1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The Years Can Be Cruel

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 01:55 PM
grover
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink The Years Can Be Cruel

Back when I was 16 and driving my very first vehicle, a 1957 F-100 long bed Stepside, I'd have given almost ANYTHING just to get one girl that I went to school with in my truck. However, my truck was too old and lacked a big honkin' V8 under the hood, and the fact I was something of a geek may have contributed to my lack of success

Last week my 15-year-old daughter was in a school play, and I offered the use of my truck to haul set pieces and lighting equipment after the play was over. At one point I had about eight teenage girls (my daughter included) in the bed or riding the running boards as I (slowly) made my way across the parking from one building to another. All the girls were having a great time and thought my '54 F-250 was incredibly cool.

Trouble is, now I'm 48, married, and I'm still something of a geek. About the only thing that hasn't changed is I still have all my hair. Sigh....

Old 03-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats on being a former "Orphan Years Truck" owner, though what you had is called & T.M.'d by FoMoCo a "FLARESIDE", C*#@y's are called & T.M.'d "Stepside".

A fun story about your daughter, the Play, her friends & better to be a cool geek w/ a cool truck, though not an "Orphan Years Truck", than not be considered cool by them @ all as most parents these days wish they had your closeness that you've w/ your daughter.

Last edited by Col Flashman; 03-29-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:52 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Your story reminded me of a story I heard a guy tell the other day. He said when he was in school he always dreamt of having a van full of 16 year old girls. Now, some 35+ years later, he transports his daughter's soccer team and dreads being stuck in a van full of 15-16 year old girls.

Be careful what you wish for, some day it may come true.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:12 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
LOL...these tales make me smile...

Don, my story is a bit similar. I drove into highschool in the mornings in a very rough 1960 F-100, big window wide bed. The truck was bare bones, not even a heater. There was so much rot on the floors the when it rained I had water marks on the insides of the doors as well as the outside. I managed to find a set of Mustang buckets to bolt into the old truck, those and 4 gauges was all I had. I drove that truck in the winter with a blanker wrapped around me and I thought I was driving a Caddy. I did sweet talk a gal into a date now and again....somehow there was never a second date if I was driving that old truck...ah, lots of fun memories in the old dog.

Now here it is 20+ years later and I'm driving an old truck without a heater, one that gets you wet when it raining and I still think I'm driving a Caddy (now I at least have a Caddy engine)

Thanks for the memories
Bobby

Old 03-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There was Father's '60 F-100, Mother's '60 Ranchwagon, my '58 Custom 300 & '60 Falcon Stationwagon & I had loads of fun driving All of them during Highschool.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Col Flashman
There was Father's '60 F-100, Mother's '60 Ranchwagon, my '58 Custom 300 & '60 Falcon Stationwagon & I had loads of fun driving All of them during Highschool.
These are all very cool rides, I loved them then and I love them now.
Not much has changed except for the hair.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:58 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I plan on driving my 1956 on a trip on my 50th birthday this year. I also drove a 56 F100 in high school-but I wasn't a geek--and did drive the girls around in my truck!!First day out of school/senior year--that night took a whole loadin my bed to the cemetery for beer and trying to score.It was great fun!!!I am reliving my youth!!! ahh-yea--those were the days!!!!!

Old 03-29-2007, 08:16 PM
grover
Senior User
Talking

Originally Posted by Col Flashman
Congrats on being a former "Orphan Years Truck" owner, though what you had is called & T.M.'d by FoMoCo a "FLARESIDE", C*#@y's are called & T.M.'d "Stepside".

A fun story about your daughter, the Play, her friends & better to be a cool geek w/ a cool truck, though not an "Orphan Years Truck", than not be considered cool by them @ all as most parents these days wish they had your closeness that you've w/ your daughter.
When I began looking for a truck the year I bought my '54, I had planned to try to find another '57 Flareside long bed, but I couldn't. I would later find out that they only made 1800 of them, and even fewer of those were Deluxe cabs, which is what I had. My dad sold that truck to my uncle, forcing me to drive a clapped-out '64 Falcon. I never quite forgave him for that.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:44 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
From time to time,when he's not too embarrassed to be seen with his old man,in his even older truck,my son will try his best to look disinterested ,as I drop him at school or at a school function.Secretly ,he loves the attention it gets from his friends,and he knows it will most likely be his one day.The funniest thing is,he has to ask me to turn down my Led Zeppelin.My,how times change.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:16 PM
jreilly57
Senior User
Heck, I picked up my 12 year old (girl) from school a few months ago and she was embarassed by my old truck. She told me that I "ruined her social life" by picking her up in the ol truck. Oh well, I just honked the old bull horn and embarassed her more!!!! I shoulda had a son!!!

Old 03-29-2007, 11:36 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grover
as Paul Harvey would say; Now for the rest of the story.
Those girls you just drove around can't stop talking about the neat old truck they got to ride on, with some old guy driving.
Sorry Man, realiaty check.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:45 AM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well i just cant wait till i get to drive my fully rebuilt 59 to highschool. but till it gets done its just the old beat up 64.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:20 AM
grover
Senior User
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Grover
as Paul Harvey would say; Now for the rest of the story.
Those girls you just drove around can't stop talking about the neat old truck they got to ride on, with some old guy driving.
Sorry Man, realiaty check.
It's even worse that just being "some old guy." I substitute teach at that school (I'm working on a teaching certificate, even at my age!), so they all know me. So, I'm just Mr. Neighbors, the sub that drives that neat old truck.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:21 AM
hoof
Senior User
I had a 1969 Galaxie as my first car, it held just as many girls as a pickup, but they all got to ride INSIDE!

Someone on the HAMB has in there signature something about how great high school girls are, he keeps getting older and they stay the same age.

CHAZ

Old 03-30-2007, 09:26 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
My kids are a little different than most kids of old truck owner I have talked to. My boys, 13 & 15 really enjoy it when I pick them up at school. The kids around them when I pick them up tell them that I have a cool truck. My kid even wants to drive my F-4 rack truck to school next year when he gets his license, that's if I have it driveable by then. If not, he can drive the panel.

Quick Reply: The Years Can Be Cruel