1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Best way to temporarily disable the truck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 04:24 PM
hdman6
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

you can also remove the start relay in the fuse panel and put it in a safe place then just plug it back in when you want to restart it. it located in the fuse panel and is one of those big black square looking things. The manual tells you which one does what and so on. I had a problem with this and found out it was the relay that was bad. its a quick and fast one too.. jeff

Old 03-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Spamjohnson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump fuse #19 should take care of it.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:59 AM
cgl
Posting Guru
I pull the Injector Driver relay out. It's a relay in the cab, granted this is on an 02. I typically do it at airports. I forgot I pulled it out once and was almost pissed when she wouldn't start.. then I remembered.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:24 AM
ballbandit
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

You could po[p the fuel safety switch. Then when your ready to go all you have to do is push the button back down. It is on the right side kick panel. All you have to do is tap it with a handle of hammer and the red button will pop up, but dont it to hard where you will break it.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:37 AM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
take the steering wheel off.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:52 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cgl
I pull the Injector Driver relay out. It's a relay in the cab, granted this is on an 02. I typically do it at airports. I forgot I pulled it out once and was almost pissed when she wouldn't start.. then I remembered.
His is a 99.. the Injector Driver Module is under the hood in the panel box, #27 location, 30A large fuse.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Wieckster
Senior User
park it in the garage with it locked and the garage locked

Old 03-09-2007, 01:25 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Haha!

Put your girlfriend in it and tell her "I'll be right back" - no one in their right mind will go anywhere near your truck then!!

OR

Put a big note on the steering wheel saying "I paid the kid across the street $10 to call the police and report this truck as stolen if it moves. He's got 2 broken legs and ain't going anywhere, and my truck better not either. But there's soap-on-a-rope in back in case you can't resist"

The PCM fuse is probably your best/easiest option, short of getting a DP Tuner.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Wieckster
Senior User
HEYYYYY that sounds like a good way to explain to the wife why I need a DP Tuner so no one can steal my truck

Old 03-09-2007, 01:29 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Disable anything to do with starting it, so it will not turn over. They may sit there for hours cranking it to no avail and burn up the starter and kill the batteries at the same time.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:57 PM
renegade734
Junior User
Leave the truck someplace else ... ??

Old 03-09-2007, 02:06 PM
rad1026
Elder User
OK, all these suggestion of taking the #9 PCM fuse out, or removing relays, etc. Is this safe to do with the batteries connected? Especially anything to do with the PCM?

Old 03-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rad1026
OK, all these suggestion of taking the #9 PCM fuse out, or removing relays, etc. Is this safe to do with the batteries connected? Especially anything to do with the PCM?
Yep, it's safe with the batteries still connected. BTW: It's fuse #30 for the PCM, I stand corrected from my previous post, Thanks to clintbonnie setting it straight, #9 is for the older trucks. I forget which forum I'm posting in sometimes

I can't believe how many helpful? tips that have been given here for someone with a legitimate question.

Last edited by Cuda_jim; 03-09-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:02 PM
randle_ford
Senior User
Ok, thanks all so far for the "variety" of responses ranging from the reasonable to ridiculous; however, I still don't think I have a solution which accomplishes my goal. The disabling technique needs to be:
- Quick (a minute or to tops)
- Temporary (completey reversible with no issues)
- Hidden (average person (i.e. non-FTE enthusiast) can't easily figure it out)
- Safe (No damage to the truck)

Note: There are multiple sets of keys to the truck so some one may indeed attempt to start it.
Note2: I do not have a chip. Well not yet anyway, I'm waiting for Jody to create pod mount first. Change my 3 pod to a 4 pod . . . blah, blah blah . . . anyways back to the point.

Best Technique Submitted so far:
The best techniques submitted so far is to pull a relay and/or fuse to disable the starting. However, if someone has a set of keys I don't want them ruining the starter or draining the batteries by continuing to crank on it. So the objective of safe hasn't been met.

Other techniques typically weren't quick (remove tires, steering wheel, etc.) or practical (having someone watch it) so won't be considered for my purposes.

Ideally, the outcome of the technique would simply disable the starting such that if someone did have a valid set of keys and tried to start it absolutely nothing happens as if it didn't have batteries attached. However, I don't want this method as even an average person could pop the hood and immediately see the batteries disconnected.

I really am looking for a solid solution and believe it a technique meets the objectives there would be numerous FTE's that would use it.

Keep the ideas coming.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:08 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
To add another suggestion go out and buy a "Club" then they cant move the steering wheel.

But seriously why cant you just get all the keys and hide them....thats the simplest one of them all I would think as long as you dont forget where you put them.

We all kinda need the whole story, are you afraid of someone you dont know stealing it? Some one that has access to your keys takeing it for a spin? Are you storing it somewhere and dont want it moved? whats the deal.....I think just pulling a relay would be the easyest, or the batteries. If someone pops the hood and see's the batteries gone do you think they will go out and buy two $50 too $70 batteries just to start it up and drive off somewhere. Well I hope all possible solutions havnt been exhausted. Good luck!

Last edited by jvoigt; 03-09-2007 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Best way to temporarily disable the truck?