Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Poor Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 12:01 PM
SNIPER168308
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Poor Fuel Economy

I just posted this question on the other forum, thought I'd do it here since this is specific to 7.3 PSD...

Even though 7.3's have hyd lifters, are the rockers adjustable? (getting a little more noise on the top of engine)(not sure if it's rockers or noisy injectors)
I know from racing (gas) Ford Big Blocks, you can have hyd lifters and still adjust them due to wear, which greatly effects performance.

Does anyone has any suggestions on how to regain MPG?

Old 03-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You shouldn't have to dive under the valve covers for anything but replacing glow plugs. Other than that, if you are having running issues and poor mileage, then it's time to start looking for potential problems.

Additional knock usually indicates poor fuel quality, excessive air in the fuel system, or low fuel pressure. Try some fuel additives first as the cheapest method to see if that improves the noise, or if you have access to bio-diesel, run a few tanks of it (and replace your fuel filter after 3-4 tanks). If it's still knocking, check the fuel pressure. You can tap in a gauge to the back of the fuel bowl by removing the plug near the bottom.

Also listen to see if the knocking gets worse when your fuel gauge is below 1/4 tank. That indicates you are sucking up air, and need to peform the pre-pump and hutch mods.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:06 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
[QUOTE=Pocket]You shouldn't have to dive under the valve covers for anything but replacing glow plugs.

Alot of people on here have had problems with their 9 pin UVC connector coming loose, including me.. The driver side was really loose and giving me a engine miss, fault codes and SES light.. The pass. side was about the same but still making connection barely..The only thing really holding the connector together was the wires. A real bad design..

Old 03-15-2007, 03:58 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that a common problem on 2002's? I hope soon I can get my gauges installed and have it run on a dyno to make sure everything is in limits and working to manufactures specs.