4r55e 5r55e Ranger / Explorer Transmission Problems - CLICK HERE - Page 69 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Reload this Page >

4r55e 5r55e Ranger / Explorer Transmission Problems - CLICK HERE

Notices
Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models
Old 11-24-2014, 07:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

4r55e 5r55e Ranger / Explorer Transmission Problems - CLICK HERE

Old 09-28-2017, 11:38 PM
1998Ranger25L153CID
Elder User
1998Ranger25L153CID is starting off with a positive reputation.
I subscribed to this thread a long time ago. I've gone through the original transmission, a Ford partial rebuild that lasted about a year, and then another partial rebuild that lasted 1 day of driving. Then finally a Motorcraft remanufactured unit that lasted a few years about 87,000 miles with proper 30,000 mile services. Then I bought one from a local transmission warehouse that is no longer in business that custom built it with whatever HD parts there was, which wasn't much or maybe nothing but it's outlasted the previous two rebuilds and doubled the time the Motorcraft remanufactured one lasted. I believe it's coming up close to 150,000 miles or maybe even 200,000 miles on it and as far as I can tell it's still good. The good thing is I got to keep the old transmission. I was wondering is it a rebuild a couple of friends could tackle with a fair amount of automotive experience combined and be confident that it may work? I've watched the videos and have the Ford guide. All it's doing is just sitting in my garage on a jack. I was told that at least the torque converter was bad when the transmission was replaced.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:15 AM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
I forgot to say to put the TRS on the suspect list too, if line pressure checks out ok.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:02 AM
stevebox28
New User
stevebox28 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exclamation

Can somebody fix the pictures in the article Common Fix For 4r55e / 5r55e Transmissions With A Bad Separator Plate And Valve Body Gasket? I planned on checking dropping the pan and inspecting the valve body this weekend and having the pictures would help immensely because I do not have a shop manual yet.

Thanks, Steve

Old 04-21-2018, 11:02 PM
Chipmunk111292
New User
Chipmunk111292 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2005 Ford ranger 3.0l automatic

Hey I have an 05 ranger 3.0l v6 I just got from a friend. 230,XXX miled and the transmission shifts really hard when going into overdrive. Sometimes it kind of grinds when shifting in and out of overdrive. Also it kind of lags sometimes and takes longer to go into overdrive. Help please.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:10 AM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to FTE
EDIT: WOOOPS I missed in the title that it's a auto tranny?.
Was it doing this when the friend owned it, or did it begin doing this suddenly after some event?
Check the tranny fluid condition & fluid level as called out in the owner manual.
Has the tranny been serviced as specified with the proper fluid & filter changes over time?
Use your ELM scan tool to have it look for & display pending, or set, trouble code clues on the viewing device of your choice as discussed here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-scantool.html & post All code Numbers, as they can help you & members focus your trouble shoot.
Some beginning thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:45 PM
jo-stang
New User
jo-stang is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hello FTE,
I have an 98 Ranger 4.0l auto 4x4 with 238k. The truck runs well but has the occasional blinking O/D light, got the code pulled and it's P0731. The truck shifts seem fine until the light comes on. Once the light is on it feels like no engine braking and if I come to a stop it feels sluggish in first like it's starting in second or third gear. If I stay at speed there doesn't seem to be any effect from the blinking O/D light. I pull over turn off the truck and turn back on problems go away truck drives fine until the light comes back on. No hard shifts, grinds, or slipping (except when it feels like it's starting in second) that I can tell. I've read that this code can be several things and that the symptoms can differ. Any suggestions on where to start considering my symptoms and year truck?
Thanks,
Joe

Old 05-03-2018, 03:47 PM
pawpaw
Welcome to FTE
Lots of unknowns.
Your right, the P0731 is a generic trouble code, the list of possibilities are long as outlined here https://www.obd-codes.com/p0732
SO, you need some mfg specific codes to help zero in on what is acting out & a ELM scan tool running FORScan diagnostic software on the viewing device of your choice as discussed in the above post 1025, might be a good place to begin looking deeper for the cause. as it can also query the tranny controller for clues..
Seeing as you say this is a "project truck" you recently came by, try to find some vehicle maintenance, repair & use history from the previous owner/s.
Check the tranny fluid level & condition, maybe consider a tranny filter change & Full tranny fluid pump out, as outlined near the bottom of the "Tech Info" thread atop the forum index page.
Some beginning thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:35 AM
jo-stang
New User
jo-stang is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hello Pawpaw,
A professional scanner was used and the Code was P0731, so not sure how or if buying a ford specific tool will help diagnoses any further. I used the term project truck mainly because its not my daily and it needed/s a few small things like ignition, idler pulley, stereo, exhaust gasket, steering wheel switches and a few light bulbs. The truck runs well besides the small things and the P0731.There are no records with this truck but I can see many newish parts and can see it was generally maintained. I will check the trans fluid condition which I should have already done. I thought it might be an electrical component because it happens randomly and trans fluid related issues would be happen somewhat consistently? Thanks for the help anyways

Old 05-04-2018, 09:12 AM
pawpaw
If the vehicle has had severe service, (that's how most of our stop & go, short trip, around town, cold months drive cycles add up), with cooling system neglect, doesn't have the additional fluid to air tranny fluid cooler that the tow package offered & not had due tranny fluid & filter changes, sludge, gum, varnish can muck things up internally & cause all sorts of intermittent mischief.

