Kenne Bell S/C for 460?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
None taken. I probably should have jumped on it, but its not that big a deal. Like I said before this is the 5th Vortech I have found (didnt really find it, it kind of jumped out at me). I shouldnt be so particular i guess, I'm one of those people who has a plan from the start and wants to finish it that way- But other things always seem to compromise me at the wrong times..... Oh well. I know another KB will pop up sometime but who knows when. Honestly I keep getting closer to doing a turbo. Been doing a lot of research. we'll see. You never know, another vortech might be in the classifieds tomorrow haha. Im sure some people wonder why I didnt just buy the 1st centrifugal that I found...heck some guys have been hunting one of those and have a hard time. Starting to ask my self the same thing. Hopefully the kid who bought the kenne bell will post up some pics and numbers on here somewhere so we can all see how good it works...

Old 05-07-2014, 12:11 AM
Big350
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a very old thread but 18 month after purchasing the KB S/C on EBay I finally got it installed. I 've posted 3 pics in Album area titled "Kenne Bell 460 Supercharger". I still need to clean up a few things to make it a little nicer under the hood. I only have a short test drive on it but it seems to run great and develops boost at very low RPMs.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
I about pissed my pants when I saw this... Man I am jealous. Can't wait to see the pics and more feed back on driving. I am betting it turned that 460 into a torque monster... Awesome

Old 05-07-2014, 04:33 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
Hard to believe you are the only guy on here running one of these.. Last person to have one was back in 2007... Wish it was mine .

Old 08-18-2015, 11:34 PM
bikeymikey
Senior User
I have a KB SC in my f350 460. I need to post pics of the truck. I also need to do some maintenance on the SC. I think.
Any one have any advice? I think I have a Boost-a-pump too. I have no idea how it works though.
Just keepin' it alive.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:55 AM
Big350
Freshman User
Check the KB website regarding maintenance. Oil needs to be changed periodically and hit it with grease if it has grease fittings. Oil and grease must be top quality synthetic. The Bap increases voltage to the fuel pump(s) under boost to increase fuel pressure.
My KB SC works great. I'm converting to mass air in the next few weeks and hope to optimize the tune.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:38 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
Wow I haven't been on here in a while. Hey Big350- how are you liking that KB ? Did you finally get you mass air conversion? ... I have not. I am ashamed mine is still sitting in a box, next to the vortech supercharger I purchased..... Still using mine for a daily work truck and have a hard time finding time to work on it... Seems like I'm always fixing everyone else's stuff. I think the biggest improvement I have made to my 460 lately was installing a power master starter.... Wow what a difference, would recommend it to anyone who owns an engine. Would like to hear when you get some dyno and boost #s from that kennebell...and Bikeymikey- glad to hear somebody else has possession of one of these holy grails of the ford 7.5 EFI world haha....

Old 03-04-2016, 09:38 PM
Big350
Freshman User
Deerediesel, Yeah it has been awhile. I could have written your post. My mass air kit is still sitting in my office. Last fall, I installed the additional O2 bungs in the exhaust and the mass air module in the intake. Other projects took precedence and winter set in so I didn't finish. Once again, I think I'll get it installed in the next few weeks...we'll see. My truck is also a daily driver so I can't have it down for too long.
The KB SC completely changed how my truck drives. I have about 10K miles on the SC now. The boost comes on right off idle and get up to 8lbs max depending an the temperature outside. I'm using a very small 1-3/4" SC pulley so I never run the engine more than 4500 rpm or I'll over spin the SC. Frankly, I hardly ever spin the engine more than 3000 rpm even when towing. I often pull a 3500# boat and have a similar weight slide-in truck camper. Last fall I took a 800 mile trip with both the camper and boat, 4 people, gear, food, extra gas and etc, the truck did great even going over mountain passes. On the highway with the boat and camper, I can usually run right at 70 mph, 5th gear, 2500 rpm, at about 2-3 lbs of boost. I also have a Banks powerpack kit which I installed before the SC. It was a nice improvement but nothing like the night and day difference with the KB SC. Several years ago my cooling fan clutch failed and I went to a dual electric fan setup. This was one of my first mods. Surprisingly, I think the truck felt snappier around town and it was definitely quieter.
My clutch throw-out bearing just started to make a little noise once and a while. After I do the mass air conversion, it will be time to do the clutch. I guess 170K miles on the factory clutch isn't too bad.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:40 PM
conrod
Junior User
Would someone post a pic or two of their KB SC setup on here please? Does this bolt on top of the original inlet manifold with an adaptor, or is it a completely new manifold? Intercooling? I know these are as rare as rocking horse poo, but I would like to try to find one for my E350 motorhome. It only has 36K miles on it, and I am going to use it to tow my race car. As you can see from the link below, it does not have a ton of power! I have a Thorley header kit which I am going to install, and fuelling is very lean on WOT, so certainly some gains to be made straight away. But I think I will still be looking for a blower. I don't want a centrifugal, although it is an easier installation the boost curve that these make is not suitable for my needs. I am not even sure if one of these KB's will fit on a van, as you guys who have them all seem to have pickups.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15698226

