The pros and cons of homemade biodiesel vs wvo.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by firemediceric
In addition to the other contacts I've mentioned on the other forum check out Kugelsicher (Kugel) on info-pop.

I'll add that for me, viscosity plays a huge part. By thinning the WVO with the k-1 and RUG, I can get the viscosity so it flows as well as WVO that is heated to 160*
THere are no additives you can be sure will not seperate from WVO over time.
Burning unheated WVO will trash your engine over time.

Do you really want to take that gamble.

The point is if you want to burn WVO do it right, spend the $$ and do the conversion, because trying to do it on the cheap can cost you many $$$$$$

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 03-12-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by derherr65
Bio is a good lubricant if you get it right every time. If you ever get it wrong the excess alcohol or lye remove the lubrication leading to galling. Remember that's the "If you screw up"(aka when the s#!t hits the fan) result. If you do either perfectly every time then by definition there's no problem.
If you follow good practices in cleaning your BD you will have no worries.

Getting it wrong happens when you get careless or try to rush things.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:31 PM
rickgthf
Junior User
I haven't used SVO so I don't have any first hand experience but I was attracted to Biodiesel because I have three farm tractors and a truck and didn't want to convert all four to SVO. I don't use magnsol and I don't filter my biodiesel. I do water wash four times, check the pH until it is neutral then spray dry. One advantage with BD is that all the crap seems to drop out with the glycerol-soap layer, then any salts are washed out with the water wash. If you do a good job the resultant BD is crystal clear. I do try to let the finished BD set in a barrel (50 gal batchs) for 2-3 days then remove the BD from the top. Usually there is a thin (less than 1/8 in.) layer of glycerol? on the bottom. I ran 500 gal through my big plow tractor then cut the filter apart. I've seen worse looking filters from running the off road farm petro diesel available here. And all my tractors have double filters.
For what it is worth I quite satisfied and think BD is great.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Cool6.9DieselGuy
Senior User
Originally Posted by firemediceric
By thinning the WVO with the k-1 and RUG, I can get the viscosity so it flows as well as WVO that is heated to 160*
what is k-1 and RUG????
Originally Posted by kennedyford
The Koh glycering is super good for the envirornment, grass, fertile, and feedstock up to 10 percent weight. Hope this helps.
what is Koh glycering??? and how is it good for the environment?

Old 03-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Oregon-Mike
Senior User
K-1 is probably kerosene, RUG is Regular Unleaded Gas. KOH is Potassium hydroxide, aka lye. It's a chemical used in converting the veggie oil to BioDiesel. I think he meant glycerine, not glycering....

Mike

Old 03-16-2007, 06:51 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup Mike your right. I cant type and tink at da same tyme.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Oregon-Mike
Senior User
No worries, that "ing" just kind of rolls off the fingers

Mike

Old 03-19-2007, 08:28 AM
wvoburner
Freshman User
Although it is true that environmentalist dont burn all that well, the process will work if you use a polititian as kindling! Ventilation is critical as the outgassing is very toxic!!!

Old 03-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wvoburner
Although it is true that environmentalist dont burn all that well, the process will work if you use a polititian as kindling! Ventilation is critical as the outgassing is very toxic!!!
At last a good answer to the energy problem and from a renewable resource.

ROFLMAO

Old 03-19-2007, 03:55 PM
rickgthf
Junior User
Regular "unleaded" gas

Originally Posted by Oregon-Mike
K-1 is probably kerosene, RUG is Regular Unleaded Gas. KOH is Potassium hydroxide, aka lye. It's a chemical used in converting the veggie oil to BioDiesel. I think he meant glycerine, not glycering....

Mike
This is off topic but don't you think it is a little ironic to refer to regular gasoline as "unleaded". How long has it been since you could purchase "leaded" gasoline, twenty years?
Maybe it's time to change all those pump signs.

Last edited by rickgthf; 03-19-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Oregon-Mike
Senior User
Good point rick...I can't recall how long ago it was that leaded gas went away...I've never owned a car that needed leaded gas but I *think* I remember it being at the pumps when I first started driving at least (big nozzle, wouldn't fit the newer cars) and the old guys complaining about having to add treatments to the gas for their valve lube or something along those lines.

Mike

Old 03-20-2007, 06:04 PM
firemediceric
Senior User
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
THere are no additives you can be sure will not seperate from WVO over time.
I have a couple jars of the blend sitting in my garage that I collected almost a year ago. They have yet to seperate.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:29 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by rickgthf
This is off topic but don't you think it is a little ironic to refer to regular gasoline as "unleaded". How long has it been since you could purchase "leaded" gasoline, twenty years?
Maybe it's time to change all those pump signs.
1995 when I pumped it for 99 cents into my 1969 Buick GS 400 at ARCO fuel station on 19th Avenue and Hatcher in Phoenix.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:33 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Oregon-Mike
Good point rick...I can't recall how long ago it was that leaded gas went away...I've never owned a car that needed leaded gas but I *think* I remember it being at the pumps when I first started driving at least (big nozzle, wouldn't fit the newer cars) and the old guys complaining about having to add treatments to the gas for their valve lube or something along those lines.

Mike
The addative was because the valve seats couldnt handle the lack of lead. Lead was a lubricant. You can put 15 percent biodiesel in with gasoline and run an older car without hardened valve seats like it was running 100 plus octane. Yes I still have my GS, and Buicks had high nickle content thus they already had hardened valve seats.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Cool6.9DieselGuy
Senior User
1995? 99cents? that's wild, I thought they stopped selling that stuff in the early 80's unless it was racing fuel like cam2 112octane and that was really expensive

Quick Reply: The pros and cons of homemade biodiesel vs wvo.