Did the Pro scan tool program have access to Ford specific trouble codes, other computer/controllers & could it put up live PID feeds? If so, have a look at the tranny shift solenoids & post All trouble code Numbers found, or any anomalies with the tranny or torque converter PID's.
The ELM running FORScan can allow us to look into & touch some things the Dealer can't, unless they have Factory permission, so it's a really good & inexpensive addition to our electronic trouble shooting tool box. The ELM can be used on other vehicles too, running whatever diagnostic software we choose to run on our viewing device choice

Seeing as how things are working, the problem is intermittent & it doesn't require much in the way of deposits to cause our tranny to act out, you might consider a Complete tranny flush as outlined in the Tech Info thread, along with a licensed Mercon V fluid & a good Flltran made Motorcraft tranny filter & see if the new fluid detergents can tidy things up enough to make a positive difference. By dropping the pan to change the tranny filter, you'll get an idea of how the vehicle was used, maintained & maybe its current condition.

The vehicle being new to you, with the mileage on it, along with unknown maintenance or repair past, needs all fluids flushed & filters hoses thermostat, radiator cap & belts replaced, so your starting from a fresh known base.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:07 AM
cannonwill
New User
cannonwill is starting off with a positive reputation.
5R44E Speed Sensor Replacement

I am in the process of replacing the Output Speed Sensor for a 5R44E 5 speed transmission. I have the pert I need but I am having a problem:

1) This has been worked on before, apparently. The outside of the bolt and the T-30 torx on the inside are both stripped to a point I have not been able to get a grip on them. What can you suggest to help me get this bolt loose without removing the entire transmission?

2) I am having a hard time finding the replacement part for this bolt. Once the new sensor is in I would like to also use a fresh new bolt. What is this part number and where can a guy get such a part?

I have a Mazda B3000 4WD Extended Cab - VIN 4F4ZR47E02TM13499. (170,000 miles)

This is a first ditch effort to address symptoms. I would appreciate any help or direction you may offer.

Symptoms - Cruising along with cruise on and all of a sudden engine starts racing, shifted into lower gear. Parked and then discovered reverse was not available. Drove some 200 miles to get home (no choice) and forward seemed to get me there without incident. I got another day with low miles out of it, still with no reverse. Reverse now works sporadically, sometimes has to slide in before it catches. I am only able to use low gears in forward now. I can run at 55 mph and 3700 rpms or so. After a few minutes driving the O/D light starts flashing.

I live in the country so she does me good for the 5 miles or so it takes to get me into town, then I jump on my bike, weather permitting. I have a back up vehicle. Seems like an interesting adventure to dig into this and see if I can fix it. I do have a shop where I can have it indoors for an extended period of time if it goes that far.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:18 AM
pawpaw
Originally Posted by cannonwill View Post
I am in the process of replacing the Output Speed Sensor for a 5R44E 5 speed transmission. I have the pert I need but I am having a problem:

1) This has been worked on before, apparently. The outside of the bolt and the T-30 torx on the inside are both stripped to a point I have not been able to get a grip on them. What can you suggest to help me get this bolt loose without removing the entire transmission?

2) I am having a hard time finding the replacement part for this bolt. Once the new sensor is in I would like to also use a fresh new bolt. What is this part number and where can a guy get such a part?

I have a Mazda B3000 4WD Extended Cab - VIN 4F4ZR47E02TM13499. (170,000 miles)

This is a first ditch effort to address symptoms. I would appreciate any help or direction you may offer.

Symptoms - Cruising along with cruise on and all of a sudden engine starts racing, shifted into lower gear. Parked and then discovered reverse was not available. Drove some 200 miles to get home (no choice) and forward seemed to get me there without incident. I got another day with low miles out of it, still with no reverse. Reverse now works sporadically, sometimes has to slide in before it catches. I am only able to use low gears in forward now. I can run at 55 mph and 3700 rpms or so. After a few minutes driving the O/D light starts flashing.

I live in the country so she does me good for the 5 miles or so it takes to get me into town, then I jump on my bike, weather permitting. I have a back up vehicle. Seems like an interesting adventure to dig into this and see if I can fix it. I do have a shop where I can have it indoors for an extended period of time if it goes that far.
Welcome to FTE

Use, borrow, or come by the inexpensive but powerful ELM scan tool & running FORScan diagnostic software on the viewing device of your choice, as discussed here, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-scantool.html.
This combo can scan All of the vehicle computer/controllers for trouble code clues, so post All code Numbers, as they can help focus a trouble shoot.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:20 AM
cannonwill
New User
My bad, I am pretty sure this is a 5R55E transmission. I have the 4WD Cab Plus4 4.0L Automatic SE. :-)

Old 07-08-2018, 01:56 PM
cannonwill
New User
I am still attempting to do this speed sensor replacement. However, it looks like I may be in for taking on the job of finding and replacing the transmission. I would like to know where the best place is in the Ford Trucks forum to find information on finding exactly the right transmission, and getting help pulling the job off.

Any help would be welcomed! Thanks.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:26 PM
pawpaw
Does the ELM scan tool show that you have a trouble code for the rear ABS speed sensor or other systems that use its PID to do their things.??? If so, the ABS system, speed-o, tranny & cruise control all use its PID output, so if its acting out, you may also be having problems with those systems, as clues its faulty.
Unless Ford has moved it on the 2002 Ranger/Mazda, its located atop the front center of the Rear differential pumpkin housing. One 10mm Hex head bolt & internal "O" ring holding it in. Bolt tightening torque is 25-29 ft/lbs.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:34 AM
cannonwill
New User
I have not done an ELM scan. I do not have the equipment for that. I am planning on taking it in to my local mechanic and have them do this, however.
I am hoping they can at least get the stripped bolt out for the speed sensor. Finding that part (the bolt for replacement) has been a challenge. I can see the sensor in drawings I have come across but not the bolt itself.

I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to understand On-board diagnostics Parameter IDs, much less on this particular vehicle. Strictly amateur stuff for me. But I am pretty serious about figuring this one out. Thanks for the reply!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4r55e 5r55e Ranger / Explorer Transmission Problems - CLICK HERE

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.