2001 starts, runs, then shuts off??? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Reload this Page >

2001 starts, runs, then shuts off???

Notices
Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Old 03-24-2007, 11:43 PM
jelmore85
Freshman User
jelmore85 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.

First of all I'd like to say hello since I am new to this site as of tonight. But, it's not on good terms. Last year I purchased a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2 V6 3.0L 48,000 miles, in perfect shape. I haven't had any problems until the last 6 months I have noticed the check engine light was on. Ok, while at Valvoline, the checked it and said it was a EGR code and that it might have been just an O2 sensor problem, something minor. So they just shut it off. Well it popped back on and I just figured I'd leave it alone. Maybe a mistake.

6 months later...

So driving today the dang thing just quit and shut off? No warning, just everything shut off. It happened 3 more times...Then tonight, driving down the highway it shut off again, no warning? Happened 3 more times, couldn't make it home, called and had it towed to my apartment. $30 bucks later, at least my truck is at home. So the problem is it won't stay running, and it just shuts off all of a sudden? It starts fine, drives fine, but unbeknownst to me it will just shut off, 1 minute later, 5 minutes later, it doesn't keep a pattern...It could be a million things I guess, but I'm not really able to pin point any exact locations. It's not making any funny noises, nothing fishy, but won't stay running. It's doesn't seem to be hurting for gas, it has 1/2 tank, no gurgling noise...

It's Saturday night and my Girlfriend's and I only transportation....So we have no vehicle until we can get this fixed, given that sunday no one will be open...we're playing it by ear. I appreciate all help with this matter, honestly. Thankyou for you help.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:25 AM
caseys
Posting Guru
caseys has a good reputation on FTE.caseys has a good reputation on FTE.
I am just a backyard mechanic but thought I would at least toss something at you to think about.... maybe, what about the fuel filter (clogged) or the fuel pump (not providing enough pressure).

Old 03-25-2007, 08:50 AM
fflintstone
Elder User
fflintstone is starting off with a positive reputation.
Welcome to FTE jelmore . Most people wind up here under similar situations.
Does she(the truck I mean) stay running while idling and not running down the road? She runs just as good as when you bought it? The EGR problem won't cause that problem, but you can address in later, it's usually an easy fix and only really only relates to emissions and maybe poor idling. Don't worry about the O2 sensor yet. Sounds like a guess to me.

There's a safety system on these trucks that causes the entire thing to shut down(fuel pump, ignition) in case of a collision or rollover. Some people call it a rollover switch . I'm not sure, but I beleive it's located behind the glove box on the firewall inside the cab. It's just a magnetic switch that uses a magnet and a ball/bar to complete the circuit. In a collision, the ball/bar fly's off the connection and breaks the circuit. Apparantly, it can malfunction to the point where a bump in the road can set it off and 'bing', the truck stops running for no apparent reason and does it with no pattern.

It's sunday morning, so some of the other guys will chime in hopefully soon. You can do a thread search for rollover switch.

Hopefully this helps. Can't think of any other condition that could cause this other than a bad ignition switch or a bad main power connection to the computer. Check as many connections under the hood as you can find.

Good luck
Fred

Old 03-25-2007, 10:53 AM
jelmore85
Freshman User
Well going down the road, or parked in park. Auto transmission. I tried both, so no bumps caused the switch to malfunction, it just does it on it's own, thats why I am thinking some kind of computer mess up. I'm not up to date with all the computer connectios but I can check certain minor things out.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:11 AM
fflintstone
Elder User
Yeah, that switch would need a jarring of some sort to get it to go. Try pushing on all the fuses in the fuse panel to see if a critical one may have backed out.

About that rollover switch, it's actually called an inertia switch and it's located behind the passenger side kick panel. When it's activated, it cuts power to the fuel pump. There's a button on the top that's depressed to reset it, so once it's activated, you have no fuel at all. So it's not the problem since your truck starts back up.

There's a power distribution box under the hood and a fuel pump relay that may be the cause. When the truck dies, can you still hear the fuel pump? You can hear it when you turn the key on without starting the engine.

Good luck
Fred

Old 03-25-2007, 02:59 PM
jelmore85
Freshman User
No, everything shuts off completely. It's eerie quiet, the radio does stay on and so do the lights. I drove it today and checked it, did the same darn thing. All the check engine/gauges lights come on and blink right when it shuts down, and everything goes out. The more you mention fuel the more I begin to realize that I don't hear anything when that happens. Everything just completely shuts down...Had to break out the ole ten speed to go get a coffee and a paper this morning...disgruntled.

I'll check the fuses, but would that cause me to immediately shut down...but be able to start right back up again>

Old 04-13-2007, 11:50 PM
jelmore85
Freshman User
Solved:

1) Crank Shaft Sensor
+
2) Dfpe Sensor (egr)
=
SHUT OFF, lol

It was a cocktail, got the crank shaft sensor replaced and it wouldn't do it as often, but it did do it occassionally, changed the dfpe sensor and it has yet to do it!

Old 04-14-2007, 06:44 AM
fflintstone
Elder User
Good for you jelmore . And thanx for getting back with the solution. A resolved thread helps everybody out.

Hope you stick around

Fred

Old 04-14-2007, 11:12 AM
jelmore85
Freshman User
will do, however, my Ranger is not getting the Gas Mileage I was hoping in the begining, so I have two options, Get an F-150, no room currently, or I'd like to upgrade to the 6 cyl 4.0L 4x4? I hear the gas mileage doesn't differ much, I get around 18 with highway/city.

