Alaska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Wolves

Old 03-20-2007, 12:48 AM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wolves

I went to a farm today to lease out one of my horses to a young girl. She had bears, a tiger, a cougar, a lion some cyotes, a lioness cub and a pack of wolves with babies. I took a baby wolve as part of the trade. I guess she's called a siberian wolf but you guys would know better than me. Anyways she's scared of me but seems to think that my lab is her big brother. lol. Anyways, I just thought you guys up there might appreciate that. I have pictures but don't know how to post them as I don't use the internet much. She's my baby wolf.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:12 AM
kmccune
Freshman User
Pretty cool! Just be sure that you don't need a license in your state to own a normally wild animal. In WI you need a fur license, even if you have no intention of ever selling any hides.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:25 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kmccune
Pretty cool! Just be sure that you don't need a license in your state to own a normally wild animal. In WI you need a fur license, even if you have no intention of ever selling any hides.
Shoot, I didn't even think about that when I took her. What if she has Siberian Husky mix somewhere way up the blood line. I mean, she's still wild but someone bred them in Alaska with a Husky. Might be her great grandfather. Mom's still full wolf.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:10 AM
kmccune
Freshman User
Didn't mean to get ya all worried, it was just a thought. We raised silver fox when I was a kid so it just popped into my head.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:26 AM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kmccune
Didn't mean to get ya all worried, it was just a thought. We raised silver fox when I was a kid so it just popped into my head.
No, It's just howling like a wolf and she's only a baby. Lord knows what I'm getting into.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:54 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well if ya got chickens John, She should be well fed. HAAAA

Old 03-26-2007, 01:14 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
No chickens as of yet. We were gonna get some chicks... but I'm more worried about the lab digging under the hen-house to get to them.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:42 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
We have lost many a dog to the wolves here. Someting to think about.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:16 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by arctic y block
We have lost many a dog to the wolves here. Someting to think about.
Yeah, we got her as a tiny baby and my 8 month old lab thinks he's king Alpha male. But I dont know... When she gets to full size I fear I may have to give her up because she's already fighting back at 1/3 his size. They seem to be good friends now but I fear for my Lab a little. An Arctic Wolf is almost twice the size of a lab and much more fierce. Plus there is my wife and her 19 ear old daughter. I'll smash the thing but who knows if it steps out of line when I'm not here?

Old 03-26-2007, 06:51 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
They are a beautiful creature John. But they are what they are. And as she grows keep an eye on her to see what her temperament is. Better to get ride of her if she shows to many signs of aggression when she is young than to wait till she hurts someone. I've been around enough of them to know that when there hormones kick in and they hear the call of the wild as they say. That She can take you and anyone else in her way out and not give it a thought. That after about three years of being a family pet and a good friend. Some will make pets. Maybe one in a 100. All depends on if the domestic dog in her is more dominant Than that of the wolf. Best of luck to ya with her Bud.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:29 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by arctic y block
They are a beautiful creature John. But they are what they are. And as she grows keep an eye on her to see what her temperament is. Better to get ride of her if she shows to many signs of aggression when she is young than to wait till she hurts someone. I've been around enough of them to know that when there hormones kick in and they hear the call of the wild as they say. That She can take you and anyone else in her way out and not give it a thought. That after about three years of being a family pet and a good friend. Some will make pets. Maybe one in a 100. All depends on if the domestic dog in her is more dominant Than that of the wolf. Best of luck to ya with her Bud.
No, I hear ya and I agree. And I am watching her. But it takes something bigger than a cougar to take me down. And if she ever got agressive and hurt a member of my family, GOD help her. She seems to be acting like a normal puppy now. But I have my eye on her. If I HAVE to, I mean, if she forces me. I will take her out.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:42 AM
gt250
Senior User
I had a wolf dog once. It was great with the kids, they would crawl all over him and it never bothered him not saying your wolf will be that way. When he got older I could not keep him at home - they are escape artist. I tried harness, choke collers, ect ect. finally the naghbor was leaving me nasty notes threatning to shoot him and my 1 year old lab for eating his chickens and rabbits. I didnt want to put him in a kennel, I never had a dog kennel . He quit eating dog food after that and took off every time you would take your eye off of him, He ended up with a 22 bullet right between his eyes it never killed him, took him to my vet they said to just leave it there. He ended up turning on me and I had to put him down. Oh ya he never barked he would howl at night witch was cool at first until he started doing it every night.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:23 AM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gt250
I had a wolf dog once. It was great with the kids, they would crawl all over him and it never bothered him not saying your wolf will be that way. When he got older I could not keep him at home - they are escape artist. I tried harness, choke collers, ect ect. finally the naghbor was leaving me nasty notes threatning to shoot him and my 1 year old lab for eating his chickens and rabbits. I didnt want to put him in a kennel, I never had a dog kennel . He quit eating dog food after that and took off every time you would take your eye off of him, He ended up with a 22 bullet right between his eyes it never killed him, took him to my vet they said to just leave it there. He ended up turning on me and I had to put him down. Oh ya he never barked he would howl at night witch was cool at first until he started doing it every night.
Not exactly what I wanted to hear but I got artillery, so if she gets out of line I'll give it to my wife. Personally, I'll just choke it out.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:39 AM
gt250
Senior User
I think you'll be alright if your home alot, when I had mine I was working on the north slope alot, I would be gone for 2 to 3 months at a time. My Ez tried leaving him at home and he did'nt like that And alot depends on how you raise it to.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:04 AM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gt250
I think you'll be alright if your home alot, when I had mine I was working on the north slope alot, I would be gone for 2 to 3 months at a time. My Ez tried leaving him at home and he did'nt like that And alot depends on how you raise it to.
I gotta tell ya'll. I got a job to do with these un-friendlies across the US. I've been given the go- ahead so why don't we talk in a few days?