1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Anybody ever pay attention to the old Sanford and Son reruns?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:08 PM
stewards68
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody ever pay attention to the old Sanford and Son reruns?

I saw a rerun of an old Sanford and Son episode tonight on TV land. Thanks to TiVo, backed it up and watched the opening credits in slo-mo. That was actually a pretty nice '52 by my guess. I'm sure some of you guys have noticed in the past, but it was the first time I'd caught a good look at it... Thought it was kind of neat. Wouldn't it be cool to make a '52 into a look-alike?

I also thought that one time I read that they used several old trucks during the filming of the show, and the one they used in most of the actual episodes was a Merc. Any TV trivia experts here?

Old 03-28-2007, 10:22 PM
stewards68
Senior User
Wow...got curious and found my own answer! Right here in our own ford-trucks.com gallery is THE truck! Can't figure out how to get it posted here, but that's pretty cool! Apparently it's a '51? And Wikipedia says there was a second Mercury truck...

Old 03-29-2007, 09:28 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes-I saw the ''SANFORD"" truck on ebay for sale -in past 6 months,I believe. I saw a recent show -where Rollo restored Fred's truck and it is all repainted and re-lettered.I didn't remember that skit,before. I really loved that program--''Elizabeth--I'm comin' ''-AND THAT COOL TRUCK WAS GREAT!!!!Bill

Old 03-29-2007, 10:21 AM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
Yeah, there was a discussion about that truck on here a few months ago, I'm sure if you do a search you'll find it.. Also talked about other TV trucks.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:14 AM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Trucks

On Tuesday night (3-27-07) starting at midnight there was on "Mash" a 48-50 green Ford pickup. Don't know the model number but it had a bed with smooth sides and square stakes. The rear fenders were like on a single wheel boat trailer. Maybe this was a special order military issue. Did anyone else see this? Have a great day, chuck

Old 03-29-2007, 02:51 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 49fordpickumup
On Tuesday night (3-27-07) starting at midnight there was on "Mash" a 48-50 green Ford pickup. Don't know the model number but it had a bed with smooth sides and square stakes. The rear fenders were like on a single wheel boat trailer. Maybe this was a special order military issue. Did anyone else see this? Have a great day, chuck
I'm a pretty big M*A*S*H fan, and I know the truck your talking about.. Far as I can tell its a 48-50 F-2 or F-3 (most of the emblems are removed), with a non-Ford 8 ft bed. It shows up in more than one episode.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:07 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I'm watching reruns of Sanford & Son I'm in no condition to pay attention to anything.
As for the Truck being sold, there probubly have been a couple dozen sold on E-pay and other sites. We had a scammer on here a year or so ago that was setting up to sell the "John Wayne" Truck, we blew him out of the water.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:33 PM
48fordjeffie
Senior User
Anybody ever pay attention to the old Sanford and Son Reruns?

Guys,
I watch a few minutes of Sanford and Son occasionally. The last episode I saw Fred and Lamont were going camping somewhere. The truck was in the whole episode. Fred wanted to leave, but the old effie wouldn't start. Lamont was cranking on the starter, wirrrrr....It didn't sound like a F1 to me - sound effects? Another episode they had a brand new 73 C____y truck where the Effie was parked. The thing was brand new.!!!! I agree with Dick the acting was pretty bad in some 70's sitcoms, not MASH though. It was top notch!!
I did see the MASH episode your talking about. I loved the show when I was a kid and probably more now because it brings back such great memories of my childhood. The truck does show up occasionally, I think I have seen it in an episode about some Korean orphans. My wife and I have all the episodes on dvd. She's a nurse and don't take any **** from anyone. I call her Margaret.
Too bad the ARMY didn't use Effies instead of those darn power wagons during Korea. Sorry to ramble, I love MASH!!!

Jeff (former GMG2 (sw))

Old 03-29-2007, 08:59 PM
stewards68
Senior User
Another couple of Effie's show up on "The World's Fastest Indian". (Great flick, by the way, for any gearhead.) There is a really nice '53, I think, that Anthony Hopkins almost runs into when he's first learning to drive on the right side of the road.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:10 PM
48fordjeffie
Senior User
Anybody ever pay attention to the old Sanford and Son Reruns?

steward,
You can do a search for a thread on this movie. Dick started a thread on this a while back. I think it was "local boy makes the big screen". A guy in California had his F1 as a push truck in the movie. I think it had Pop's speed shop on the doors. Your right that was a great movie. Probably one of the best I've seen in a long time.
Jeff

Old 03-29-2007, 09:20 PM
F100Central
Junior User
I'm watching Sanford & Son Right Now

Sanford and Son comes on right after MASH most nights where I live, so I end up listening to it and watching sometimes.

There was a Sanford & Son look-a-like truck in Classic Trucks magazine 2-4 months ago???? It was a small photo at one of the shows they covered if I remember right. I think it was slammed on the ground with that Sanford orange paint job....Sweet!

I know a lot of people including myself that grew up watching MASH with their dads and love the show. It was/is an amazing series. It's been on TV a lot lately. MASH guys had a great 54 bus that they were running around in on a recent episode. It was completely green, of course. It broke down, but that's beside the point

It's been a while since I've seen American Graffiti, but there's an old Ford truck or 2 cruising around there too!

Old 03-29-2007, 11:23 PM
59'er F100
Senior User
All I can say is:

"Bum Bum Bum Bum Buda, Buda"

and
Fred Sanford: Oh, this is the biggest one I ever had. You hear that Elizabeth? I'm coming to join you honey.

I think I barely remember the syndicated reruns...not to date myself (or others!)

Old 03-30-2007, 11:13 AM
shortyforty
Junior User
This was my work truck in Idaho back in the late 70's. Bought it from a retired logger for $100 then sold it 3 years later for the same.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:23 AM
48fordjeffie
Senior User
Anybody pay attention to the old Sanford and Son reruns?

Nice old working effie Dan. I bet you wish you still had it! My first truck was a 69C----y C10. I wouldn't mind having it back to be honest. No room or money for more.
Nice photograph!
Jeff

Old 03-31-2007, 06:26 PM
Knucklebuster
Senior User
My girlfriend refers to my back yard as a Sanfor & Sons back yard.
It has actually become my theme song (every hero needs one).

Little did you know that Lamont and Aunt Ester air bagged to rig.
I found it at the Primer Nationals in Ventura last year and had to get a picture of it.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever pay attention to the old Sanford and Son reruns?