Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Justin Time
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auxiliary Tank not working

Auxiliary Tank....need help!
<O</O

1996 F-250 PSD with auxiliary fuel tank not working. I can have someone flip the switch on the dash while I am under the truck and I can hear the switch working. When I try to use the tank the truck stalls. Any suggestions on what could be wrong and how to fix the problem?

<O></O>

Thanks

Justin

Last edited by Justin Time; 02-22-2007 at 09:43 PM. Reason: office???
Old 02-22-2007, 10:03 PM
F350_Hauler
Elder User
How much fuel is in the tank? I would recommend taking it down and checking the pick-up tube. They have a tendency to break off from time to time and then it can't get fuel from that tank. They are easy to drop. (4X4) take off the tank skid plate and then undo the bolts for the tank straps and lower the tank down onto makeshift stand which will support the weight of it while you undo the wire and the fuel line. Stop by the parts store first and pick up the set of plastic fuel line disconnect tools for $2.95. They are quick and easy to undo and get out. Then open her up and you'll probably discover a snapped off pick-up tube. You may be able to fix it with a piece of rubber hose if there is still some of the tube left sticking out. Try to keep it lightweight. Don't use hoseclamps.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Justin Time
Senior User
Thanks for the reply. I filled the tank before I knew it didn't work when I bought the truck in August 2005. I would think the fuel in the tank is history. I was told it was the fuel pump inside the tank but there is no pump in the tank. It could be the pick up or a saddle switch that is plugged up. Should I buy a new saddle switch before I drop the tank? Is there a filter or screen inside the switch or between the tank and saddle tank switch? Problem is I have put off repairing the tank until I needed it! I live in Charleston SC. I pulled a 12,500 pound fifth wheel to Chico, Ca. in Dec. Headed back next week to Charleston and would like to have the tank working so I am not forced to spend $4.00 a gallon for diesel fuel again on the way home.

Thanks,
Justin

Last edited by Justin Time; 02-23-2007 at 04:23 PM. Reason: fuel pump
Old 02-23-2007, 05:45 PM
F350_Hauler
Elder User
I have used fuel before that is many years old. Diesel holds on longer than gas. Much longer. The biggest problem with having the fuel in there is the weight. The tanks take 10 minutes of easy work to get out when they are empty. The truck is old enough that you can get a good-sized hose into the fuel spout to syphon it out. 17 gallons is a lot of fuel. You could syphon it right into a big rubbermaid trash can if you clean the can out first. Or syphon it into three 5 gallon cans and keep it in the truck in case you need it on the trip. You could pour 5 gallons in a tank and then top it off with fresh new fuel and it will be fine. New cans are $5 at Walmart and Home Depot. So buy two of them and fill one up and put it right in the front tank and then fill it again and hold onto it until the next time you get fuel. It is after all at least $40 worth of fuel.One more thought, too. I have seen some strange things in the past. I once found a baggie in a tank that would float around and then occasionally cover the pick-up screen. I am not sure if there is an in-line screen along the way before the switch. I kind of doubt it but maybe someone will pipe in who can add some experience with the exact same problem.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:23 PM
aaron o.
Senior User
Is this a factory tank or one in the bed or something? I thought both factory tanks had pumps thats why I ask.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Justin Time
Senior User
Thanks guys. Good point on the old fuel. I assumed the fuel would be toast being a year old but with fuel costing 2.97 and up in California it's worth a shot. This is a factory tank. I listened to the front tank and could not hear a pump running so I don't think they have pumps in the tank. Right?

Justin

Last edited by Justin Time; 02-23-2007 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Tank
Old 02-23-2007, 10:04 PM
14psd
Senior User
Neither tank has a pump in them. They do have screens on the end of the pick up tubes. Drain the tank and check it out is all I can tell ya. After the tank is down check the lines also. Your switch over valve may not be working is all I can think of on this issue. It is not hard to get to, just messy!

Old 02-24-2007, 06:21 PM
aaron o.
Senior User
Sorry, I guess thats what I get for trying to apply gasser knowledge to diesel stuff. Good to know now though. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:34 PM
Justin Time
Senior User
Thanks. Sounds like a simple job I can pay to have done. I don't have a lift and since being rear ended at a stop light I can't lay on my back and work my arms over my head with out getting ill.

Justin