Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

4r55e 5r55e Ranger / Explorer Transmission Problems - CLICK HERE

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 02:20 PM
grzmnky67
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a 5r55e and i just rebuilt it but still don't have first or reverse. replace dthe valve body assy . can it be the converter? email is biggdogg672000@yahoo.com. please help me if u can

Last edited by grzmnky67; 12-30-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:31 PM
karageorge2
Freshman User
about a couple months after doing the valve body deal I am now getting a P0756 code (shift solenoid b ckt performance or a stuck off position) cel with flashing o/d on 96 V6 2wd. Throws this after truck has been driven for a while.

I was looking at replacing SS2 and the internal harness. in the valve body write-up it was mentioned about not removing the gold screws that secure the bracket for the solenoids. So how would I go about replacing just the shift solenoid?

Thanks

Old 01-30-2008, 11:33 AM
kel_bs
New User
5R44E in 2003 ranger

Ok I've been in the wrong forum, forgive me. I've got 03 Ranger XLT automatic 5R44E trans. I've replaced valve body, still have small clunk into rev., skipping 2nd and/or hard shift to 3rd, no codes, no flashing OD and 1st gear does slow engine. I 've read all threads and I have noticed a couple of things. Driving at lower speed trans shifts fine. Not until I'm speeding from stop into 1st it clunks into either 2nd or 3rd (the diag machine says 1st to 3rd) I now have a sweaking(as if something needs to be greased) under driver's seat and under the dashboard/driveshaft or steering column/wheel????? Can't really pinpoint where in the steering it's coming from.

Anyway, it's headed back to the trans shop next week I will report back then. Any suggestions about the sweaking????? Thanks and I appre any help.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:01 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Maybe try raising the rear wheels on jack stands & operate it, or have someone do it while you do a walk around & see if you can isolate the noise, or maybe narrow it down to a tighter area.

On the shift problems, are you certain the specified fluid was used & it's at the correct level on the tranny dipstick????

Was the tranny filter replaced????

Is the tranny pump flow volume & fluid pressures in spec????

Last edited by pawpaw; 01-30-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:06 PM
kel_bs
New User
The trans shop seemed to think it has a 02 explorer trans in it so he used a "shell" brand trans fluid?????? The filter, pan gasket and 7 qts trans fluid changed. He didn't seem to be aware it needed mercon V???????
The sweaking happens when I hit dips and bumps in the road I will check the pressure and get back

Old 01-30-2008, 02:19 PM
thomcasey
New User
Hmmm. I have an 02 Mountaineer, and it requires Mercron V, according to the dealer.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:51 PM
young22buck
New User
hey hows it going? i have a 2000 ranger and im havin trouble finding the problem....all my forward gears are in-opperable, as soon as you put it in gear the engine stalls. but my reverse gear is fine?? any ideas??anything helps

Old 01-30-2008, 03:16 PM
pawpaw
Originally Posted by kel_bs
The trans shop seemed to think it has a 02 explorer trans in it so he used a "shell" brand trans fluid?????? The filter, pan gasket and 7 qts trans fluid changed. He didn't seem to be aware it needed mercon V???????
The sweaking happens when I hit dips and bumps in the road I will check the pressure and get back
Lots of unknowns here, but at least they changed the tranny filter, so if the tranny pump is ok, & the cooler & lines aren't clogged up, flow/volume should be ok.

So they did a partial 7qt tranny fluid change, with a unknown Shell product, thats now mixed with x? qts of old unknown fluid, of unknown condition, not a good idea imo.

So with them only using 7 qts of fluid, this was just a drop the pan, clean it & the magnet, replace the valve body, filter, pan gasket & add 7 qts of new fluid.
No cooler, line, or tranny flush was done????

So this was a transmission shop that wasn't sure about which tranny the vehicle has & didn't know what fluid was required, in the tranny they were servicing????
Has the tranny been changed out on this vehicle????

What kind of shape was the old fluid in?????
Were you having shifting problems before the tranny service & valve body work???

I'd get a warmed up fluid level check asap.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:26 PM
pawpaw
Originally Posted by young22buck
hey hows it going? i have a 2000 ranger and im havin trouble finding the problem....all my forward gears are in-opperable, as soon as you put it in gear the engine stalls. but my reverse gear is fine?? any ideas??anything helps
Welcome to FTE.

Did this problem come about suddenly after some event????

If so it kinda sounds like the torque converter may be locked up.

How is your tranny fluid condition & level????

Old 01-30-2008, 04:31 PM
mgicfngrs
New User
Hello, My 1st ever post here. But I'm also one of the lucky, (unlucky), guys to have problems with my 99 3.0 ranger transmission. (76000mi) It has been great until about a month ago. when I kicked it down getting on the E-way there was nothing there. Lifted a little bit and it shifted into at least drive. OD was working, Checked the fluid as soon as I got home and it was fine. But slowly it was starting to shift more and more like it had a shift kit in it. Well last Friday, I turned onto the last stretch to home and it hit a mean 2nd gear then the OD light started to flash. I went right to the tranny shop that built the C-6 In my Bronco, He put it on his scanner and he said it's showing a shift servo code. I drove it sat to work, It was fine cold ,but it was getting worse the warmer it got. So back I went to get it in. Left it Sun because he wasnt sure he'd get to it on Monday. So Tuesday I stopped after work to find out what was going on ,and he said well the servo didn't solve the problem. He said it has to come out. he thought the 2nd gear band was gone. I read most of the posts, and It seems most of the 4r55's and 5r55's can go at any time. Bummer My wifes 98 = 113000 still no signs of problems. Is the separater plate and gasket the most common problem? I still Like old school lol thanks (79 Bronco XLT 429 C-6 on 36 Swamper TRXS).

Old 01-31-2008, 08:31 AM
young22buck
New User
well it was driving fine in march. i came home on leave from iraq and drove it. i left it to family (first bad idea) it drove fine for the most part then my brother went boggin in it in july and it started at that time and hasnt been right since. my father in law has been looking at it and found a wire that has 0 voltage. that should have 12v. he traced it as far as he could but lost it and has no type of layout of the wiring for it.could it be a censor?

Old 01-31-2008, 05:04 PM
7702fordboy
Freshman User
hey all i have a question abput my 02 ranger 3.0 with the 5 speed auto. i will be driving, having to speed up to merge into traffic i depress the go pedal and it down shifts into 2-3 then the next shift it falls out of gear revs go up ,truck goes no where. i let off falls back into gear(hard hit in) and everything seems ok. it did this 3 times today. does any body have a idea what it is ? any thought and comments appricated.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:01 AM
mgicfngrs
New User
Just a follow up on my 99 Ranger 3.0 4r55e tranny problem. I had it overhauled with the following. 1 Master kit, 1 Filter, 2 Intermediate/Overdrive Bands,1 Shift Solenoid, 1 Manual Lever Position Sensor, 1 Input Sensor, Remanufactured Valve Body, 1 Torque Converter. 11 Qts. Mercon V. Shifts great again. Wallet now needs a rebuild!

Old 02-15-2008, 01:15 PM
soundman502
Senior User
Well, just to chime in and add to the list, I just bought a '95 XLT 4x4, with I think 175,000 miles, and it's pulling some similar stunts. It shifts great normally, but the light comes on and everything goes to crap. I'll be testing for the stuff mentioned here, and post back.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:05 PM
hotroddually
Posting Guru
my 2001 ranger 4x4 ,4 litre,5r55e is having similar shift problems.im greatful for this thread.im going to see if this will help my problems and resolve the issue. thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: 4r55e 5r55e Ranger / Explorer Transmission Problems - CLICK HERE