The pros and cons of homemade biodiesel vs wvo.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel engines will run just fine on kerosene.
In fact kerosene is really highly refined diesel with all the sulfer removed.
You MUST add lubricants to Kerosene.

The problem with mixing VO and Kerosene is that they wont stay mixed then you eventually end up running straigt unheated VO. That can cost you an engine

Old 04-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Thats what i thought kerosene was.

Thank you phydeaux.

The amish sell it here by me. its better the the gas station stuff, its clear and refined more. burns way better.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Cool6.9DieselGuy
Senior User
Originally Posted by davE350
How do you do this CoolGuy? Have you done this or are you just still researching? In my situation that would at least work in the Spring & Fall.
It's still cold here in NE Ohio, on a day like today, just above freezing & into the 40's that should help out alot.
I was mainly saying as opposed to an element inside the filter, the heated blankts I hear are way better, and of course this wouldn't be the only form of heat for the system if you live up north, i'm in ne pa, I know in my system I'll have the heated blanket over the fliter but also I'll be heating the lines somehow, not sure if I'd heat the fuel tank but probably just the fuel pickup, I also plan on looping the return so I dont send the heated oil back into the tank... the more it gets heatd the more it oxidizes and apperently the oxidized wvo and svo can cause some issues so I'll be avoiding that and hope to be able to run svo and b100 sometime soon right out of the stock tanks in my 86 f350 6.9

Old 04-16-2007, 09:16 PM
davE350
Senior User
Originally Posted by Cool6.9DieselGuy
I know in my system I'll have the heated blanket over the fliter but also I'll be heating the lines somehow, not sure if I'd heat the fuel tank but probably just the fuel pickup, I also plan on looping the return so I dont send the heated oil back into the tank... the more it gets heatd the more it oxidizes and apperently the oxidized wvo and svo can cause some issues so I'll be avoiding that and hope to be able to run svo and b100 sometime soon right out of the stock tanks in my 86 f350 6.9
I'm doing the stock tanks in an 86 E350. Start on diesel & switch to a blend. Diesel in back tank & blend in front tank.

I thought it was a good thing to send the warm fuel back to the tank! We won't be heating it as much as it was in a fryer.

I have not seen anything on the heated blanket. Where can I look to find a picture of one? Will you be heating the lines with rad fluid or electricity?

Once the engine is hot, do you just shut the current off to the electric heaters? I think I will only need the heaters on the cold starts at freezing or below temps of NE Ohio. Don't know for sure though.

Will you be running any WVO?

Old 04-23-2007, 12:17 AM
Cool6.9DieselGuy
Senior User
I'm doing the stock tanks in an 86 E350. Start on diesel & switch to a blend. Diesel in back tank & blend in front tank.

I thought it was a good thing to send the warm fuel back to the tank! We won't be heating it as much as it was in a fryer.

I have not seen anything on the heated blanket. Where can I look to find a picture of one? Will you be heating the lines with rad fluid or electricity?

Once the engine is hot, do you just shut the current off to the electric heaters? I think I will only need the heaters on the cold starts at freezing or below temps of NE Ohio. Don't know for sure though.

Will you be running any WVO?
You have some awesome questions, ones which I've been asking myself over time, I honestly dont plan on having this set up for 2 more years but I'm also hoping that I wont just be doing a lot of trial and error....
there is a guy on here named flyboy and his system is one of the best I've heard of but I've never seen it in person, I might set something up to constantly be able to run b100 rather than having to switch tanks and run dino or something like that, and that I think is going to be w/ electricity for harsh winters, heat the tanks off a switch and a thermostat, but basically you just need to get the stuff in your tanks to flow a bit and the mechanical pumps on the idi's will be able to suck it up, it still has to get heated I'd say before and after the filter though to about 170deg F and whatever you're running as long as it's clean it will flow through the filter and will be fluid enough for the injection pump to enjoy pumping it for a happy diesel running b100 or even clean wvo for that matter, the key w/ the wvo is just not to run it back into the tank, I wouldn't do this with svo either, and i'm not sure how hot the stuff would be coming off the return lines but I still think in any system the return line back into the system rather than the tank is a great idea for anyone that wants to run wvo, over time though the stuff can turn corrosive, the lighter stuff is always going to float off the top and the tanks are sucking from off the bottom, I would run my tanks down low often before refilling, alternate tanks each day or somthing like that and then sometimes run some kerosene to keep her real clean and happy
but i'm just starting to see it like why go half way, why not set things up to be able to run like a b100, 100percent of the time? I dont think I'll be able to do this for at least like 2 years anyway, but yea you asked about heated blankets I guess do some research on custom heated blakets ther's a few places in the US that could make them that I've come across but dont know of any off hand, i'm sure getting one made to fit around a filter would be fairly easy but doing both the fuel tanks would be more difficult, you can have anything done if you have the money, i'm not sure which route you want to take with your truck but the one you're leaning towards seams easier, run the diesel in one tank and blend in the other, well now that's not saving you much for what you have to put into your system, you gotta think about the coldest days/weeks of the year in ne ohio, it might matter most on what 'blend' you want to run on, 2 massive batterys and a massive alternator you can heat anything you want, most of the stock diesels have real strong system, to be able to run your heating off of thermostats and electirc is going to be very key and I"m not sure how that can be done entirely just yet, to be able to just run a blend or a blend in one tank and dino in the other it just doesn't seam that worth it to me

Last edited by Cool6.9DieselGuy; 04-23-2007 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:50 AM
davE350
Senior User
Hey Cool6.9,

Thanks for your thoughts. I like the idea of a blend because I can run it in my Kubota as well as my E350 which is also a farm vehicle. I won't use it everyday, but a blend will help keep the cost down of using it for what I need it for. I went thru 20 bucks in diesel the other day just to do some close trips, only about 50 miles. C6 with a 4.10 gear, & I was taking it real easy with her!

I'm like you, I just did a refinance on the house to put in a Wood Doctor outdoor woodburning furnance. No more gas company. I was heating a small greenhouse & a 2,000 sq.ft. house & my bills were $500 a month on the cold months. Now in the spring & fall I heat my inground pool. I have prenty of down & leaning trees on my property. As long as I keep an eye on it I can even throw in fresh cut green.

I can't afford a bio-processor & don't want to stretch out a card on a WVO system at the moment. So for me, Firemediceric is getting me going on a blend that should work just peachy. Hey, it's a 21 year old van & parts are still available! This blend should still make me smell like french fries!

Thanks,
davE350

Old 04-23-2007, 08:23 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
I can't afford a bio-processor davE350

You can't afford $200 to build a BD processor?