My truck stats are:
6 cyl 3.0L Auto
Extended Cab 4 door
2001 Ranger

I wish I could just swap it for a Manual 4.0L 4x4 same color, it's frost silver!

Old 04-14-2007, 11:30 AM
ford_racing_4_life
Senior User
ford_racing_4_life is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck is having the same problem you stated (sort of) I went to ohio on friday, came back friday night. (didnt take my truck). Then last night i went out to my truck to start it and it barely started. Then ran for a minute started to die, so i gave it some gas and it came back up to normal for a second and when i started pulling out of my driveway, it dies. Now it'll start everytime and run realllllyyyyyy rough for about 2 mintues. It sounds like its starving for gas. My first guess would be the fuel filter since i dont want to spend a lot of money. I have the special tool for it, but how do you get the pressure out of the lines. I cant find the inertia swith and if i pull my fuel pump relay, it keeps running like normal and will still start.... ideas???

Old 04-23-2016, 12:21 AM
XXGAMEXX
New User
XXGAMEXX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Going crazy with my father 3.0 97 ranger

Ok first of all been reading post very helpful now I'm new and I have a problem hope someone can help. Here's the story my father own a 97 ranger 3.0 auto not 4x4 he loves he's truck it was having problems so I flew in to help fix it. According to my father truck was running fine then it's started to malfunction symptoms 1 bad idle 2 shut off 3 no power 4 awfully gas mileage. Truck was a trade has a replace engine 3.0 now so far this is what I have put on it new spark plugs new coil pack crank sensor tps sensor mas flow sensor coolant sensor well every sensor under that hood I have replaced last one is the cam sync sensor I bought it but advanced auto gave me the wrong 1 so it's not installed , also mas flow sensor was from f150 truck adapted to it I bought original one here the problem truck runs with f150 and it's awfully with the original one from it it starts runs for a while then it start to act like is flooding then it will shut off have to wait maybe 30 minstrel then it will start again and run fine sometimes when I drive it it will just flood hit gas and shuts off and have to wait again. Thinking migth be the ecm or computer maybe it was switch when engine was swap but it ran fine before any suggestions on what I can look for and thanks for reading this mess of a post it's my first time

Old 04-23-2016, 10:08 AM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to FTE.
Were all the parts you replaced bad, or were you just replacing them & hoping for joy, if so, Stop throwing parts at the problem & take the time to properly trouble shoot, find the faulty part, Then replace that puppy.
Begin your trouble shoot with a computer trouble code scan, for set, or pending code clues & post up All code Numbers.
Consider borrowing, or coming by the inexpensive ELM scan tool running FORScan or the like software on the viewing device of your choice as discussed here, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-scantool.html & have it take an in depth look at what's going on with Dads Ranger.
If you don't have the time to do that, What's going missing when it shuts down, Spark, or Fuel????
Connect a fuel pressure gauge to the under hood engine fuel rail Schrader valve test port, to monitor fuel pressure & delivery rate, also connect your inductive timing light to any spark plug wire to also monitor spark & idle the engine until it cuts off, to see which is going missing.

A number of things can cause the problem, from something as simple as a gas cap not properly venting the fuel tank, (so loosen it & see if the engine will immediately restart) to computer, or fuel pump power relays, (try thumping them to wake em up, or swapping them out one at a time for a known good like relay, like the A/C power relay & see if it'll immediately restart), to loose, or corroded battery cable post connections, or faulty cable wire strand connections to the cable molded, or crimped on end connectors, (so try a cable or connection wiggle/thump test to see if you can induce a stall, or make it immediately wake up & run after the stall, to....well you get the idea, so maybe the scan tool, or these quick tests will find some good trouble code clues to help focus the trouble shoot.
A bunch more thoughts for consideration, let us know what you do & find.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:38 AM
XXGAMEXX
New User
XXGAMEXX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks paw paw
For ur reply some of them sensors was replaced couse scan tool the truck ran worst now I actually get to drive it for a while before it shuts off truck has spark it has gas it just cranks but wont go untill i have to wait for like half hour then it will run again but will defenetly check everything u told me and thank u for ur time I will get back to u

Old 04-23-2016, 11:34 AM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Since it runs for about 1/2 hour before shutting down, the time frame fits with an acting out gas cap not properly venting the fuel tank. It takes about that long for the fuel pump to remove enough to feed the engine & pull a vacuum on the tank that it can't over come, because the cap isn't venting to equalize pressure. So again, to quickly check, when it stalls next time, jump out & remove the gas cap to equalize tank pressure, replace the cap & see if it'll immediately restart, without having to wait. If it does restart without delay, move the gas cap high up on your suspect list.
Maybe to further confirm its the cap, leave it loosened but not removed & drive around & see if the stalls cease, if they do, replace the gas cap with an OEM Motorcraft, as its calibrated for our vapor recovery system. Note that driving around with the gas cap loose will aggravate the computer to turn the CEL on & set a loose gas cap trouble code. Use the scan tool to erase the code, or disconnect the battery B- cable for 5min with a door open to completely discharge things, then close the door, clean the battery post & cable clamp, reconnect & properly tighten the battery cable.
If you've already scanned the computer, post All pending, or set trouble code clue Numbers found.
Keep us posted on your troubleshoot.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:59 PM
pawpaw
Well XXGAMEXX how is your trouble shoot going, curious minds would like to know???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 starts, runs, then shuts off???

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.