6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Safety Recall on 6.4L

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 10:40 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Only 8000 trucks have been delivered with the 6.4l?
WOW - I thought there might have been more of them delivered...

Good stuff Keith

Old 03-22-2007, 10:42 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GO FORD POWER STROKE!!!

I think the statement of the day might be:

"Here we go again"

Come on Ford get your head outta your a@* Flames out the tail pipe

Hate to say this but, Cat or Cummins in a Ford like right now!!

If this 6.4 turns out to be a DUD my 2004 Ex 6.0 will be the last Ford diesel I buy until they switch diesel engine companies!!!

Last edited by scottman70; 03-22-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:11 AM
dapgar
Senior User
i don't get it either. it's possibly a mixup with the computer programming because if they tested them for as long as they say they did, then these types of issues shouldn't come up. i almost feel bad for ford. why can't they catch a break.

working or not. the 6.4 and the rest of it are going to be a mechanics nightmare. imagine having to fix these things after warranty?
i don't even want my 6.0 after warranty. you can barely see the motor anymore. they might have made more room in the cab but people aren't going to want to keep them long term becaause you gotta pull the damn cab off to do any REAL work.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:07 AM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Yeah I have a warranty that will last 3 1/2 more years and up to 100,000 miles and then it's bye bye Ford Excursion 6.0. THere is NO way I will keep this thing after the warranty is up! Hello chev or dodge unless Ford puts out a true inline 6 or V-8 diesel engine with some simplicity and power all in one simplistic tried and true and tested package, THAT WORKS consistently without all of the updates and tsb's and on and on. I am not a fan of Dodge but at least I could drive my older Cummins without 1 engine issue ever! Ford does Millions of miles of testing and they did not figure that out? Well it's no wonder Ford is hurting financially, it's gonna hurt even more if they put out 2 problematic diesel motors in a row, they aint seen nothing yet.

All of you that are buying the 6.4 in it's 1st year just remeber the early 6.0 motors and the problems they had with those in 2003 and 2004. I think I would wait until that 6.4 has been in the consumers hands for at least 2 years!!

Old 03-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Enomra
Elder User
Important information on the 6.4

FTE Staff Edit: Please follow the guidelines and do not post copyrighted content you do not have rights to or permission to post. Link to it instead.

I thought that this was some very important information for all those 6.4 owners out there. I would hate to loose power and have to pull over to the side of the road. This is getting absurd!!!!!!!

Last edited by FTE Ken; 03-24-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:07 AM
toddr
Junior User
and this is FORDs solution , I am suposed to get my F450 next week and am having second thoughts. What a joke ! why dont they find the casuse of the problem and not just bandaide the fix ?

Old 03-23-2007, 11:13 AM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"" In describing driver awareness and action during a 'powering down' scenario, Jarvis said the following, "(The driver) will see a message on their instrument cluster that they need to pull over to the side of the road. Within five to ten seconds, the engine will begin to lose forward power and the driver will need to pull off and stop to wait until the DPF has cooled down . ""

Ya Baby, right, 5 to 10 seconds with 20,000 lbs $100,00 of horses behind in the trailer...2 or 3 times of that and it's Cummins Ram Power time

Old 03-23-2007, 11:30 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Oh boy, this is gonna leave a nasty mark.

It seems to me that most folks will not buy a truck that is programmed to power down. 20K #s in the Rockies with 10 or so seconds to pull over to the shoulder? Not a scenario that is likely to produce an incentive to buy.

In addition, it would be my guess that this is a band-aid fix which will require yet another dealer visit once Ford comes up with a real world resolution.

Man, Ford management has got to be reeling from the potential implications / impact to sales and reputation for this one. I didn't watch Leno last night but, looks like his type of material to chase after.

For GM & Dodge this could be a marketing / sales Lotto. I would certainly use it to my advantage against any competitor. Unless they anticipate having the same issues.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:32 AM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Man I am telling you, I would cancel my order for one of these new Fords like right now. If you like hanging out at the dealer and beeing frustrated buy a new F-series!! I think it's a huge risk spending those type of dollars on a supposed proven 6.4??

Old 03-23-2007, 11:35 AM
thelogster
Junior User
Originally Posted by toddr
and this is FORDs solution , I am suposed to get my F450 next week and am having second thoughts. What a joke ! why dont they find the casuse of the problem and not just bandaide the fix ?
The reflash is NOT the fix. The reflash enables the system to recognize when too much fuel is being accumulated, go in to a power-down mode to prevent the flames out the tailpipe. You would still need to take 'er back to the dealer to correct the cause of the additional fuel.

With all the 08 owners posting, this has not been an issue. looks to me like Ford is adding a safeguard (probably to CYA from starting fires) for owners. The only time the powerdown occurs is if there is another problem - which we have not heard folks reporting.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:38 AM
PA 6.0 STROKER
Junior User
I drive truck and the International tractor I drive has a CUMMINS in it. What does that tell you about International's feelings on their engine department. "They won't even put their engines in their trucks ! ! ! Some one said earlier they are starting to lose faith. I think he means when is ford going to bring back the 7.3 or one with its dependability.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:20 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The fuel lines are one time use lines. When they are installed, the fitting crushes to a specific shape. If there was improper installation, there can be leaks. With only 3 vehicles (from what I was told) that have this problem, this recall is pretty smart! For those that think this is just a patch, how would you suggest they fix it?

Old 03-23-2007, 12:34 PM
firehawk198
Elder User
My 450 was being built this week, is it too late to have them put in the V10 with 4.88's that could probably still haul close to 18,000# Kind of kicking my butt now. My 99 V10 has been trouble free. I believed Ford had learned their lesson on the 6.0 and tested the 6.4 enough

Old 03-23-2007, 12:43 PM
dapgar
Senior User
yeah, i wouldn't want to be in traffic with a trailer or even without one, and have 5-10 seconds to pull over. what if you are in the fast lane and there are two lanes to your right and you can't get over. imagine what kind of accidents that will cause.

i can't even believe i'm reading about these problems. i just don't get how all that testing they did on these trucks didn't produce this problem, somehow it gets released into the public and now it start happening? i don't get how it can just be leaking unburned fuel into the exhaust. probably has to do with the EPA related crap they had to put on to please all the tree huggers.

what a freakin joke this is. when i first heard about the 6.4. iw anted one badly, but then this past summer. i needed a new truck for business reasons and so i sprung for my 06. boy am I glad I did.

ford and navistar DESERVE everything that comes their way. millions of miles testing is BS in my book. now the truck has been out a month or two and these issues are coming out now? this is their nail int he coffin of ford. i hate to be a nay sayer but this is just crazy!

i feel bad for anyone shelling out 60k or more for one of these pieces of crap.

Last edited by dapgar; 03-23-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Enomra
Elder User
I hear and understand all the negative feedback but lets just hope this is a few very Isolated cases and this is a worst case scenario. Ford is wise to take all precautions possible to keep from injuring anyone. I can't believe that the other two manufactures have a product that is any better than Ford's we have just not yet heard of anything from them yet.

Quick Reply: Safety Recall on 6.4L