1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What other Jag parts (if any) can be used and should I use the IRS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 06:24 AM
rugbprop
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What other Jag parts (if any) can be used and should I use the IRS?

Finally bought an '86 Jag for parts. Car needs work and is actually a daily driver but I got it relatively cheap (California cheap) and I am definitely going to put the IFS in the '53. I was wondering since I have the whole car, what other parts (other than the IRS - more about this later) can I use from the Jag before it either get dismantled (by me and ebay) or the closest "pick-a-part" salvage yard?
Now about the IRS, I have been reading in the forum about using the IRS from a Jag in Ford trucks. My buddy who is/was going to help me in the installation is argueing with me about not using the JAG IRS in the truck and sticking with the stock rear, I guess it is a 9" - don't know for sure. But this proves for me to be very disturbing for a number of reasons, 1) he has built many, many nice cars for a long time and has probably forgot more about this stuff than I ever will know and I respect that immensely, 2) I have known him for approx. 2 years and we get along real well, 3) he is one of those, "having a bad day" people and you need to stay clear to avoid confrontation (and he has these days much too many times to be a man - "just my editorial"). I know this is truly off topic but I think it is important to understand my dilema. I don't really know if he is telling me this because it is in my best interest or he sees a possible Jag rearend in his future for next to nothing. He has accumulated a lot of parts for doing things for other people and he has talked about this extensively ever since I've known him. So this is the edge of the mountain I am facing, if I stick to my guns and decide on the Jag rearend I face the possibility of having to do the entire job myself (which will entail a HUGE but possible learning curve) something that seems large but I will tackle because it's my truck. Take note that I still have the Lincoln Mark VII rearend and the 71 Torino rearend also.
So to sum up, What additional parts can/should I use from the Jag and should I "jump off the cliff" and install the Jag IRS?

Thanks for going thru all of this with me, but you guys seem to empathise with people and I really have come to trust and believe in the opinions from the people in this forum. So give me your honest opinions and I'll make the decision.
Thanks!

Old 03-26-2007, 07:24 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
When you pull the IFS, make sure that you take the steering shaft between the column and the rack (to get the Z joint). As for the rear, I thought about the IRS but went the 9 inch route for ease of installation and the fact that I want to be able to tow 5000#. Installing the Jag IRS is not for the faint of heart. The IFS installation is a snap compared to the rear. Actually for ease of installation of a IRS, the thread using the Ford IRS I would find intriguing. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 03-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rugb - You pose an interesting problem in a couple of areas.

As to the technical merits of a Jag IRS, I have to go with Willard here for the same reason. I also plan to tow, and while the ride of an IRS is bound to be really nice for cruising, the straight axle and leaf springs offer a solid and easy to configure geometry.

Originally Posted by rugbprop
I was wondering, since I have the whole car, what other parts can I use from the Jag before it either gets dismantled.
I would think the seats, visors, mirror, console, among other inerior parts are great start toward a custom interior.

1) he has built many, many nice cars for a long time and has probably forgot more about this stuff than I ever will know and I respect that immensely, 2) I have known him for approx. 2 years and we get along real well, 3) he is one of those, "having a bad day" people and you need to stay clear to avoid confrontation.... I don't really know if he is telling me this because it is in my best interest or he sees a possible Jag rearend in his future for next to nothing.!
I didn't have much help (except for FTE!!!) and did most all of the work myself with no previous experience. Best time I've ever had. Very rewarding stuff. That said, having an "expert" to help would have been really great while I was in the deep end of the pool building my truck, but if the guy wouldn't salute my eventual choices, had "bad days" and (perhaps) an agenda, it's too much like being married to work well for long.

He has accumulated a lot of parts for doing things for other people and he has talked about this extensively ever since I've known him.
Just like every hot rod guy I know. It's possible that you are just too paranoid. Compliment his collection and offer him a beer.

