Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Tundra video....don't shoot the messenger.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 08:56 AM
highboy390fe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
Ummmm.......that was like 3 or 4 things.

In the future, try not to let your racial feelings come through.....it only shows ignorance.
Good One.

Some people are just dumb.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:39 AM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Good and fair post.............BUT, the fact remains we can't get the 4.30's or 6 speed if we wanted to and we ARE down in HP and torque.

Your braking comments hold some water........but the true test is NOT an initial stop, the true test is how the brakes perform after repeated stops. The Tundra's hardware is better than Ford's.........not only the rotor size but the 4 piston calipers.

And I have said countless times that I believe the Ford's platform is as good if not better than the Toy's.............add those brakes, transmission and up the power and there is NO reason why the 150 wouldn't leap frog to the top.

If the only thing that comes out in '09 is that goofy Fusion front end, then Ford is toast.

What peeves me is the 150 is basically UNCHANGED for FOUR model years. If there were just minor incremental yearly changes, we wouldn't be lagging so much.
True, these aren't options currently available on the F150, but I'm hoping this Toy has opened some eyes at Ford. Personally, I think the F150 will see the 6spd soon enough, with the Expy being the guinea pig. HP/TQ figures will most likely get a bump in '09, unless they leave the 5.4L alone and release the Hurricane and/or Boss motors, maybe even a diesel in the F150. Pure speculation, but Ford needs to up the bar.

I hear you on your point about the brakes as well. Toy has the bigger rotors and 4 piston calipers, big advantages, but nothing Ford shouldn't be able to upgrade on in the near future. Will they is the question though. Looking at many of the cost cutting moves Ford made from my '02 to my '06 F150, I'm not sure it'll be on Fords Top 10 list of improvements.

I agree I think the Ford is a better overall truck, just slight tweaks here and there year to year would keep the F150 on tops with no threat of losing the title. 6spd or at least a 5spd trans one year, HP/TQ increase another, brakes the next, so on and so forth. Just to keep up with the constant changes of the market.

If all the F150 gets is the face lift in '09, then it will be a sad day. With all the hype around here and the potential Ford has with their truck line, it'd be a huge dissapointment to many Ford fans.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:50 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by V8EXPLR
True, these aren't options currently available on the F150, but I'm hoping this Toy has opened some eyes at Ford. Personally, I think the F150 will see the 6spd soon enough, with the Expy being the guinea pig. HP/TQ figures will most likely get a bump in '09, unless they leave the 5.4L alone and release the Hurricane and/or Boss motors, maybe even a diesel in the F150. Pure speculation, but Ford needs to up the bar.

I hear you on your point about the brakes as well. Toy has the bigger rotors and 4 piston calipers, big advantages, but nothing Ford shouldn't be able to upgrade on in the near future. Will they is the question though. Looking at many of the cost cutting moves Ford made from my '02 to my '06 F150, I'm not sure it'll be on Fords Top 10 list of improvements.

I agree I think the Ford is a better overall truck, just slight tweaks here and there year to year would keep the F150 on tops with no threat of losing the title. 6spd or at least a 5spd trans one year, HP/TQ increase another, brakes the next, so on and so forth. Just to keep up with the constant changes of the market.

If all the F150 gets is the face lift in '09, then it will be a sad day. With all the hype around here and the potential Ford has with their truck line, it'd be a huge dissapointment to many Ford fans.

And that, in a nutshell, is what I've been trying to say.

You'll never see me giving the last Tundra any accolades....very little for Ford to worry about. Not even Toy's "hype" helped.

This new Tundra has raised the bar....Even GM has upped the ante. The new Titan is a surprise contender and with the remodel coming soon may raise the bar even higher.

If Ford answers the challenge, the next few years of trucks should be very exciting. If Ford stands pat, I predict even some of the most die-hard Ford fans may jump camp.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:34 AM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
And that, in a nutshell, is what I've been trying to say.

You'll never see me giving the last Tundra any accolades....very little for Ford to worry about. Not even Toy's "hype" helped.

This new Tundra has raised the bar....Even GM has upped the ante. The new Titan is a surprise contender and with the remodel coming soon may raise the bar even higher.

If Ford answers the challenge, the next few years of trucks should be very exciting. If Ford stands pat, I predict even some of the most die-hard Ford fans may jump camp.
Agreed!

But isn't that what it's suppossed to be about? The only way to get better is for someone to one up the other? Otherwise you'd never get better.

Hopefully Ford is up to the challenge!

Last edited by V8EXPLR; 03-21-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:10 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by V8EXPLR
Agreed!

But isn't that what it's suppossed to be about? The only way to get better is for someone to one up the other? Otherwise you'd never get better.

Hopefully Ford is up to the challenge!
Hope so too.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:36 AM
MountainHound
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just was thinking about the towing/braking situation. If I'm towing 8500lbs I'm using a little marvel of technology called a "brake controller". The trailer's brakes do the work if it's adjusted properly, not the truck's.

So why make an issue out of it? Does Toyota assume most of the folks who'll buy a new Tundra are too stupid to use a brake controller when they hitch up a 10000lb trailer or did the trucks in the towing comparison use brake controllers??

Proper trailer brakes will stop the truck and trailer a helluva lot faster by themselves than any truck's brakes will stop both units Something to do with relative ease in decelerating pushed vs. pulled weight. (I did poorly in my physics classes so I can't spit out a formula).

Old 03-22-2007, 12:25 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MountainHound
Just was thinking about the towing/braking situation. If I'm towing 8500lbs I'm using a little marvel of technology called a "brake controller". The trailer's brakes do the work if it's adjusted properly, not the truck's.

