Print Wikipost

4r55e 5r55e Ranger / Explorer Transmission Problems - CLICK HERE

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 10:31 AM
wherermykeys
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi everyone, first post here...

I've read through this whole post but no one seems to be having the same prob as me. I have a 94 B4000 4.0 2WD...when I shift into D from Park, there's a significant delay of up to two seconds, then it falls into gear HARD. the whole truck lurches no matter how hard I'm on the brakes. It feels the same as if you were to rev it up and then throw it into gear.

It shifts fine once moving, no OD light, no other problems...it just feels REALLY bad when I put it into Drive.

thanks!

Old 07-22-2007, 07:51 AM
splattered
New User
95 Ranger transmission problem

Hello to the group, this is my first post. I own a 95 Ranger, 4WD, 4.0L, auto with about 130K on it. I would like to keep it, but the transmission problem is making me want to dump it. The thing will be on the road for about 20 minutes or so, usually on the highway, and it will do what I think is downshift for a moment. The rpm will jump up from around 2k (less if I'm not on the highway) to about 3.5k and them come back down with a jolt. Sometimes it almost seems to come out of gear entirely, not sure. It can happen just once, or it can happen in clusters. It is affected in a big way by outside temperature. The higher the temp, the more likely it is to happen. In fact, in cold weather it does not do it at all. It will happen if the OD is on or off. It will not do it at all if 1 or 2 is selected. Recently got it flushed, and per suggestions from other people I changed the throttle position sensor and vehicle speed sensor. This did not help. What do you think? Big thanks............

Old 08-23-2007, 08:46 PM
standarla
New User
Smile Thanks to all in this Thread!

Not knowing much about my '00 Ranger transmission, I got enough info here to adequately assess the possible problem(s). We started noting slippage between 1-2 gears and O/D light starting to flash. DTCs pulled up P0732 and P1756. Fordboy's manual first engine braking test was key to the real problem: a blown valve body gasket.

Not really wanting to be a mechanic, we took it to the local AAMCO, explained the problem, DTCs, and the info we got here on the probable cause. We were ready for the expected diagnosis: "need a rebuild". However, we were quite surprised when they agreed and showed us the torn gasket! Upgrade was done and total parts & labor = $281. Tranny now works great!

Thanks again. You have save us mucho $$$!

Old 09-08-2007, 12:07 PM
fwadmin
New User
I have read this thread and seem to have a different problem. I have a '96 V6 EB with 150K miles. The transmission shifts very smooth however over the past several months I have noticed increased gear grinding noise. My solution was to turn the radio up but lately the gear noise is pretty loud. It is present at all speeds forward and reverse. It's bad enough that I don't feel comfortable driving it now and haven’t taken it anywhere yet. The fluid has been changed (both exchange and drop pan) and the level is correct. Any ideas?

Old 09-10-2007, 11:46 AM
thomcasey
New User
Hello all,

I have read over this thread, and cannot seem to find a reference to my issue. I have a 02 Mountaineer V6 with 95k miles. The tranny shifts fine, no slipping or anything. the issue I am having is once warm, when you come to a stop, and let off the break, you can feel a "bump" from the drivetrain, like the tranny isnt fully downshifted yet. My wife thought the brakes were sticking, but I feel it is the tranny. I did have the tranny flushed 9k miles ago at the dealer. Any idea's?

Old 09-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by thomcasey
Hello all,

