Help! Can't shift out of 4 low (94 F150)! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Help! Can't shift out of 4 low (94 F150)!

Old 03-05-2007, 04:55 PM
BigAlVB
Senior User
BigAlVB is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help! Can't shift out of 4 low (94 F150)!

Hello all! I did a cursory search and didn't find what I need.
The truck is a 94 F150 with the 1356 (I'm pretty sure) transfer case. Activated by pushing button on dash and then 4 low selector is on dash, also. I installed manual hubs a year ago or so.
Yesterday I had the truck in 4 low and I heard a loud noise and the truck died. Fired right back up but at that time I had no indication of being in 4 high or low on the dash. Depressed both buttons and nothing happened. Took it for a short drive and its still in 4 low, also checked front driveshaft and it won't turn, which I understand indicates it is still in 4 wheel drive mode.
Unlocked the front hubs.
Checked fuses underneath the dash and 10 amp appears OK so changed the 20 amp circuit breaker also in there. Still nothing.
Is there a fuse or circuit breaker under the hood I need to consider, and if so, which one? What else could this be? Certainly there is no power the 4 wd cluster on the dash as no lights or anything happening when I push the buttons.
PLEASE HELP! All info appreciated...
**I also posted this in appropriate forum; I trust that is OK **

Old 03-05-2007, 06:39 PM
lostin90s
Postmaster
lostin90s is starting off with a positive reputation.
Take the shift motor off and work the shaft back and forth on transfer . It may just have jambed on you . Work it and move truck back forth . Do it couple times and see what happens. If you get it out reinstall shift motor and see works. I had one do it to me and after I did above it worked. Them next weekend I converted to manual. The motors are not real pricey there are a couple sending units aloso that go bad . Good luck

Old 03-06-2007, 06:08 AM
BigAlVB
Senior User
OK, thanks. It is about 0 degrees F out right now, is the motor easy to get to and identify? Also are any of the big fuses or relays under the hood suspect and, if so, which ones should I check? Esp the relays as it is easy to tell if a fuse is blown but not so easy with a relay. I just ask because I have no power to the two dash switches at all.
Thanks again...

Old 03-06-2007, 06:20 AM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Skandocious is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Skandocious is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just because the lights are not coming on does not mean you aren't getting power. If memory serves, the 4x4 light and the amber bulbs next to the shift-on-the-fly buttons are activated after the shift lever inside of the transfer case actually ACTUATES. I believe there is some sort of a button inside of the transfer case that gets physically pushed when you actuate the 4wd. This system is more reliable than simply activating the indicator lights when the button is pushed because this way it won't SAY you're in 4wd unless you're IN 4wd.

That being said, I'm not sure how you could be in 4 low and yet NOT have the indicator lights lit up on the dash. I am not super familiar with the inner workings of the transfer case but is it possible that the 4wd is halfway engaged? Or could this possibly be a transmission related problem (maybe stuck in 2wd L gear)?? Hope that helps.

-Chris

Old 03-06-2007, 09:53 AM
fbama73
Senior User
fbama73 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lostin90's, you said that you converted your transfer case to manual. Did that involve (as I have believed for the 8 years I've owned my truck) changing the entire transfer case? Or was it simply a case of removing the shift motor and installing the manual linkage? Also, I have been told that all Ford cabs in the '92-'96 range already have the hole in the floor for the manual xfer case shifter, you just have to remove a plate to install it- is this true?

There were three things about my truck I didn't like when I bought it. The autohubs are gone, and depending on the answer to this question, I may get the manual transfer case sooner than expected.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Talyn
Post Fiend
Talyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud of
Hes got manual hubs, not manual T-Case.

He had a thunk, and then no more 2wheel drive.

I had this issue myself. got off the big highway, and thunk when i pushed in the clutch. I coudln't figure out what was wrong. played with the shifter, put it in 4wL and nothing. rocked the truck, and 4low engaged, i was stuck there.

If your issue is like mine was, your chain broke, or your shift/mode forks are gone.

I had to replace all 3.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:04 PM
BigAlVB
Senior User
Quick update for anyone who may care. Tranny mechanic who I trust said pull the 4wd motor and see if I can turn the rod into the transfer case to 4 hi or 2wd with a pliers. I got the motor off easily and no go on the rod moving. The tranny guy said if that happens then the motor is good and its internal but more than likely not the chain. I guess I'll try to remove the skid plate and get the transfer case out. The mechanic said it probably won't be too expensive (less than $500 easily) to get it back in tip-top shape. I'm hopeful... I sure am glad I've got the lift kit on to access underneath the truck--makes it mucho easier!

Old 03-11-2007, 07:15 PM
lostin90s
Postmaster
lostin90s is starting off with a positive reputation.
I swapped in a manual case into mine. And that was my next idea an internal problem. They are easy to rebuild . Hope you figure it out.