What is a "RUBBER ROOF", and how best to take care of it

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:18 PM
rustyroll
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does a grayish -blue looking blochy areas on a clean 1 year old roof mean anything? I notice this mostly after I have scrubbed it down .

Old 12-27-2012, 09:22 PM
rustyroll
Freshman User
Have you ever heard of NAZ-DAR vynal products? I used this application on vynal and canvis awnings in the past and they can be brushed or rolled on , and they come in many colors. NAZ-DAR VYNAL PRODUCTS.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:59 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyroll
Have you ever heard of NAZ-DAR vynal products? I used this application on vynal and canvis awnings in the past and they can be brushed or rolled on , and they come in many colors. NAZ-DAR VYNAL PRODUCTS.
If you are asking about RV roofs, I would encourage the use of products designed to be used on RV roof. Dicor makes a number of excellent products and traditionally has had bountiful information on their website.

Steve

Old 12-30-2012, 05:57 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
something like spic and span is what is recommended for my roof.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:48 AM
quick83
Freshman User
UPDATE ON ALPHA ROOF COATING SYSTEM

WELL its been 4 years and that stuff is great!!! still looks like the day i put it on. not weathered at all!!!!!!! NO chalking either!!! i rub my hand on it and NOTHING comes off!! bad news is my wall is still wet inside the wall. tore some open and the plywood is like tunafish inside! ive tried everything except to rip off the whole outside wall/alluminum(1st 3 strips) its just gotta last 2 more years. i sealed the inside real good and keep doing damage control on the out side. I have removed the roof rail and resealed and put in new alluminum screws, the roof ply wood was dry!? that _hit is running down from some other seal, it MAY have been the slide frame on the rv!!! I just remembered i just saw that last fall and sealed it, it had come away 1/8th of an inch and looked like water could sneak past the slide seal and get into the slide frame on the rv.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:40 PM
rustyroll
Freshman User
Where did you buy the rubber roof sealant ,how many years did you wait before you applied it , and what kind of work is entailed in the process? Leaks can be a real problem to find ,but if it's anywhere near a slide out thats where you need to focus. New rubber , silicone , and maybe some of that sealant stuff on the slide out roof as well. Baking soda will remove the mildew smell durring storage ,plenty of baking soda!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Slide-out seals are a whole 'nuther topic really, the seals are inside AND out, the gap all around should be looked at to make sure the slide is even all around, and the seals overlap from the top down like shingles.

- Some of the funniest looking strips of self adhesive weather strip I have ever seen before!
NEVER USE OLD or QUESTIONABLE pieces for a repair, because the adhesive on them is best if new
(left over bits may fail to stick completely. Then where are you?)

LOOK FOR THIS:
If the "new" seal pieces look like the protective tear-off backing is bubbled up or longer than the rubber, or if it is pulled away from the adhesive anywhere before it is applied - don't use it. Self adhesive strips that won't even stick to their own packaging are definitely not gunna be good enough...

Old 03-08-2013, 07:16 AM
quick83
Freshman User
Rustyroll I bought the 2 step system fron alfa roofing company, the one who made the rubber on my roof. I put it on after 9 years(the white rubber was gone and going and black rubber was showing.) It is a huge job ans really should be done inside due to debris getting on it and threat of rain. You will need to make some kind of a scaffell(read my other posts) you apply step 1 one area at a time wait 20 min and apply step 2. I made a scaffell with 2 ladders and 8x10 or so lumber and had 2 keep moving them!! it was a pain. I used my friends shop and had it in on a fri eve and had to out sun eve. had to stay up all night sat eve so i could let it dry to apply 2nd coat and have enuff time for that to dry b4 took back home. read about all my mistakes. It's also expensive 350.00 4 years ago for 2 of step 1 , and 2 of step 2. But like anthing in life u usually get what u pay for and anything worthwhile is hard work. now i have a fantastic seal on the roof. They told me if i do it right it will last 15 years!!!! good luck. any other questions ask. BTW my calfs hurt for 2 weeks after standing all that time. i am 59 y/o now. Oh btw the shop here wanted 1,400 to do it for me.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:49 PM
rustyroll
Freshman User
Cool Rusty roll

Thanks ,I have to join this club it's got some great info. I have a 2011 forest river 40' and the roof looks like a 2000 units would look. I clean it three times a year but it looks bluish and spotty . Whats with that.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 AM
quick83
Freshman User
If you are seeing bluish r u sure it's not the black underneath the white top layer looking blue? what do u use to clean it with? After you answer these questions i will tell u what i think.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 AM
quick83
Freshman User
OK SINCE not answer i will try to help u out anyways, your white rubber(laminated to layer of black) is prob starting to wear off for some reason and it looks blue cause u r lookin thru a thin layer of white at the black underneath.This can happen if do not clean like the manufacturer says.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
*Bleach can also cause a bluish look. Straight bleach is an oxidant, and can raise holy hell with rubber materials
~it eats them alive, in fact

Old 03-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
FWIW - I'll pass on what I said in REPS to RUSTY:

Being a member is free. I became a paying member long ago for many reasons, but mostly so I'd have a PM mailbox that doesn't fill up. I talk to a lot of people on here, and get a lot out of every minute spent on FTE. I have saved easily a thousand times more money than I have spent on FTE because I was warned before doing things the most expensive way possible

(not to mention painful)

You don't have to shell out to be here at all -

BUT IT SURE MAKES IT SWEET!

~Wolfie
(member since 2001)

Old 04-10-2013, 06:50 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Nowhere in this thread is there any mention at all of TPO roofs, just EDPM.

TPO is a different material. It is NOT EDPM, and even though Dicor will adhere to it if it is cleaned real well, re-covering it with a roll-on material will likely take a different procedure with different materials (or at least a different primer).

TPO is not a new material for roofing, as my 1999 Forrest River Flagstaff has it. It has held up very well, and there are no thin or "blueing" spots anywhere. Wish I could say the same for all the supplemental sealing compounds.

What I am saying is:

Know with absolute certainty of what material your roofing membrane is made if/when it becomes necessary to re-coat it.

Pop

Old 05-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I SECOND THAT! Using the wrong material is worse than leaving it alone...

I worked on a Mini-Winnie for a friend today, and I still haven't figured out what that roof is made of. It 's a coach that has been used-sold out of Southhaven RV of Mississippi many times, and they tried to reglue about a quarter of curb side after water seperated a good stretch of it. The roof looks like the same gel-glass as the sides, and the leaks could only have come from upstairs around the edge of something - but there's no trace of where, as if the original problem was cleaned up.

WATER WILL REMAIN inside a coach forever and a day unless it is tracked down and got rid of...