the plugs and they where black again. Put in a third set, started the bronco, idled at about 1,000 rpms on it’s own for about 2 minutes and died. I pulled the first plug on the driver’s side and it was almost all black!

No check engine light is on, any idea’s?<O

Old 04-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
check your fuel pressure at the rail, also pull the vacum line off of the fuelpressure regulator if gas comes out of that line you need to replace the fpr again. where is your o2 sensor located? what brand did you get as well. what is your timing set at, should be 10*btdc with spout connector removed. i would also replace the cap/rotor, plug wires as well and check all vacum lines.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:54 AM
sirandre007
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pressure reg type

Originally Posted by Kemicalburns
check your fuel pressure at the rail, also pull the vacum line off of the fuelpressure regulator if gas comes out of that line you need to replace the fpr again. where is your o2 sensor located? what brand did you get as well. what is your timing set at, should be 10*btdc with spout connector removed. i would also replace the cap/rotor, plug wires as well and check all vacum lines.
It was a autzone $26 fuel pressure regulator. The one I am thinking is on the new exhuast, new cat converter too.

I will do those test tonight and post back the results. The fuel pressure reg is under warrenty, so I might just pull it and replace it anyway. three scews and a hose or 2.

Thanks

Old 04-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i suggest getting both the fpr and o2 sensor from ford. the cost is a bit higher but a much better product and track record.