Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

4r55e 5r55e Ranger / Explorer Transmission Problems - CLICK HERE

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 02:17 AM
Bryan Bennett
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also the TCC solenoid has a mounting ear that is supposed to hold it in place -it has a valve body bolt going through the ear------the ear is known to break off and allow the TCC solenoid to back out and you will have no lock-up

Old 11-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Jspafford
Senior User
Has anyone experienced a delay in shifting from forward to reverse gears? From park to reverse, reverse to drive, and any combination in between I have a delay of about 2-3 seconds before it actually hits the gear. Never used to be that way. Wife says it's been that way for a couple weeks. It's her car

2002 Sport Trac 4.0, 5r55e, 4WD.

Thanks

Old 11-16-2009, 10:22 AM
FastEddy760
New User
Welcome Bryan & Thanks...

Hi Bryan,

Your experience and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to post "in the field" experience with the 5R55E.

Any other tips or suggestions are welcome. This particular thread seems to be the catch all so please drop the hints and tips.

Very much appreciated,
Eddy

Originally Posted by Bryan Bennett
Also the TCC solenoid has a mounting ear that is supposed to hold it in place -it has a valve body bolt going through the ear------the ear is known to break off and allow the TCC solenoid to back out and you will have no lock-up

Last edited by FastEddy760; 11-16-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 11-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Bryan Bennett
New User
FastEddy760-thanks for the welcome.-----I have seen alot of the normal repeat repair things and alot of strange,out of the ordinary and dont mind sharing my experiences------Most people dont want to learn anything these days-especially if it involves getting dirty or taking longer than 5 minutes to complete.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:35 AM
usmccope
New User
2001 4WD 3.0 engine automatic 5R55E transmission rough shift (not slipping) from 1st

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o> </o>
<o> </o>
I own a 2001 4WD 3.0 engine automatic 5R55E transmission. I have already went to the Ford Dealership and ordered the valve body kit and fixed this problem on my truck but still have a rough shift (not slipping) from 1<SUP>st</SUP> into 2<SUP>nd</SUP> gear while driving. When I replaced the gaskets, separator plate etc that was recommended in the guide we did locate the gasket to be bad and tore in multiple places on the separator plate. Replaced all that as the guide instructed and fixed that problem but the shifting rough problem is still there. Begging driving it not as bad but throughout the time driving especially if stop and go the transmission will progressively worsen in shifting rough out 1<SUP>st</SUP> into 2<SUP>nd</SUP>. I have heard statements on the ISS and <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">OSS</st1lace></st1:City> sensors located on the transmission could have gone bad. Has any one heard of this and if so is this a reasonable solution. My friend had pulled the code which he had cleared first and believed it said P1720 which reads as a BWD Vehicle Speed Sensor, he was not sure due to he cleared it to quick before remembering it well. I ordered the part (BWD vehicle speed sensor) but could not locate this anywhere on the transmission. Then someone had brought to my attention if he sure it didn’t pull as P0720 which is the ISS sensor which is located on the upper mid portion of the transmission above the shifting mechanism. I located the ISS and <st1:City w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">OSS</st1lace></st1:City> sensor took them off and Cleaned them due to they were dirty and put them back on. Still having rough shifting from 1<SUP>st</SUP> to 2<SUP>nd</SUP>. Does anyone know if the ISS or <st1:City w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">OSS</st1lace></st1:City> sensor is a common cause for the symptoms I listed? <o></o>

Old 11-22-2009, 12:17 PM
lugwrench
New User
stuck on the ramp

Hi guy's

I have been reading this thread for some time and I don't have a lot of time to get my wife's Explore sport. so here goes.

Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 4x4 Auto 5r55e

This past spring we started getting the 2-3 shift flair and the flashing OD light. I thought it was low on fluid so I checked it it was fine. Then thought it was a plugged filter so i bought new fluid and filter and replaced them. still same problem (of course I didn't know what it was back then) so we parked it for the summer. I

So I am working on it now before winter I went and bought a ford reman valve body off ebay "bench tested yadda yadda" all new solenoids etc. I start up the Exploder and DRIVE IT to where it is parked now . Two weeks ago I did the VB swap . I did not have a torque wrench that went lower than 120 inch/pounds so I couldn't torque it properly . I just tightened it up to where it felt when I broke the bolts all loose .
Well then I put it all back together with another new filter and fluid. Jump started it cause the battery had went dead. and let it run for about 10 minutes . then try it and nothing it wont go foward in any gear or reverse. So I have borrowed a smaller Torque wrench and have the the pan off again .

So where do I start with finding out why it will not move.... well other than I should of bought and installed a drain plug

Old 11-22-2009, 08:25 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I would make sure the shift plunger on the VB got back in the fork on the shift lever.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:17 AM
lugwrench
New User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wtroger
I would make sure the shift plunger on the VB got back in the fork on the shift lever.
That's exactly what it was . How could I over look that thank you.

but Now I still have the 2-3 shift flare I guess I will next try the band adjust that was in BrooklynBay's thread -> Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

Old 11-28-2009, 10:58 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Good call wtroger!!!!

Old 12-13-2009, 09:04 AM
mitch_c
Junior User
I have an 02 Ranger 3.0L auto.... the trans has sloppy/lazy shift... any suggestions? 70K on it..

Old 12-13-2009, 09:35 AM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have these issues been "fixed" in the later years? If so when?

I have an '07 w/ 34K on the clock and don't have any issues.

Is there any additional maintenance I can do ( besides the regular schedule) to eliminate or at least postpone these issues. The truck is lightly driven...

Old 12-13-2009, 11:17 AM
mitch_c
Junior User
Question

As a further comment on my trans issue, Ihave a 99 Ranger with the same engine trans config, has 116K on it and no problems.... I'm just confused as to what would be the problem causing sloppy shifting, etc..

Old 12-19-2009, 06:06 PM
rlngx4
New User
Originally Posted by rlngx4
I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. It has a 5r55e transmission.Sometimes when i'm driving home from work and I stop at the stop sign the vehicle starts to shake and dies.What used to work all the time was shift to neutral , coast to a stop and shift to reverse- put back in drive and then no problems for the rest of the trip.Now I have to coast to a stop and put it in park turn it off and restart and its good to drive again.I have not seen this problem on any other website.It doesn't do this everytime.It only happens if I go 35/40 mph then when I slow down to around 20mph is when the shaking happens. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
I took my truck to a tranny shop and he counldn't find anything wrong.So I had him flush it and no luck.I have found that when it starts shaking ( around 20 mph only after reaching at least 35/40 mph) if I turn the o/d switch off and on it shifts and no problems.I have noticed at highway speeds if I try to pass while pushing on the acc. it acts like theres a miss but it doesn't do it any other time could it be related?Anybody have any advise? It's doing it almost everytime I drive it.
Thanks

Old 12-27-2009, 05:21 PM
__Arod__
New User
Bad VB? Or Trans?

I'm having a shift issue as well and I dont know if its a bad VB or not so I thought i'd ask. Here goes. When driving, then first shift will NOT HAPPEN unless i let off the gas for a good second and press back on softly. All the other gears go in, but not as fast as it use too.. Kinda acts lazy. I've replaced the filter and fluid but no help. When I place it into drive, i dont wanna say slam but it jerks into gear. It seems sometimes it doesnt have enough pressure or something cause when i start it it feels like I have no power until about 15seconds. Anyway any help would be appreciated! Startin last year in school here pretty soon so I gotta get this thing runnin again smooth.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:50 AM
rlngx4
New User
Arod
I had my transmission flushed twice in 6 months and it didn't do any good so I went and bought a can of Sea Foam Tran Tune.When I put it in within the first 20 miles of driving I noticed a difference.After about 60 miles of driving the problem has dissappeared completely.I was going to use lucas trans fix but people didn't have alot of good things to say about it.I didn't find anyone who had anything bad to say about the Sea Foam.I bought it at Oreilly's for $10.I think I had gunk in the V.B. and it cleaned it out.

Quick Reply: 4r55e 5r55e Ranger / Explorer Transmission Problems - CLICK HERE