Last edited by Randy Jack; 03-26-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:29 AM
RUSTY50F1
Posting Guru
I'm in the same boat as Randy I'm doing my truck by myself, with a little help (not much) from my 16yr old son. And a lot of help from FTE. I bought a 79 Jag. I plan at this time to use all. The IFS and IRS. Mainly because I don't plan on hauling anything very heavy and I want the comfort of the ride. As for your friend if it was his truck he would do what he wanted. I would do the same It is your truck build it as you would like it to be. If you don't you will always wonder what it would have felt like if you had. I'm no truck builder by no means but It's mine and I'm going to build it the way I want to be built. I'm going to jump in and get my feet wet all the way up to my ears. And with the help of the fellas on FTE one day I'll be CRUZZIN and very happy I did it my way. That's my $.02 worth for what it's worth. Good Luck with your truck. ..................RUSTY

Old 03-26-2007, 12:14 PM
brucewolff
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rugbprop,
Did you ask your expert way he would install a 9" vs. the Jag IRS? I would think the 9" would be an easier install and would be considered more for performance and it's strength than the Jag, however, you can't beat the looks of a chromed Jag IRS. I would go the 9" route and sell the Jag IRS if it were up to me. But you need to figure out what your priorities are.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:25 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Jag rear is going to be a LOT of work and fabrication for a slightly better ride than you would get with the 9 inch. Using a combination of fewer spring leaves or softer springs in the rear can improve the ride enough with the 9 inch to make the difference not worth the effort...keep the 9 inch and sell the Jag!

Old 03-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Lwlandy
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey rugbprop,
I am using a Jag IRS on my 56 F100. I will give my thoughts on why I chose to take this route and offer some advice for what it is worth, but I think it really depends on what you want to get out of your truck an what you plan to do with it.

Reasons for me to use:
1. Looks - It is a nice looking install.
2. Ride quality - IRS is always going to give a better ride than a live axle, how many modern cars run with a live axle (Other than off roaders/4x4s). Although it is possible to get a good ride with a live axle if it is set up correctly.
3. Rigid mounted Diff and Prop
4. No Panhard rod, so if like me you use air to raise or lower the truck, the wheels stay central in the fenders, rather than moving towards one side or the other as the truck goes up or down. This is especially useful if running tyres close to the fenders.

A Point to note though on using both the IFS and IRS setups.
The very nature of an independent suspension means that the frame needs to be very rigid. Otherwise the frame rails will move and cancel out the suspension somewhat. This means that you really need to box the frame. I chose to box from front to rear as I was doing both ends anyway.

I made a rigid frame to accept the Jag axle and then welded this in place in between the rails. I got quotes for making the frame up from local shops at the time and they wanted about $300. But this would really make the job easy. (or a lot easier than you would think). I got the drawing for the frame off of some guy on ebay for a few $.

If you want any more info there is quite a bit of detail on my site.

hope that helps, and good luck.

Lee

Old 03-26-2007, 08:54 PM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Jag IRS looks sweet under a classic truck as it can be seen in all it's glory. That is if the stock Jag "cage" has been removed. The 9" would be easier to install though. As stated earlier, the IFS wouldride better. The IFS would sell for at least $400 around here, so base your decisions on that.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:01 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

I installed an Explorer rear axle, with leaf springs. I was going to use a Jag irs, but after looking at my friends E type, reading his shop manuals, and taking note of the complication of those rear ends, I chickened out. The IFS seems pretty bullet proof, however. AFA the rest of the car, except for random bits, it's probably not worth much. Don't let any of the electrical parts touch anything else you own, it probably spreads on contact. Wash afterward.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:07 AM
rugbprop
Freshman User
Is the stock rearend a 9 inch? That's the rear end he wants me to use (the one in the truck already).
Thanks for the help, I'm leaning towards the Lincoln Mark VII LSD rearend.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:58 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by rhopper
Don't let any of the electrical parts touch anything else you own, it probably spreads on contact. Wash afterward.
Good sound advice! It all has to do with why the Brits drink their beer warm and Lucas IS the prince of darkness!

Old 03-27-2007, 01:51 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The Smith gauges are nice, plus the switches and stuff check out the interior trim pieces rearview mirror, door handles, lock buttons, drink holders etc. for application.

Personally I would without a doubt put in the IRS as well. If I come across a donor, the 9" will come out of my truck in a heartbeat! It's not significantly more difficult an install from the front if you use the original cage. It's not as fancy as seeing all the bits and pieces whirring around in an uncaged unit, but quite servicable. If you want to uncage it, there are companies providing all the open links and "trim to fit" crossmember kits. Don't go 1/2 way when you already have what you need at hand, you'll never be sorry you did it, but you may be sorry if you didn't.