yblockhead and other 3x2 owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:54 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yblockhead and other 3x2 owners

well hello i saw pictures of yblockheads triple duece set up y block and it was buetiful. i was just wondering more specifics on this engine and others with a similar set up. like what all parts you used and where you got them. thanks. i would love to build one similar and just wondering some specifics.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:49 PM
acheda
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had some experience with 3-2's on 312 Y-blocks in the '60's. Both a friend and I ran them for a while. After a while, the novelty wore off and we both returned to 4-barrel carbs. Still they are pretty and can work well if you are into tinkering. You cannot beat them for "cool factor".

My friend had a solid linkage setup - all three carbs opened at once. It would pull like crazy from 3,000 rpm & above, but if you punched it below 3,000 rpm, it was exactly as if you turned the key off. The engine would just die. Great for racing, but not so good around town.

I had a progressive linkage, but these are not all created equal. Cheap ones will require weekly (daily?) tinkering. A good linkage setup will take one setup and hold it for a long time. It will let you give the center carb full throttle until you are ready for the end carbs.

Another issue is fuel distribution. Again there are kludges that create a large number of places to leak gasoline and others that are a work of art. Air cleaners: one long one as the 406's had or three cute little ones. Better have air cleaners because tuning problems are more likely to cause backfires, or did you want to repaint your hood anyway?

Keep an eye out on eBay. Sometimes I think one of every speed part ever sold shows up on eBay every month or so. Be ready to pay a lot for a perfect setup, or to buy a bunch of incomplete setups.

Personal preference: Chandler-Grove carbs, with Holleys second best. The CG's had a lot of possibilities for mixing and matching things like nozzel bars and secondary venturies. I put a little itty-bitty carb in the center for super torque and big ones on the ends to give a good top end. Lots of fun and almost any change I made seemed to make it work even better.

NOW, lets hear from the Stromberg fans . . .

Last edited by acheda; 04-03-2007 at 06:51 PM. Reason: add info
Old 04-03-2007, 09:21 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
im thinking of building a 60s style gasser and thought maybe a built up yblock would be fitting. i love the look of triple dueces. im running a 4barrel on my 59 but its going to be a daily driver. that and i would like to know where certain people got there parts and all kinds of other details.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
59Flatbedford,

Thank for the compliments. I’ll try to give you some info without boring you too much.

The engine in the pictures is in my ’55 Ford Ranchwagon. It is a ’57 312 (now displacing 318 cu “) that I have done quite a bit of works on (most of which cannot be seen of coarse). The intake manifold is a Edelbrock with three stromberg 97’s that have progressive linkage.

It has a Clay Smith cam, chrome molly push rods and 1.6 to 1 aluminum roller rockers. Valve covers and valley pan are from Moon Equipment.
Don’t know if you can see, but all bolts are polished stainless steel.

The transmission is a ’74 Ford C-4 that has been ‘modified’ a little with a shift kit, Kevlar bands and clutches and a ‘C code’ servo. Also has a 2200 RPM stall converter.

3.55 8” third member.

If you need more specific info, give a holler,

Y-Blockhead

Old 04-04-2007, 08:06 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
where on earth did you find roller rockers for a 292. what would be a fair price to pay for a edelbrock 573 intake. also what carbs are the best and why.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
59flatbedford,

Yeh, I guess I should have given you some places to look;

www.ford-y-block.com for speed parts and lots of good info.

www.vintagespeed.com for carbs and parts, air filters etc.

www.redsheaders.com for more parts.

And I don't know if this is Kosher with the Site Gurus but check www.y-blocksforever.com. Don't spank me guys if I did something wrong, just trying to help a fellow Y-Blocker.

As far as Edelbrock manifolds, since they haven't been manufactured in years keep an eye on E-bay, I don't really know what to expect to pay for one. I picked up mine ~ 5 years ago with the Strombergs for $600.00. You could probably expect to pay that for the Stromberg these days.

And finally the best carbs... ha,ha. Everyone has an opinion on that. I personally perfer the the Strombergs for the looks and the way the accelerator pump rods on the outside so you see them move when you rev the engine (yeh, I got my head hanging out the window checkin' those babies out. But seriously, there are many new parts being made for the Strombergs including base plates, air horns, throttle shafts and adjustable main jets. Also BRAND NEW Stroms are now being manufactured.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:50 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
yea i checked out the new stomburgs last nite. about 500 bucks apiece but other than that they looked really cool. i was just wondering if there was some definate problems strong points with the differnt carbs. thanks.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Tom Dowdell
Freshman User
rocker arms

for rocker arms go to http://www.rockerarms.com/
I have used them for rebuilds of rocker arms and they make the alumanum high ratio rocker arms also. Real helpfull