General Automotive Discussion

another truck meets a tragic, violent end.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 07:49 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,099 Likes on 2,161 Posts
another truck meets a tragic, violent end.

i know this is not about a ford, but due to the abuse it lived through, it deserves a proper mention.
in 1988, 4 of us bought new trucks. 3 fords, and 1 Chevy. for many years, we busted billy's chops about the Chevy, but it still plodded along. till 2:15 am, Friday, march 9'th 2007. 2 days short of it's 19'th birthday, and with 327,251.6 miles on it.

the truck was parked at the curb in front of his father in laws house, where they had stayed the night, so his brother in law could get out of the driveway to go to work at 4 am without moving the truck.
a BMW Z3 came down the road, and missed the turn, slamming into the back of the truck, hitting it in the driver side rear tire. it lifted the rear of the truck, and pushed the truck 100 ft down the curb into s telephone pole, snapping the pole, then spun the truck around in the street, with the front end on the sidewalk, the rear of the truck sitting on the frame on the center line, and the rear rear hitting the house, rite under the window where his 15 year old daughter was sleeping.
the BMW spun down the road for another 300 ft. the driver fired it back up, and took off. the police followed the card liquid trail for 3 miles before it went dry. another Town was notified, and the car was located 6 miles away after an officer on routine patrol saw a drunk staggering through a parking lot. when he got closer, the guys face was bloody, and he found what was left of the car. 6 miles with no passenger front tire.
the impact was so severe, it split the brand new trans and transfer case in half, and bent the frame. the impact from the rear of the engine put the fan through the radiator.

during the investigation, a street sweeper doing a parking lot 1/2 mile down the road stopped at the accident scene, and informed the police he saw the BMW doing over 80 mph going south after the accident on 3 wheels.

yesterday morning, he got a call from the police. the BMW was 3 weeks old, and was only on the road for 3 days, cause it spent the first 3 weeks of its life in the shop being customized for road racing. $20,000 of addons.

and the best part,is that the drunk driving it had borrowed the car from the owner.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:05 AM
petes79f150
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A moment of silence please.........
What a bummer. Sounds like one of those guys you'd just like to take out behind the barn and give a good whuppin'. Really hope the guy's insurance company treats your buddy right.

Pete

Old 03-11-2007, 08:28 AM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That bites but you can count on one thing the insurance company is going to pay as litttle as possible because of the age of th truck.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:43 AM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Just be thankful that the Valiant Chevy took the hit instead of having the bonehead come through the house.

Vehicles can be replaced people can't...

Old 03-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Incredible story. Amazing the Z3 was able to continue after hitting a vehicle weighing that much more than it. A testament to the engineering in it. Too bad it was wasted on that driver.

I suppose the guy who was driving it doesn't have insurance or resources to cover his screw-up?

Old 03-11-2007, 11:29 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
I don't know if it says more about the beamer or the chevy, I would say it's leaning toward the beamer as it was able to drive away. It's still a shame, having a truck that long and buing it new, must of been like loosing a friend. Did the other guy's still have thier fords that they bought new at the same time, or was he the last man standing?

Old 03-11-2007, 02:51 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
2 of us still have our fords, the third was sold after the owner passed away.
as for the bonehead covering the damages, we don't know yet, but the car owner lives in a gated community where the cheapest house is $3 million.

we have not found the drivers address yet, but that is being worked on.
Sara was very upset, she wanted the truck as her first car, but after we explained that it gave its life to save her, she understands a little bit, cause if the truck was not there, there is a very good possibility the car would have ended in the room, and she was sleeping against the outside wall.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Redcat Diesel
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by petes79f150
A moment of silence please.........
What a bummer. Sounds like one of those guys you'd just like to take out behind the barn and give a good whuppin'. Really hope the guy's insurance company treats your buddy right.Pete
I'm just glad to hear nobody but the idiot in the Beamer got hurt.I gotta agree with Pete.Take said idiot out back and explain to him that not all of the scars on my knuckles are from bending wrenches. Good luck to your buddy.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:47 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
im just did a lookup on it, and the low is $2650, high is $4800. so i am gonna tell him to tell the insurance he wants $4500, or he will see them in court.
they should settle for around $3500 i think.
the one good thing is that both vehicles are covered by allstate.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:08 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. Glad no one was hurt. On the BMW, unless the owner had a stated value policy on it, the insurance company isn't going to pay for any addons. So he'd be out the $20K of customs.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:48 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 76supercab2
So he'd be out the $20K of customs.
Sucks for the guy who wrecked it...the owner is probably going to want not only his car, but his mods back on it as well.

A drink for the Chevy...no better way to go than defending someone else.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:59 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
Sucks for the guy who wrecked it...the owner is probably going to want not only his car, but his mods back on it as well..
yup, to heck with him. he is the one that let a drunk drive it home, cause the drunk was not as drunk as he was.

A drink for the Chevy...no better way to go than defending someone else..

the wake was held saturday afternoon, with 2 cases for a few close friends.
the funeral will be held this weekend

Old 03-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Dubzilla
Senior User
A drink for the Chevy...no better way to go than defending someone else.
Lemme go grab a beer.

That's really just insane. That guy must have been -flying-. There's nothing worse than drunk driving.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:14 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,294 Posts
I'm thinking this must have been an X3, as the Z3 is a small, long-nosed sports car....??

Either way, impressive performance from the BMW....

Looks like they need to add the breath sniffer to their line, since apparently they can't be stopped....

Old 03-12-2007, 02:35 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
i cant stand drunks, if i ever get hit and walk away and notice that the guy was drunk i would get arrested for stomping him on the street.

i lost a friend back in 1991, her mom was a co founder of MADD, and the heidi wood bill was formed in mass after her.

Quick Reply: another truck meets a tragic, violent end.