I have read over this thread, and cannot seem to find a reference to my issue. I have a 02 Mountaineer V6 with 95k miles. The tranny shifts fine, no slipping or anything. the issue I am having is once warm, when you come to a stop, and let off the break, you can feel a "bump" from the drivetrain, like the tranny isnt fully downshifted yet. My wife thought the brakes were sticking, but I feel it is the tranny. I did have the tranny flushed 9k miles ago at the dealer. Any idea's?
Something else to consider is a driveshaft issue, maybe a sticky slip yoke, or less likely, bad u-joints.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:56 AM
thomcasey
New User
Originally Posted by Rockledge
Something else to consider is a driveshaft issue, maybe a sticky slip yoke, or less likely, bad u-joints.
I had thought of that, but cannot find any play, plus it is so smooth when shifting from P-D, R-d, even while moving. Never a nudge or cluck. Everything feels real tight under there. It is just a nudge afetr stopping from driving speeds, and it is only 70% of the time.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:28 PM
RabidJade
Senior User
I will have to attest that I did valve body gasket replacement with a bonded gasket and found a torn gasket. This didn't fix my transmission problems and now I get about 2 weeks without problems and a few weeks with problems. I think it has something to do with the solenoids since the issue seems to be second gear but I neither have the money or time to have it fixed right now.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:58 PM
rejean
New User
i wan't to know your opinion about my 5r55e
B4000 2000 4x4 auto
-Hard shift 1 to 2
-no slippage
-no Engine braking in 1 mode
-Sound comming from tranny ( from the front of tranny )

Please help me and
the parts number will be appreciated.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:50 PM
pbaxter
New User
Originally Posted by fordboy_52
I am making a sticky for the numerous people with transmission problems. If you own a ranger or explorer you might be experiencing numerous shifting problems. If you would feel free to post here so we can have a running record of problems and multiple people who can assure that we have a correct fix.

I also have a tutorial available for the infamous " valve body " gasket. click the following link

https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...dy_Gasket.html

Thanks

Matt
I have replaced the valve body gasket's and cleaned everything per fordboy_52 instructions, but still no first or OD. Also no down shift . I have tried engine pull for first and it might as well be in netural. I can shift to 2 then third they are ok. This is a 1999 Ford Ranger 2.5 4 cyl with 4r44e. I am about to take a wenchester and put it out of my life. Help

Old 09-26-2007, 06:00 PM
pbaxter
New User
pbaxter to fordboy_52

Where did you get the TSB replacement(mine was kt315p-7m203-ja) Can not fine the upgrade or kit you are showing in your pictures. I did everthing else but the round chome or shiny piston, juust cleaned and replace still no first or over drive. P1747 replaced speed valve on rear drive sharft still no help. I have checked all the valve body soleniods and they check out fine but I still get all the codes P0743, P0743, P0755, and P0760. The wrong mercon was put in but I have remove all from torque and trans and replaced with mecron V. I know the 1st and over drive is there. Help Man in Wylie, Texas digging hole to put this truck in and cover it up.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:36 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
um, i got mine from ford. you should be able to have a dealership pull up all of the tsb's for your vehicle. contact numberdummby and he might be able to help you as well

Matt

Old 09-30-2007, 05:46 PM
7622RM
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by gearheadz80
I have a '97 and a '02 4x4 ranger, both 5 speed auto. The '97 just rebuilt by a former ford tech that went out on his own. He said the bonded gasket is now superceeded and is now updated to a thicker plate instead, He found a bonded plate but they are getting hard to come by now. Anyone else hear of this?
Yes. I've done the TSB on two '97 5R transmissions and the separator plates did not come with bonded gaskets. In fact, in the TSB, the part list specifically calls out the upper and lower separator plate gaskets for the '97. TSB 03-22-10 here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...2&postcount=19

Old 09-30-2007, 05:54 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i got a sep plate with bonded gaskets on both sides, much easier and more reliable

Matt

Old 09-30-2007, 06:11 PM
7622RM
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by fordboy_52
i got a sep plate with bonded gaskets on both sides, much easier and more reliable
According to the TSB, only the '95-'97 model year separator plates require purchasing separate unbonded gaskets. For '98 and up models, there are no separate entries for gaskets: the TSB only lists the separator plate.

From what I gather in all the different threads, I think this implies that only '98 and up separator plates come with bonded gaskets. Separator plates for '97 and older models require purchasing separate gaskets.

For cross reference purposes, here's another thread discussing the same transmission issue: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...irst-gear.html

Quick Reply: 4r55e 5r55e Ranger / Explorer Transmission Problems - CLICK HERE