1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Wiring fault on trailer" message

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Strut61
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No attacks here..........In my world of Construction and Engineering, KISS is almost a professional term.

Apologies if taken personally.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:26 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Strut61
No attacks here..........In my world of Construction and Engineering, KISS is almost a professional term.

Apologies if taken personally.
Yep i am familiar with the term, just thought you might be trying to single out one word.

To me the KISS principle and basic step by step trouble shooting go hand in hand.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:51 AM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You'll get that message if your trailer has hydraulic over electric (or surge) brakes. The new controller isn't compatible with surge brakes.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Paige Haddock
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking at my lemon law options now. I have a very expensive machine that I've been told by Ford NOT to pull a trailer as long as the 'wiring fault on trailer' light keeps coming up. I thought I had it fixed last week. Celebrated too soon. It's back. I can't use a truck that won't haul. That's the only reason I don't drive a Toyota.

2008 F450 4x4 dually with everything, including headaches.

BTW, this is my 6th Ford. Sorry, it might be my last.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:48 PM
cfd29
Senior User
I hope this gets solved before I get my 2008, just went thru the lemon law on my 2007, and Ford finally did a replacement, with a 2007 that had only 3500 miles on it now I have the 2008 on order, hope I get a good one this time...

Old 07-03-2007, 10:43 PM
TexasTroop
Freshman User
Well, after a long break my error message has come back again. I read the other post about the trailer connection having water in it. I guess I'll be taking that apart pretty quickly as I really can't tolerate that beeping for another second. Thanks very much to Strut61 for the information.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:27 PM
TexasTroop
Freshman User
Well that didn't take long at all. I got the trailer connection off and taken apart and there was a pretty decent amount of water in there. I got all the water blown out of there and no more fault message. Thanks again for the info. It probably would have taken my dealer a week to fix that. I didn't put any type of seal on it tonight because it's dark and I'm tired but I'll get it sealed up tomorrow and hopefully I won't ever hear that annoying beep again!

Old 07-28-2007, 02:18 PM
pilotshot
Senior User
I just had the "Wiring Fault on Trailer" repaired at Ford dealership. I looked in Ford Oasis for the background on this fault. It STATES that the fault message in the D2806 message centre with Factory TBC option may be due to water intrusion in C4099 and the round 7-pin connector used for trailer towing. Inspect both connector C4099 and the round 7-pin connector for water intrusion. If there is corrosion in C4099, replace with pigtail 3U2Z-14S411-JXA and add Dielectric grease. If there are no signs of water intrusion follow the appropiate pinpoint test. Engineering is currently investigating.Continue to monitor Oasis.

My female Trailer Connector C4099 had corrosion at back of the connector due to water intrusion. A new pigtail 3U2Z-14S411-JXA and the C4099 were replaced under warranty. The message is now gone and appears to be working OK.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:30 AM
scsmith42
Senior User
I too am getting the fault, only when towing though. The funny thing about it is that everything is working correctly in terms of trailer brakes, lights, etc, and that the fault alert occurs only when I have been braking for several seconds.

I have not had it occur w/o a trailer hooked up, nor does there appear to be any negative impact to the actual performance of the trailer brakes.

It occurs more frequently if my trailer is plugged into the receptacle that I added in the bed, as opposed to the receptacle under the rear bumper, but it does occure on both.

I'm going to pull all of the connectors and plugs apart to check for moisture, and then fill them up with the dielectric grease.

Thanks to all for the info that's been shared to date.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:03 AM
bobhayes
New User
Question Wiring Fault on Trailer Message

I've got the same issue with my 2008 F350.

I drove 7000 kms. to the Yukon & back towing my 25 ft trailer and had to listen to the annoying beep every 20 seconds. Everytime the message came up the brakes would "kick out" so I finally disconnected the wiring connector plug while I was in the wilderness and re-connected it at every town so I at least had brake lights..

All this after spendng $1500 at the RV dealer rewiring my entire trailer connections and redoing the brakes before departing because of the message.