So why make an issue out of it? Does Toyota assume most of the folks who'll buy a new Tundra are too stupid to use a brake controller when they hitch up a 10000lb trailer or did the trucks in the towing comparison use brake controllers??

Proper trailer brakes will stop the truck and trailer a helluva lot faster by themselves than any truck's brakes will stop both units Something to do with relative ease in decelerating pushed vs. pulled weight. (I did poorly in my physics classes so I can't spit out a formula).

I think you're 100% correct..........Also thinking that Toy is just using some sensationlism(sp?) to get the point across that they equip the Tundra with some massive brakes.

I have no idea how the Toys brakes will hold up.....and at the risk of being redundant, I have fried nearly every stock set of Ford brakes I've ever owned.

I am living with warped rotors on my Super Duty till i can find a beefy aftermarket set of rotors..........I'm not dealing with the OEM junk any longer.

I installed the 14" Brembos on the Mustang before it had 1,000 miles on it.

The Lightning is the only Ford in recent memory that I haven't warped the rotors..(but I have gone through 2 sets of pads in the front and 1 rear in 28,000 miles)

Old 03-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Ford4-life
Senior User
09 will be a lot more then a facelift imo. Just look at what ford did with the new superduty do u think we would have that TT6.4 If gm ever made the 6.6 duramax? Ford will have a answer to the Tundra no doubt about it, facelift, larger engine line-up, and higher quality brakes and the whole 9 yards.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:06 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
I swear to you I hope so, but untill then......well let's just say I'm glad I'm not in the market for a truck at this moment.

Last edited by IB Tim; 03-22-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:25 PM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
I swear to you I hope so, but untill then......well let's just say I'm glad I'm not in the market for a truck at this moment.
I'm not in the market anymore, since I bought my '06 in December. Still for '06 models I think the F150 is the best 1/2 ton.

Now for the '07 models, that may be a different story. I've test drove all '07 models, with the exception of the Toy, but I still felt the F150 was the best overall truck. May not have the most HP, may not have the best Trans or Brakes, but overall I still think it's better built and more durable than the other models on the road that I've driven.

Wasn't too impressed with the new Silverado/Sierra (interior was still cheap looking and feeling to me), Titan was way too cheaply built but had some amazing seat of the pants power, Dodge just didn't feel put together well and scared of the problems I've seen with other Dodge's and the Old Tundra was nice overall but way too bland and not to my liking.

Just my opinion, others may vary.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:04 AM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
I have to wonder what was under the hood of that Dodge, My dad has a '07 hemi halfer and I cant imagine something (besides a lightning or STR10) that would eat it up THAT bad in all the tests. Noticethey didnt go out of their way to say how all the trucks were equipped? A lot of tests are real, not staged but they make the competition at a disadvantage by using AWD trucks w/ the smaller displacement motor. While I am not doubting that the toyota is ONE GNARLY TRUCK, I have to doubt the bias of the test.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:47 AM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Originally Posted by BigDaddy6969
I have to wonder what was under the hood of that Dodge, My dad has a '07 hemi halfer and I cant imagine something (besides a lightning or STR10) that would eat it up THAT bad in all the tests. Noticethey didnt go out of their way to say how all the trucks were equipped? A lot of tests are real, not staged but they make the competition at a disadvantage by using AWD trucks w/ the smaller displacement motor. While I am not doubting that the toyota is ONE GNARLY TRUCK, I have to doubt the bias of the test.
When pulling up this link and going to the "Tundra vs. Competition" videos, you'll notice under the option for which video you want to view, they do have a drop down arrow that lists the following items:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/minis...raexperience/#

Engine Configuration
Horsepower
Torque (LB-FT)
Transmission
Traction/Stability Control
Brakes (Front/Rear)
ABS
Vehicle Weight (LBS.)

Of course the F150 doesn't have traction/stability control, has a 4spd auto trans (Chevy is the only other with a 4spd), has the least max TQ and least HP, which of course may be due to having the smallest powerplant. Every other make provides 317 or more HP on a 5.6L or larger engine with at least 10 lb-ft of torque more.

Now with every makes commercials, they're going to have at least a little bias. They wouldn't make the video look like the Nissan or Dodge was the best, then they wouldn't sell any of these trucks.

I truly wonder if the F150 XCab had the 3.55 gears, as all the XCab's I've been around have always had these, none in stock form with a lower gearing (higher numerical number). I think I got that last peice right. Where as compared to the Tundra which has 4.30 gears, making it a lot quicker in the get up and go dept.

Last edited by V8EXPLR; 03-27-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:38 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Wouldnt the Chevy have the smallest powerplant? 327 (5.3) vs 330(5.4)? Just wondering, I didnt know the Toyotas were so low geared, that explains a lot. I know Dodges are rediculously high geared for halfers, cant say i know for sure about the rest but the video would suggest so.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:12 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I think it was the 6.0l wasn't it?

Old 03-28-2007, 09:20 AM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Originally Posted by BigDaddy6969
Wouldnt the Chevy have the smallest powerplant? 327 (5.3) vs 330(5.4)? Just wondering, I didnt know the Toyotas were so low geared, that explains a lot. I know Dodges are rediculously high geared for halfers, cant say i know for sure about the rest but the video would suggest so.
Like BigF350 stated, the Chevy had the 6.0L 2V Push-Rod under the hood, producing 367 HP and 375 lb-ft of Torque.

Now the 5.3L Chevy/GMC offers is smaller than the 5.4L and produces more HP (315) but less lb-ft of Torque (338).

Last edited by V8EXPLR; 03-28-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Tundra video....don't shoot the messenger.