New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

Failed NYS inspection w/O2 sensor monitors - here's how to PASS IT!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 11:33 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Failed NYS inspection w/O2 sensor monitors - here's how to PASS IT!

I had my '01 V10 inspected the other day with the "new" setup where they hook up to the OBD-II port.

The inspector (garage mechanic) entered "F250 SUPER DUTY" and it came up with the O2 sensor and O2 sensor heater test not completed. Usual thing, it appears.

My '01 SD is registered as a passenger vehicle because it has(had) a cap/topper on it, and that's legally the requirement in NY for passenger plates. Weight on the reg is 5600 lbs, because that's the shipping weight on the title, even though the GVWR is 8800 lbs. The inspection equipment came up with "less than 8500 lbs".

He called some consortium, which in turn gave him the # for Albany. They told him they had fixed the software, and to just enter "F250" as the vehicle type. That cured it, it passed immediately.

So, anyone having this problem, tell the guy doing the inspection to type in just plain "F250" in NYS.

art k.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:02 PM
jasonschwenk
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
real trucks don't have 02 sensors!!!!

(great tip though)

Old 01-11-2006, 08:36 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by jasonschwenk
real trucks don't have 02 sensors!!!!

(great tip though)
Yeah, but you gotta disconnect the EGR to get them to run right

Old 01-12-2006, 05:04 PM
jasonschwenk
Elder User
just a minor modification!

Old 01-12-2006, 10:52 PM
fast frank 66
Senior User
for passenger plates in NY, it has to be less than 5500 lbs on the title/reg and you do not have to have a cap

Old 01-13-2006, 10:38 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by fast frank 66
for passenger plates in NY, it has to be less than 5500 lbs on the title/reg and you do not have to have a cap
BZZZTTT! Wrong answer.

It's 5000 lbs or less, you can get passenger plates.

Over 5000lbs unladen weight, you NEED a cap/topper to get passenger plates.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:04 AM
79 Trailer Special
Elder User

I have been looking into this myself for my 250, heres what I found on DMV's website......
Pick-up Trucks (Part 106.6 (c)). You can register a pick-up truck in the passenger class if the pick-up truck complies with all of these requirements:

• The unladen weight of the pick-up truck is 5,500 lbs. or less.
  • The pick-up truck is used for non-commercial purposes.
  • The pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements.
  • A permanent camper top completely encloses the truck bed, and which has one or more side windows.
  • The pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or permanent camping equipment that are installed in the truck bed. "Camping equipment" indicates that you have a permanent bed, a permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator in the vehicle. If this equipment is removed and you use the pick-up truck, you must register the pick-up truck as a commercial vehicle.
They seem to contradict themselves here....
What pick-up trucks qualify for passenger class plates?

A pick up truck that is not changed and has an open bed can qualify for passenger class plates if the truck:

• is used only for non-commercial purposes, and
  • has an unladen weight of 5,500 lbs. or less (the unladen weight of your pick-up truck is listed on the title certificate and on the door sticker), and
  • does not have any business advertisements on the truck.

heres a link to more info from DMV.....
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm#pickup

Last edited by 79 Trailer Special; 01-27-2006 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:37 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 846 Likes on 765 Posts
I registered my 86 F250 with pass plates, had it weighed with tailgate off, no spare and empty tanks, then installed my "permanently attached" cap. DMV also asked if I had "seats in the back" being a SC it did. This was from item 14 DMV. I got tired of seeing trucks and vans using the parkways of LI with ladder racks, business signs, no cap etc. This was back in 1992, since then the requirements have changed a little, renewed my truck last year (reverted back to commercial status after moving my parents off LI) was asked if I wanted pass plates. Strange thing is my title says "suberban".

Old 02-25-2006, 07:00 AM
Paddy Whacker
Senior User
For my '02 F250CC, I went to the DMV in NYC twice. The first time the lady said she couldn't help me, the second time a nice old man knew what I was trying to do, so he changed the weight to 5200 lbs. Title now is clear for passenger plates. No cap, and so far no problems driving on the parkways. I saw a few dually with no cap and passenger plates on the parkways.

Old 02-25-2006, 09:06 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Watch out! Going on the parkways with an F250 with no cap WILL get you pulled over eventually!

The troopers know what the empty weight of an F250 is, and they know it doesn't qualify for passenger plates without a cap.

A few dealers here on the Island were giving out passenger plates without a cap on the truck, and got FINED for doing it.

The DRW's are absolutely, positively, breaking the law.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Paddy Whacker
Senior User
Yeah, I know about the dealers getting fined for put passenger plates on them. I literally live off the Meadowbrook, and use the Southern and Northern Parkways a lot. I've been lucky so far, but I got to tell you the sight of F250's, and 2500 Chevy's and Dodge's are common. I think (or hope) that 75% of the state troopers realize the law is out-dated, since most of the larger SUV's weigh just as much and are allowed to go on the parkways. I mean, what's the difference between a H2 pick-up or a Caddy Escalade, and my short box? Knowing my luck, the other 25% of the troopers will eventually find me!

Old 04-22-2006, 07:19 AM
somewherre
New User
Why are passenger plates seemingly more desirable than commercial? Is it just that some highways won't allow comm plates, or are there other issues as well?

Old 04-22-2006, 08:11 AM
jasonschwenk
Elder User
that is a big one!! sometimes trying to get off LI without going down the belt is miserable. Also insurance is cheaper for commercial but don't get a ticket with comerical plates it will cost you at least double.

Old 04-22-2006, 11:16 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by somewherre
Why are passenger plates seemingly more desirable than commercial? Is it just that some highways won't allow comm plates, or are there other issues as well?
I try not to use the parkways even with passenger plates, just because of the sheer size of the Superduty.

why do I have them?

Lindenhurst Village, Code Enforcement letter arrived one day, pertaining to my '74 highboy:

"Storage of commercial vehicles on residential property is prohibited" - from the Village Code.

Which means, I can't park my commercial-plated highboy (now gone mostly because of the Village!) in the yard, but my Superduty with passenger plates? Can't do a darn thing!

It's also about registration costs. Compare a commercial plate registration at 8800lbs to a passenger plate registration at 5600lbs (weight on title).

Old 04-22-2006, 03:37 PM
somewherre
New User
Huh. That's a bummer about the parking restriction. Just based on what I see driving around, that's not an issue around my neck of the woods in Albany. I just got my truck and chose commercial plates for no particular reason. The only highway I know of that doesn't allow comm plates is the Taconic...and to be honest, I'm be glad for the excuse not to drive on it. Curious to know how plate type affects insurance cost as you have to be insured before you can get your plates. I'm not too worried about getting tickets...true to what I've read about the I6-300, it's not the zippiest of engines - I think I'd be tickled to get it up fast enough to get pulled over *LOL*

Quick Reply: Failed NYS inspection w/O2 sensor monitors - here's how to PASS IT!