Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Aftermarket Products
Reload this Page >

Aftermarket cruise control?

Notices

Old 03-14-2007, 08:41 PM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Postmaster
BigBlueMacDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigBlueMacDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigBlueMacDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigBlueMacDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigBlueMacDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigBlueMacDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigBlueMacDaddy is a splendid one to behold

What is involved in adding an aftermarket cruise control to a 2007 4.2L F150 Xl ? I miss my cruise..........

Old 03-14-2007, 10:10 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
Check with rostra, they have several nice kits and occasionally a bolt-on. You will most likely have to tap the VSS and install a cruise servo with some linkage.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:58 AM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Postmaster
BigBlueMacDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigBlueMacDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigBlueMacDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigBlueMacDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigBlueMacDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigBlueMacDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigBlueMacDaddy is a splendid one to behold
Tech Question, enabling cruise?

I did contact Rostra, and they directed me to a retailer. It should cost about $200.00 from them, or $450.00 if I got a shop to do it. Yeah Right! I see that I can buy just the switches for the original wheel for $163.00, but I have to get ford to enable the system. I guess this means program the computer to control the fuel injection? It is "drive-by-wire". So, my question is, do I have to go to Ford to do this, or can I do it?

Old 03-21-2007, 11:10 AM
rsylvstr
Postmaster
rsylvstr has a great reputation on FTE.rsylvstr has a great reputation on FTE.rsylvstr has a great reputation on FTE.rsylvstr has a great reputation on FTE.rsylvstr has a great reputation on FTE.
JC Whitney has a more expensive kit, $299, but there's no vacuum to hook up, nada. just bolt in.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:30 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
You would also need the cruise servo, ask around for the audiovox cruise kit with the VSS hook up.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:41 PM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Postmaster
My truck was built in December, and is a drive by wire. Parts through the local ford dealer are $231.14, and labor is $160.00. The kit through rostra includes a servo to "pull" the accelerator down, and mounts under the hood. If Ford puts theirs in, it is guaranteed 12,000, or 12 months, hardly worth it, except that it is guaranteed to work for that long. I was wondereing how hard it is to remove the airbag, and install it safely, as the swithes ford use, make it a ford unit......Maybe I should just go for the Ford unit, but I don't like to waste anything, 'specially my money!

Old 03-22-2007, 11:45 AM
screwy
Posting Guru
screwy has a good reputation on FTE.screwy has a good reputation on FTE.
Iíd go with the ford parts. It might be such that all you have to do is add the switches and go. These new systems have done away with the throttle cable as you already know so servo based aftermarket systems are useless. There is no separate dedicated control module for the cruise, itís all been integrated into the PCM. Since the PCM already controls the throttle, and basically everything else, itís just a matter of some control buttons. You might try to get the parts and do it yourself, try to pump the dealer for info. The computer may already be programmed for cruise and the wiring might already be in place, so all you would have to do is plug some switches in, which requires the removal of the airbag. Junk yard is an option, and if all works you might get cruise for a few bucks, but donít forget the deactivation switch that looks to be mounted high up on the brake pedal.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:31 PM
rsylvstr
Postmaster
rsylvstr has a great reputation on FTE.rsylvstr has a great reputation on FTE.rsylvstr has a great reputation on FTE.rsylvstr has a great reputation on FTE.rsylvstr has a great reputation on FTE.
I agree, go the Ford route.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:55 PM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Postmaster
I never realized that I forgot to finalize this post. I ended up going to my local dealers, and getting price quotes for a new steering wheel, prices were between $165, and $231. Installation was going to be $160 to $185. I even had two dealers tell me that it couldn't be done according to their resources! I called FORD Customer Service, and was told that it absolutely COULD be done. I then ordered JUST the switches, $65, and had them installed by a local Ford dealer, and the computer re-shot, total came to $190, including state tax. $225 option for $190. I guess the moral is, shop, and find out what is real, the parts guys only know what is in the book, so do your research. The high-fives go to this group though. Most of the info I got, came right from this site........Thanks FTE..... And one thing further, IT IS ALL FORD!

Last edited by BigBlueMacDaddy; 11-01-2007 at 07:58 PM.