Old 04-18-2016, 02:03 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is not my picture. I saw this ebay auction and should have bought it but I had sold my 460 at the time. hell, I still should have bought it. Lucky owner!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-18-2016, 02:14 PM
conrod
Junior User
Cool, thanks for posting! Looks like quite a tall setup. I was looking at my engine wondering if the accessory belt that drives the A/C could be extended with a couple of idlers to drive a blower, looks like they did just that. It is only a 7PK belt from memory, and most blowers are running wider belts now, but if there is enough wrap it should be okay. Air intake pipes aren't the most elegant solution, but I guess that would work. Why do you think they run the big plenum behined the throttles ?

Would be great if someone would post a pic or two from the installation manual showing an exploded view?

Old 04-18-2016, 10:28 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All of those KB's have the inlet in the rear. They are universal fit for many vehicles. Sucks in the back, and blows downwards. The 6rib belt is def a limiting factor for high boost but if your under 8psi it's usually not a problem. You can also go with a bigger crank pulley instead of smaller blower pulley. Yeah those intake pipes are worthless, that blower needs 4" unrestricted cold air intake to take full advantage of potential.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:28 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
Hey big 350 thanks for the reply... Glad to hear it's working out good, my vortech I bought is still laying on the shelf, next to the mass air kit haha ! I work on everybody else's stuff but mine..hopefully one day you can port the heads and install bigger valves. I am curious as to how your banks kits helped- I'm sure you've read my previous post from years back..on mine, opening up the exhaust behind the Y pipe was huge improvement . Swapping the factory manifolds for the banks tri Y headers was a bit of a disappointment, I gained a little midrange after 2600 rpm and it was noticeable up top around 3500-4000, but completely cuts its ***** off at the bottom. I have contemplated going back to the manifolds for years but I know they take my top end away. My truck was a tire smoker off idle with the manifolds on ther. I called banks numerous times over the years but really couldn't get any answers since I didn't have a 7.3... I have been told by several people to try the L&L long tube headers, that I should get my low end torque back.. I just wish I knewfor sure before dropping the cash on them ...
..Conrod, check out my profile , I'm pretty sure I still have some pics posted of the KB install manual I bought..
Ceetwarrior, I still have those same pics from the eBay auction saves on my pic, that's the blower big350 bought.... I wasn't fast enough with the the mouse lost out dang it!!

Old 05-06-2016, 04:15 PM
Big350
Freshman User
Yes, that is a pic from the eBay listing. Here is a link to the photos I posted here after I got it installed. It sat in my garage quite a while before I finally got around to it.
Kenne Bell 460 Supercharger by Big350 | Ford-Trucks.com

ceetwarrior,
If you look at the 3rd pic in the link, I'm actually using a 4" cone air filter that Y's into the flex tubes on the driver's side. It's a fiberglass case that attaches to the factory cold air intake. It's actually pretty slick. I believe this was an option on the KB kit. It is a direct replacement for the factory air cleaner box.

deerediesel,
I would say would say the Banks kit helped throughout the RPM range for me but it was not huge. My exhaust manifolds were warped so I had to do something. If I remember correctly, Banks had the only headers that fit my 1996 Crew Cab, F350, dually, 7.5, 4WD with a Dana 60, 5 speed.

Surprisingly, I got my MAF kit installed. Had a few problems but got most straightened out. My son is the tuner and is using a Moates Quarterhorse, binary editor, wideband, and data logging. We current have a problem with the data logger so we are on hold to put the final touches on the tune. It is running pretty good when warmed up and in closed loop.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:20 PM
conrod
Junior User
I found this little pic in the book "Supercharged" by Corky Bell. There is no other information about this engine in the book as far as I can see. The blurb reads " A 535hp 460 motor from a Ford motor home with a Kenne Bell Supercharger" - yeah right! Must have magic things and witchcraft to make that sort of power

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell S/C for 460?