Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 1994 f150 caught on fire (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:34 PM
AFSOCmech
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I bought my 94, I took it to the local dealer and asked them to look at it for the recall. I already new about it from being on these forums. I had no recall notice and they took my truck right in and hooked me up. The dealership can look it up by VIN since they have a database to look in. They can not refuse you. If they do, ask them to put it in writing and have the service manager sign it.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:08 AM
flareside93sb302
New User
i have a 93 flareside(love flaresides) that is a shame to see that. i have not had mine looked at and will soon.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Digging up an old thread here...

Hey James, how about an update on your truck? A thread came up about this recall and it reminded me of you and your loss. Did you get her running again?

(also sent a PM so hopefully you'll get an email message to come back!)

Old 08-30-2007, 04:23 PM
NeXtras
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ouch, that really stinks man, awesome truck too, i also have a flare side, i got the recall notice and had it fixed...

but an update would be good, i want to know if you got it running again, mayb some pics too?

Old 08-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Idiot730
Freshman User
so how does the interior look? is it melted?

Old 10-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Sentimentalflareside
New User
flareside fire

Originally Posted by AFSOCmech
When I bought my 94, I took it to the local dealer and asked them to look at it for the recall. I already new about it from being on these forums. I had no recall notice and they took my truck right in and hooked me up. The dealership can look it up by VIN since they have a database to look in. They can not refuse you. If they do, ask them to put it in writing and have the service manager sign it.
i was curious what the recal was? I own a 94 Flareside, shes my baby it was inherited from my father all I got left of him in physical form I can use to reminisce, and I went for a ride today and when I returned it was smoking so I opened the hood and oil on the drivers side exhaust manifold was on fire luckily I got the fire out before much damage was done, cant tell exactly where the oil came from, does you know where it may have come from? is this part of the recall?

Old 10-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE, sorry to hear about what could have been a major issue.

The recall deals with a switch on the master cylinder and its harness. While it's very important to make sure your truck had the recall done, it sounds like you have an oil leak elsewhere, like the valve cover gasket.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Sentimentalflareside
New User
just got done replacing those gaskets as well as the valve covers yesterday as the truck was leaking before, I let it run in the yard for a few hours yesterday and reved it up to make sure it wasn't still leaking and there was no leakage, then today disaster, could it be from the dipstick, that's were it looks like the leak is near, it almost looks like it was coming out of the dipstick tube, if that's the case would it just be a dipstick o ring or something internal causing it to come out when driving?
also how would I know if the truck has been fixed for the recall? and what are the symptoms of the recall?

Old 10-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Check here for recall notices on your truck: Personalized Vehicle Owner Information

Is the oil dipstick tube rotted at all? The seal to the block using an o-ring and a slight coating of RTV, the that's underneath the exhaust manifold.

If there's oil coming out of the top of dipstick, it could either be way overfull, or you've got some internal problems like piston rings...

Old 10-21-2013, 09:01 PM
Rambo76
Senior User
Was this recall/ problem on the 94 250's as well? My cruise control does not work so I bet it has been unhooked. What all would need unhooked? I had no idea ford would still honor a recall for a truck so old.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:11 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
There's an electrical connector on switch on the master cylinder that Ford recommends to disconnect until the recall is done.

Since it's a safety recall, there's no limit on age of the vehicle.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:16 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
Pretty much ALL ford vehicles built from around 92 up until the early 2000s are affected by this recall. As mentioned, unplug the brake pressure switch on the master cyl until you get the recall done. Recalls are for the life of the vehicle, they must be performed regardless of age, mileage, or not being the original owner.

There is always voltage present at that connector, so if the switch fails and leaks, there is a risk of fire even with the ignition off and the keys in your pocket. People have lost garages as a result of this.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Rambo76
Senior User
Anyone have a pic of the brake pressure switch that needs unplugged? And if unplugged does this only affect the cruise control?

Old 10-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Sentimentalflareside
New User
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
Check here for recall notices on your truck: Personalized Vehicle Owner Information

Is the oil dipstick tube rotted at all? The seal to the block using an o-ring and a slight coating of RTV, the that's underneath the exhaust manifold.

If there's oil coming out of the top of dipstick, it could either be way overfull, or you've got some internal problems like piston rings...
I looked up my vin number and it says there are no recalls, does that mean no recalls have been performed or that there are no recalls this vehicle should have had done? I was curious because I have cruise control but it does not work

Old 10-22-2013, 01:08 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rambo76
Anyone have a pic of the brake pressure switch that needs unplugged? And if unplugged does this only affect the cruise control?
Here's a link to another thread on here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...ml#post2979605

The switch is the round device with the square red connector on it. This is on top of the brake master cylinder. Yeah if you unplug it, then your cruise won't work.

Quick Reply: my 1994 f150 caught on fire (pics)