Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New Member turbo wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 08:44 AM
ggmfl77
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member turbo wheel question

Is there a difference between the Wicked Wheel and the Superior Compressor Wheel or is one as good as the other?

Also, what is a "foil delete"?

Thanks guys.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Both are the same wheel, just under different brand names.

Foil Delete is a mod that makes your turbo louder. You remove the foil from the intercooler pipe on the driver's side. The foil is there as insulation from sound and was Ford's way of quieting down the cab a bit.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:22 AM
ggmfl77
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks

ok. That's what I thought.

So my truck is a early ninety nine, which isn't supposed to have the turbo surge (when I get deep into the boost with my Predator set at +85 it sounds like rebar being drug over a washboard, I hope that's "turbo surge"). I'm confused as to why my early model would be experiencing this?

Old 03-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by ggmfl77
ok. That's what I thought.

So my truck is a early ninety nine, which isn't supposed to have the turbo surge (when I get deep into the boost with my Predator set at +85 it sounds like rebar being drug over a washboard, I hope that's "turbo surge"). I'm confused as to why my early model would be experiencing this?
Even the early style turbo wheel, which is the same one as the WW, will experience a surging problem if pushed hard enough. I can easily make mine surge but by then the EGT's are well into the red zone. And it sounds a lot like you describe. Sort of a chirping noise.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:16 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First off, your early 99 does not have the intercooler pipe foil, or it shouldn't if it is factory. There is not much you can do with a early 99 turbocharger to cure surge, as the wheel is already "upgraded", and if you surge then, there isnt much to do other than back off of the fuel, or upgrade the entire turbo to a later model. No one caters to the early 99 turbos.