Took the truck to the Ford dealer....who told me it was a trailer problem, RV shop says its the truck. My 99 F250 never gave me any issues.

Anyone got a fix from Ford yet?? Any Ford Bulletin #s available??

Last edited by bobhayes; 01-22-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:02 PM
pilotshot
Senior User
I had this problem last March and had it repaired by Ford. Ford issued Broadcast Message 7052,7108 and Ford Special Service Message 19852 issued 06/29/2007 concerning Message Center displaying "Wiring Fault on Trailer". The warning light comes on when there is water intrusion/corrosion in the trailer connector socket C4099 or the 7 pin connector. If water /corrosion is present, replace with pigtail 3U2Z-14S411-JXA and lube with silicone dielectric grease. If no sign of water, perform normal pinpoint diagnosis.

My truck was only five months old when I had the "Wiring Fault on Trailer" light and the beeps. There was water and corrosion in the trailer's connector C4099 so the pigtail harness 3U2Z-14S411-JXA was replaced. I have had no problems since.

Have your dealership also check Oasis for further update on this as Ford Engineering was investigating the problem at the time when I had the warning light..

Old 01-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Tom Hoffman
Senior User
Wow another thing with mine! I took mine back to the dealer 2 times because it kept saying trailer disconnected and then the brakes quit all together. Now I plug it in and it does not even show a trailer is there but the lights all work the dealer said it is my trailer. But I did not think so... Well I guess there might be a problem with the truck.
mmmmmmmmm. Does this sound like it could be the same thing as you guys?

Old 01-22-2008, 03:17 PM
marspec
Senior User
[QUOTE]/Wow another thing with mine! I took mine back to the dealer 2 times because it kept saying trailer disconnected and then the brakes quit all together. Now I plug it in and it does not even show a trailer is there but the lights all work the dealer said it is my trailer. But I did not think so... Well I guess there might be a problem with the truck.
mmmmmmmmm. Does this sound like it could be the same thing as you guys?QUOTE]
The only way you'll solve the truck/trailer finger pointing is to try another trailer that you know works with somebody else's controller. I had that problem and couldn't convince the trailer dealer it was the trailer because their tester showed the trailer was OK. I had them hook the bosses' truck (also a Ford) up to my rig and they had the same results as the controller on my truck - trailer fault. On mine "trailer disconnected" the brakes worked --"trailer fault" they didn't.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:01 AM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Originally Posted by Nathan C
wiring fault on trailer message comes on with trailer hooked up. But everything works fine. The higher I have the gain turned up the more the message pops up. Then theres other times if I use the trailer brakes alot under heavy load, The trailer brake controller will turn off and will read trailer disconected. Thus no trailer brakes. Anyone else have this problem.
Nathan, I had a brand new trailer on its maiden voyage on my truck. It drove me crazy. It turned out the brake wires were not hung properly on the left side of the trailer and were rubbing on the trailer tires and wheels. This thing is so sensitive it was picking up the static electricity from that. Other than that, I've not had problems like the initial poster related.

Last edited by Larry NCKS; 01-24-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Paige Haddock
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a note guys,
You all know that I bought the special tape that was recommended, then repaired the trailer plug myself back in July after the dealer 'fixed' it again. (photos of the fix in my gallery) My fix worked until last week, when once again, the message came back. In addition to this, I have 15 other problems, some electrical, some not, that persist. The truck remains parked, only to be driven 2-5 miles each day. Afraid to take it anywhere else. Ford says not to pull a trailer because of the integrated braking system that may be at risk when this message light comes on. Ford is still playing games with me. Offered me $5000 back in November to shut up and go away. I can't do that in a truck that won't run. Sorry guys, not blasting Ford. I loved my Ford. Certainly not my first if you notice from my posts dating back many years. It's been sad dealing with this new F450. I'll say again, I think it was one of the first produced (12/06) and someone in Kentucky just didn't know where to put the bolts. Waiting on Ford to buy it back so I can get going again.

Quick Reply: "Wiring fault on trailer" message