Notices

Truck camper wiring

Old 03-29-2007, 02:15 AM
az camper
New User
az camper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Truck camper wiring

I recently got a in bed Camper from my Grandpa, and now I am trying to get it wired in to my truck. It is an old camper and doesn't have a battery of its own, it just runs off the trucks. There are only 2 little lights that run on electricity, everything else is propane. On his truck (90 F150) there was a constant power line running to the trailer plug, so all he had to do was plug the camper in there and it worked fine. My truck (04 F250) does not have a constant power back there, I tested all the lines and they only have power when the truck or lights are on. The Ford dealer here told me the center post in the trailer plug was constant power but its labeled and tested out to be the reverse lights. I know there is danger in running constant power to the camper but being that it is only two little lights its on more a danger than leaving your dome light on.

In short what I'm wondering is if there is a constant power line near the rear bumper or the bed that I can run off of, or if i have to run a whole new line directly off the battery.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:47 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
horsepuller has a superb reputationhorsepuller has a superb reputationhorsepuller has a superb reputationhorsepuller has a superb reputationhorsepuller has a superb reputationhorsepuller has a superb reputationhorsepuller has a superb reputationhorsepuller has a superb reputationhorsepuller has a superb reputationhorsepuller has a superb reputationhorsepuller has a superb reputation
Check the plug wiring in this link. A seven pin plug should have 12V power. I'm not too familiar with the superduties, but it's been said here in the forum that they often don't come equipped from the factory with the relays needed for towing. So you might check for missing relays first.

Thanks for making your first post here in the towing forum and welcome to FTE!

Old 03-31-2007, 09:15 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
The +12v on the seven pin plug is only live with the engine running. A relay controls it on modern Ford trucks with the tow package. It is intended for house battery charging. In your case, I suggest running an independent wire to the truck battery, or the solenoid terminal nearby with an in-line fuse right there.

Jim

Old 03-31-2007, 11:48 AM
gt250
Senior User
gt250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not to get off the subject but why is there not a forum for truck campers?

Old 03-31-2007, 03:43 PM
Greywolf
Post Fiend
Greywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputationGreywolf has a superb reputation
MY suggestion is to find a place for a battery box and a gel cell battery (deep cycle will do) and run a charge wire to the wire at your seven way. Then run a self resetting breaker and a cut-out switch from the second battery to the camper power input.
This way the deep cycle will charge when the truck runs, you'll have a cut-out switch to prevent any oops's when the camper isn't used, you won't risk discharging the truck battery, and the circuit will be protected.

See the sticky up top for the thread with the basic seven-way plug pinout diagram.

Most of these old campers had a storage area on each side of the truck bed more than big enough.